The Queen of the South thread

Naismith to be fair he gets called all the names under the sun on here every time a so called poor result crops up.

Then BANG !!!! A couple of good results and he is friggin wonderful.

GW in my opinion has done a cracking job over his 100 games to get the best possible results with the finances he has at his disposal.

That in itself will certainly not go unnoticed in League 1 or 2 down South. 

He has done a great job with Kane, Kerr, Semple which will enable him to attract good loan players, again a huge positive.

Be careful what many on here wish for. We have an excellent young manager. Many other managers could not cope with the restrictions he works under.

19 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Today was great and the recent changes look positive, but any sensible jury would remain out as regards Naysmith.

Let's not pretend otherwise please.

As I posted in the ICT match thread, we're now only 6 points behind Ayr. They have received, deserved, praise from all quarters. Why, then, would the jury be out on Naysmith?

6 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

He's got Dobbie, Stephen Dobbie

I just don't think you understand...

Oh yes I forgot Dobbie made that great one on one save today didn’t he.

Oh yes he scored Maguires goal as well didn’t he.

Oh and he played CM instead of Low today.......Silly me.

Of course Sir Stephen is our stellar player but he doesn’t do it all...... As he would readily admit.

3 minutes ago, Mr X said:

As I posted in the ICT match thread, we're now only 6 points behind Ayr. They have received, deserved, praise from all quarters. Why, then, would the jury be out on Naysmith?

Totally agree Mr X. 

The fella is doing a very good job. 

1 minute ago, Mr X said:

The jury's out because we've delivered dismal displays as well as terrific ones.

I'm not attempting to piss on today, but a bit of perspective is called for when people are making out we're so lucky to still have him.

We're incredibly lucky to have someone, but he's not to be found in the dugout on Saturdays.

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

The jury's out because we've delivered dismal displays as well as terrific ones.

I'm not attempting to piss on today, but a bit of perspective is called for when people are making out we're so lucky to still have him.

We're incredibly lucky to have someone, but he's not to be found in the dugout on Saturdays.

We have, theres no denying that. But, Id argue with a small budget and small squad thats inevitable. When Ayr and ICT play their game in hand, we'll either be sitting 4th or 5th but only 6 points off second. Im not sure how you can argue that that is anything but a good job.

2 minutes ago, Mr X said:

We have, theres no denying that. But, Id argue with a small budget and small squad thats inevitable. When Ayr and ICT play their game in hand, we'll either be sitting 4th or 5th but only 6 points off second. Im not sure how you can argue that that is anything but a good job.

On the flip side, we are only 6 points ahead of a team that just sacked their manager...

Don't take this as me criticising Naysmith, I think the board should be extending his contract asap. I'm just not sure that being 6 points behind Ayr is a huge glowing achievement.

2 minutes ago, Mr X said:

"Good" I can just about go with, although I might have struggled only 3 weeks ago.

The posts that prompted me to call for perspective however, were not merely suggesting a "good" performance.

Fortunately you are in a minority. 

As you think so low of the manager who else do you recommend would come and do a better job?

Dont go all quiet now you have been asked a straight forward question

2 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

On the flip side, we are only 6 points ahead of a team that just sacked their manager...

Don't take this as me criticising Naysmith, I think the board should be extending his contract asap. I'm just not sure that being 6 points behind Ayr is a huge glowing achievement.

Considering the level Ayr have been playing this season I would suggest 6 points behind them is excellent.

The Pars sacked their manager because they spend a fortune on wages, have a bigger infrastructure than most clubs and are shite. 

Just now, SueSue said:

Fortunately you are in a minority. 

As you think so low of the manager who else do you recommend would come and do a better job?

Dont go all quiet now you have been asked a straight forward question

I'd still take a guy relieved of his duties this week as it happens, but I see no pressing need.

It's actually going quite well with Naysmith just now.  

I don't think especially lowly of him.  I'm just not desperate to proclaim him a genius we're bloody lucky to have either.  I'm not convinced that really does place me in a tiny minority but if it does, I'll live with it.

50 minutes ago, NotAFan said:

I'll never understand how Gary continues to go under the radar whenever managerial vacancies come up. No failures as a manager. You're very lucky QOTS fans.

Did he not get relegated at East Fife?

24 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Today was great and the recent changes look positive, but any sensible jury would remain out as regards Naysmith.

Let's not pretend otherwise please.

3 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Because we are six points behind them and they also have a game in hand. And they are a newly promoted team while we're not. And while currently achieving our target (play off places) we're doing so by one point and the team below us also has a game in hand. 

That's just to say why you can't compare with Ayr. I'm not trying to criticise his performance.

Lately there have been more things to praise about than to criticise. But, we're only just halfway through the season and just on course to achieve our target having not done so before. IItis unfortunate, but fair to say the jury  is still out.

But we've just had a cracking win and that's what we should be focusing on. It's a great night to be involved with Gary Naysmith's team!

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

I'd still take a guy relieved of his duties this week as it happens, but I see no pressing need.

It's actually going quite well with Naysmith just now.  

I don't think especially lowly of him.  I'm just not desperate to proclaim him a genius we're bloody lucky to have either.  I'm not convinced that really does place me in a tiny minority but if it does, I'll live with it.

I am not saying he is a genius nor did I say a tiny minority.

i said he is doing a very good job and you are in A minority.

7 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

As Suesue said, though, thats far more about different levels of expectations based around very different levels of resource. A better gauge would be that we are 13 points ahead of the relegation play off place.

"Good" I can just about go with, although I might have struggled only 3 weeks ago.

The posts that prompted me to call for perspective however, were not merely suggesting a "good" performance.

Fair enough. I still think you'd struggle to make a case for how we could be performing better - overall, I mean, not in terms of individual performances

1 minute ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

Did he not get relegated at East Fife?

Because we are six points behind them and they also have a game in hand. And they are a newly promoted team while we're not. And while currently achieving our target (play off places) we're doing so by one point and the team below us also has a game in hand. 

That's just to say why you can't compare with Ayr. I'm not trying to criticise his performance.

Lately there have been more things to praise about than to criticise. But, we're only just halfway through the season and just on course to achieve our target having not done so before. IItis unfortunate, but fair to say the jury  is still out.

But we've just had a cracking win and that's what we should be focusing on. It's a great night to be involved with Gary Naysmith's team!

I made the comparison with Ayr simply based on the plaudits they have received. They might be newly promoted but there will be little difference, I would guess, in terms of budget or even expectation.

Yes, it’s a privilege right now to watch Dobbie play. He’s the best striker I have seen  playing for us in over 50 years. However, even when he scored four v Ayr, we played brilliantly as a team. Likewise today. I think our manager, after an uninspiring home record last season, is showing much promise. Onwards and upwards.

As I say it is a great night to be involved with Gary Naysmith's team and we're on a good run. I think this year the team has discovered its potential and is now working out how to consistently fulfil it. That is happening against a tricky financial backdrop which the manager is navigating with sensible squad construction, developing young players well, and solid credentials in the loan and transfer market. There is possibly a trajectory here of a manager who will  stay long term and build something great. Fingers crossed. BUT there have been lots of question marks. That's going to be true of anyone who is a long term success, but it's also going to be true of anyone who turns out mediocre/failing. As I say I see many signs he will go on to be a great success but it's not a done deal yet... so jury is out.

Edited by Margaret Thatcher