The Queen of the South thread

10 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'd still take a guy relieved of his duties this week as it happens, but I see no pressing need.

For me Naysmith has had to 'manage' in far more difficult circumstances in their qos spells than AJ. I've seen nothing in their respective managerial careers to date that suggests AJ is a better manager than GN. 

Random stats below as i was interested.

Average qos ppg:

Jim McIntyre = 1.56

Kenny Brannigan = 1.50

Gordon Chisholm = 1.44

Gary Naysmith = 1.44

James Fowler = 1.36

Gus Macpherson = 1.00

Stats from:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/

12 minutes ago, Senior_Coconut said:

For me Naysmith has had to 'manage' in far more difficult circumstances in their qos spells than AJ. I've seen nothing in their respective managerial careers to date that suggests AJ is a better manager than GN. 

Random stats below as i was interested.

Average qos ppg:

Jim McIntyre = 1.56

Kenny Brannigan = 1.50

Gordon Chisholm = 1.44

Gary Naysmith = 1.44

James Fowler = 1.36

Gus Macpherson = 1.00

Stats from:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/

Not to mention AJ's stats include us as a full time team in the league below. GN's doing fine lets just go out and support the guy and his team.

Edited by Hawk

17 minutes ago, Hawk said:

Not to mention AJ's stats include us as a full time team in the league below. GN's doing fine lets just go out and support the guy and his team.

Yeah, that's  why i left him out just wanted a comparison of managers with a decent amount of games in the champ.

Wage bill is key though. I'd imagine GN's wage bill is the second lowest on that list. 

I don’t want to detract from what he did as I loved every minute of his spell with us, including as a player. However AJ did have a lot go in his favour with us. He followed the Gus shambles meaning basically anything he did would be an improvement. And as stated the board’s decision to remain full time in a part-time league made his job far easier. He did well in the cups though and competed well against teams from higher leagues something most of our managers struggle with.

I think there is an element of unfinished business in some fans heads because he buggered off before managing us at this level. For me though that ship has sailed. His career since has been underwhelming, and bringing him back would likely meaning employing Sandy Clark. So for me it’s a hard pass.

The only manager on that list I’d consider swapping Naysmith for would be James Fowler who I maintain was harshly sacked. He’s moved onto bigger and better things now and is probably better suited as a coach than a manager but I was a big fan of his.

I don’t want to detract from what he did as I loved every minute of his spell with us, including as a player. However AJ did have a lot go in his favour with us. He followed the Gus shambles meaning basically anything he did would be an improvement. And as stated the board’s decision to remain full time in a part-time league made his job far easier. He did well in the cups though and competed well against teams from higher leagues something most of our managers struggle with.

I think there is an element of unfinished business in some fans heads because he buggered off before managing us at this level. For me though that ship has sailed. His career since has been underwhelming, and bringing him back would likely meaning employing Sandy Clark. So for me it’s a hard pass.

The only manager on that list I’d consider swapping Naysmith for would be James Fowler who I maintain was harshly sacked. He’s moved onto bigger and better things now and is probably better suited as a coach than a manager but I was a big fan of his.

I wouldn’t swap them but I agree with you on all comments. For me, we should be offering Naysmith a new contract, no doubts about it. Constant chopping and changing of managers helps nothing, continuity is the best method for me. Manager knows the squad, knows what he wants to make the squad, probably knows how far he can take the squad with gradual improvement. I think most fans see we’re really not far away from being a decent side. It’d be great to get a 2/3 bodies in and big Brownlie back in fit. Wouldn’t half make a difference. But finances dictate everything, a wee Scottish cup shock wouldn’t go a miss to help them.

Surely the time is right to offer Naysmith a new deal. He is an asset and will be attracting attention from other clubs. Good luck if he moves on, but let’s benefit from this if it happens. He is obviously a hard worker, which is for the benefit of the club.

It’s wrong to say that it’s only down to dobbie, although he’s obviously our star and the formation is set up to support him. The work rate of the entire team yesterday was exceptional and was what won us the game.

Commented on the Ross county managers interview, that it was so full of usual cliches that it said absolutely nothing. Listening to Naysmith’s honest views of the games, including our failings, are like sharing an after match pint with him.

I personally like listening to his pre match interviews where he shares his thoughts on the opposition. To me, it highlights his attention to detail that he is putting into winning points for our club.

As supporters of clubs at this level, I think we have to accept that sometimes we have off days and others have crackers - yesterday for example for the league leaders. One our bad days, this potentially makes our performances look poorer or defensive than is intended. He obviously likes to hit teams quickly on the break, which we are capable of and have done very effectively this season.

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not advocating replacing Naysmith - he's doing fine.

I just found the idea that we're very lucky he's not yet been poached by a bigger club, such is his brilliance, somewhat over the top.  

I'd also place Skelton in the 'unfinished business' category.

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not advocating replacing Naysmith - he's doing fine.
I just found the idea that we're very lucky he's not yet been poached by a bigger club, such is his brilliance, somewhat over the top.  
I'd also place Skelton in the 'unfinished business' category.
They were wanking over him on the radio yesterday, as they are prone to do whenever fixtures force them down the leagues. Like they have uncovered some hidden gem in Naysmith or Goodwin, in reality the rest of us know what these guys are about.

GN does a fine job on such a restricted budget. I have been impressed how he helps to develop loan players who are recommended to us by his contacts. A few more lads, like Callum Semple, from the excellent Sheffield United Academy system , won't go amiss 

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I don't think JT's departure had anything to do with Naysmith tbh.

JT's departure from the Club may not all have been down to Naysmith but once he was cut off from involvement in 1st team matters,  which was done by Naysmith,  it was only a matter of time before other matters forced him out. 

Nothing to do with the football but been meaning to ask this for a long time. 

When they announce the official attendance at Palmerston they include the number of away fans. When the away figure is announced, the crowd turn towards the Terregles end of the East Stand and give them a round of applause. 

Is this just a Palmerston thing? Or maybe just an East Stand thing? Don't remember it happening at any other grounds. 

Just now, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

When they announce the official attendance at Palmerston they include the number of away fans. When the away figure is announced, the crowd turn towards the Terregles end of the East Stand and give them a round of applause. 

Is this just a Palmerston thing? Or maybe just an East Stand thing? Don't remember it happening at any other grounds. 

I think our fans know how difficult it is with costs /time/work/  following your team away from home .

6 minutes ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

I've seen it a a few grounds when the attendance is announced,  fans give a round of applause.  Even when the number of travelling fans isn't announced they still applaud,  it's as if they're applauding themselves for attending.