The Queen of the South thread

I've seen it a a few grounds when the attendance is announced,  fans give a round of applause.  Even when the number of travelling fans isn't announced they still applaud,  it's as if they're applauding themselves for attending. 
Iv seen a lot of folk ridiculing this but in Scotland for me theres no issue being a bit self congratulatory about resisting the arse cheeks and turning out for the diddies.

We had 1400 at Partick yesterday. I think its ok to feel proud of that.

Just now, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I've seen it a a few grounds when the attendance is announced,  fans give a round of applause.  Even when the number of travelling fans isn't announced they still applaud,  it's as if they're applauding themselves for attending. 

At Palmerston the applause is specifically aimed at the away support. They wait until the away figure is announced, then turn towards them and applaud. Happens every game, at least in the East Stand where I sit.  Very respectful in my opinion. Can't see it catching on though. 

I’ve always been quite ambivalent about Naysmith. I like his post match interviews where he comes across as really honest and I agree with his comments nearly all the time. The only thing that really counts against him is his negative approach to some games, particularly away, like going to Tannadice and not laying a glove on them. His signings have been pretty good for the most part. But sometimes it has looked like he has inherited somebody else’s squad that he doesn’t have confidence in.

Both his and Chisholm's stats are inflated by having Dobbie in the team. I don’t think we would be near the top 4 without Dobbie. And the results when he hasn’t played are more like Gus’s record. Yesterday, although far from being a one man performance, Dobbie scored twice and had one assist. And if he had been playing for County, they would have won, imo. The same could be said just about every week. And despite having Dobbie, our record against the top 4 teams hasn’t been great, although it is showing signs of improvement this season.

It is difficult to know how Naysmith would have got on without having Dobbie. Or how anybody else would have got on instead of Naysmith. What has been good this season is that the team has a bit more character about it. In the past, we have sometimes looked like we’re not that bothered about losing a challenge or even a goal. Livi showed last season what can be achieved when there is a real determination about the team. So, if we could replicate that and with Dobbie to finish things off, we might have a decent chance of making the play-offs.

1 minute ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

At Palmerston the applause is specifically aimed at the away support. They wait until the away figure is announced, then turn towards them and applaud. Happens every game, at least in the East Stand where I sit.  Very respectful in my opinion. Can't see it catching on though. 

Giving out the number of away supporters is a (relatively)  new thing at Palmerston and the attendance was usually applauded before that change happened.  I've not really got a problem with it but it seems a bit strange thing to happen.  

40 minutes ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

When they announce the official attendance at Palmerston they include the number of away fans. When the away figure is announced, the crowd turn towards the Terregles end of the East Stand and give them a round of applause. 

Is this just a Palmerston thing? Or maybe just an East Stand thing? Don't remember it happening at any other grounds. 

This seems to be done pretty much everywhere. It was brought up on Off The Ball a while back asking how, when and why it started, nobody seemed to know. It's a nice wee bit of respect for people making the effort to support their team. 

1 hour ago, DG.Roma said:

This seems to be done pretty much everywhere. It was brought up on Off The Ball a while back asking how, when and why it started, nobody seemed to know. It's a nice wee bit of respect for people making the effort to support their team. 

If it was on Off The Ball I'm pretty sure to have missed it.  

Cowan makes it very difficult to listen to. 

All this crap about Naysmits points stats being obscured by Dobbie being with us is nonsense....

Its like saying Spurs would be mid table without Kane. 

Real Madrid would have won f**k all without Ronaldo.

That line of conversation is wasting everyone’s time because you may be correct but at the end of the day we do have Dobbie, Spurs have Kane and Madrid had Ronaldo.

24 minutes ago, SueSue said:

All this crap about Naysmits points stats being obscured by Dobbie being with us is nonsense....

That line of conversation is wasting everyone’s time because you may be correct but at the end of the day we do have Dobbie, Spurs have Kane and Madrid had Ronaldo.

It isn’t nonsense because Dobbie is playing at a level below his ability whereas the other players you mention aren’t. It is therefore impossible to properly assess Naysmith as he is benefitting from having a player who shouldn’t really be playing for us. It might be wrong to say where we should or shouldn’t be in the table with and without Dobbie. But that isn’t the issue here. The issue is assessing Naysmith’s ability as a manager and that can’t properly be done, imo, until he manages us, or somebody else, without a player who is so much better than most of the other players in the division. Kane is a good player, but he isn’t substantially better than the strikers at the other top clubs. Therefore the managers of those clubs can all pretty much be assessed on their merits. Naysmith could only properly be assessed if we didn’t have Dobbie or if everybody else in the top 5 had an equivalent.

You might disagree, but there is no need to describe it as “crap” and “nonsense”.

33 minutes ago, SueSue said:

No, you're wasting everyone's time, because we're comparing managers so we have to take account of significant variables. Have you not been arguing that GN is doing especially well given the current budget limits? It's the same principle. 

I think this discussion shows the danger of unlicensed keyboards. There's been absolutely no-one saying GN is doing a bad job. It's pretty evenly 50-50 those who are now convinced he's a fundamentally good manager and those who think he's doing well right now and just need a bit more evidence before they will  relax and say he's a success.

Then you get one or two outliers who think he's a messiah, and anyone who tries to reason with them comes across as negative.

I think everyone can agree that, at least, GN has grown into his role and is now doing very well.

Edited by Margaret Thatcher

Naysmith’s record compared to his divisional rivals is curiously difficult to assess, because he’s simultaneously operating with one huge advantage (Dobbie) and one huge disadvantage (the shallowest first team squad in the division).

It seems to me blindingly obvious that standing fourth in league, and playing some great football at times,  in a season when we can rarely fill the subs bench is a formidable achievement,  though the curious case of one exceptional player (who is head and shoulders above his peers) slumming it at a level well below his ability does provide some mitigation for those who would wish to temper the manager’s achievements with the customary brand of Dumfries ‘glass half empty’ pessimism.

2 hours ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

No, you're wasting everyone's time, because we're comparing managers so we have to take account of significant variables. Have you not been arguing that GN is doing especially well given the current budget limits? It's the same principle. 

Sorry you are wrong.

You can not judge a managers record by a single players performance. It is far too easy an excuse to say he is this that or the other based on one player.

personally I think he is doing a very good job given the resources he has. I accept what ever tactics he has played to to get us where we are.

significant variables for Queens are Dobbie, Very Small Budget. One a plus and one a negative. 

2 hours ago, Flash said:

It isn’t nonsense because Dobbie is playing at a level below his ability whereas the other players you mention aren’t. It is therefore impossible to properly assess Naysmith as he is benefitting from having a player who shouldn’t really be playing for us. It might be wrong to say where we should or shouldn’t be in the table with and without Dobbie. But that isn’t the issue here. The issue is assessing Naysmith’s ability as a manager and that can’t properly be done, imo, until he manages us, or somebody else, without a player who is so much better than most of the other players in the division. Kane is a good player, but he isn’t substantially better than the strikers at the other top clubs. Therefore the managers of those clubs can all pretty much be assessed on their merits. Naysmith could only properly be assessed if we didn’t have Dobbie or if everybody else in the top 5 had an equivalent.

You might disagree, but there is no need to describe it as “crap” and “nonsense”.

You are highlighting the big plus of Dobbie but fail to mention the hinderence of no money to spend.

3 minutes ago, SueSue said:

You are highlighting the big plus of Dobbie but fail to mention the hinderence of no money to spend.

Well, that’s because I was responding to the specific assertion that Naysmith’s record being affected by the availability of Dobbie is “crap” and “nonsense”.

Oh and you have chosen to forget Ronaldo ay Real Madrid. Did he make his manager at Madrid look bob joe average?

Sorry if my choice of words is not to your liking. I will try harder Flash.

So, you don’t think having Dobbie at this level has helped Naysmith’s record at all. Fair enough. Probably best to leave it there as no amount of discussion will persuade you otherwise.

Oh and you have chosen to forget Ronaldo ay Real Madrid. Did he make his manager at Madrid look bob joe average?

Sorry if my choice of words is not to your liking. I will try harder Flash.

Why so defensive about this?

We've just had a couple of good wins that have a play-off place again looking attainable.   That's quite good given that we have poor gates and a small squad.

When considered in the context of us having the division's outstanding player though, it looks a slightly less notable achievement.

Nobody is hammering Naysmith here.  It's just that some of us are considering that context in appraising the manager's performance, and are a bit less fulsome in their praise of him than some others.

I wouldn't have thought that should cause any of us a problem.