The Queen of the South thread

2 hours ago, BeeJay said:

A fantastic result up in Inverness yesterday which hopefully will help lift the spirits of the doom and gloom merchants. But aside from this result I think it is worth reading about the work the Community Team put in behind the scenes to promote our fantastic club (report on OS). What Dan and the rest of the team do every week working in the community with young and old sometimes goes unnoticed but it is nevertheless and important part of what Queen of the South are about. Well done to all involved.

Yes it was heartening to read about all the good work the club does in the community, a lot of which I didn't know about or only knew minor details of.  We should probably blow our own trumpet more often about this kind of thing.

Well done to all involved.

That's Frizzel away back, was looking forward to seeing him play when he came, shame it didn't work out. 

Also, very interested to find out what happens to Semple, wether he ends up out on loan elsewhere or if he's in and around the first team at Sheffield United. 

My take on Dykes is because we have Dobbie he gets on by ok but I think its more to do with how special the Dobbster is than Dykes being some kind of great player. Put it this way we could get Chris Templeman out of retirement to flick on balls to Dobbie and hed be called "crucial" For me the guy lacks bravery, awareness, instinct and a left foot. I do think a player of his ilk suits the Dobster though so having any targetman can help Dobbie get into the game as the Championship is very long ball orientated. In a team without a special talisman I feel his qualities would make for a decent centre mid. Hes tenacious, hard working, great in the tackle and is ok at passing. When Dobbie wasnt there I think it was apparent who was key as upfront on his own he was a non entity. 

Edited by football maniac

That's Frizzel away back, was looking forward to seeing him play when he came, shame it didn't work out. 
Also, very interested to find out what happens to Semple, wether he ends up out on loan elsewhere or if he's in and around the first team at Sheffield United. 
Aye I'll certainly be keeping an eye on the boy's progress. With United doing so well just now I highly doubt he'll be getting game time soon, which you'd have thought would have increased our chances of getting Semple back for the season. The signing of the Motherwell boy suggests that's not going to happen. Though it wouldn't surprise me if Naysmith is still after him. The idea of being able to play 7 defenders in one side is probably his wet dream [emoji14]

Personally I think Dykes has been a key player for us this season so far and I would be sorry to see him go (unless we got a seriously decent fee). He does a power of work, he gives opposing defences a hard time, his link up play has improved. He needs to be more efficient at scoring, but his overall game is good. If he goes up to a higher level, a good manager could turn him into something even better, presumably the person doing the buying recognises the promise. 

Unless of course it is all ‘hot air’ and he’s going nowhere.  Which I wouldn’t mind, as I said before, his contribution most games is good.

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aye I'll certainly be keeping an eye on the boy's progress. With United doing so well just now I highly doubt he'll be getting game time soon, which you'd have thought would have increased our chances of getting Semple back for the season. The signing of the Motherwell boy suggests that's not going to happen. Though it wouldn't surprise me if Naysmith is still after him. The idea of being able to play 7 defenders in one side is probably his wet dream emoji14.png

My guess is an English League 1 or 2 side. Hopefully whatever happens, he gets plenty of game time and can continue progressing so well. 

Haha imagine! 7 defenders, Todd, Dykes and Dobbie! He'd be foaming at the mouth 

Edited by QoS_1919

7 hours ago, QoS_1919 said:

Just back from Inverness  What a performance. Our back line are so strong now and its a shame Callum Semple has left. The young man has formed 2 partnerships first with Doyle and now with Fordyce They both played so well and can you imagine how it was to see our 2 Wing Backs in the opposing area and getting the goal that put us back in the game. 2500 in the ground and our 200 ish out shouted the opposition completely  You can see in the celebrations how much the players appreciate the great support

All gone a bit quiet on new signing  surely we are going to sign at least another 2 players .
Do the booking get wiped out from the 1st half of the season if so then that will help us.

Have I miss something here? Is the transfer window closing imminently?!! [emoji848]

I’ve been clearing out my dad’s loft and uncovered this, written by a 14 year old Adamski...
8D488F15-AF5C-4ADD-BC81-6611D290B5AD.thumb.jpeg.b9031d932ce15a3004a28f29bdeeeeac.jpeg

Thankfully now the team is decent
Some of our best times have all been recent
Challenge Cup Finals and Hampden Park
League wins at Forfar, even Denmark

Despite of this the crowds are sparse
As Doonhamers would rather sit on their arse
They make their excuses and reasons why
As they go to the pub and watch BT or Sky

Some say the gaffer is overly cautious
His defensive tactics make them nauseous
Others consider he’s doing a good job
With a budget of a doughnut and two bob

It’s true following Queens can be a bit of a chore
But it’s worth all the grief when they finally score
There’s no greater sight than when Dobbie is in the zone
His vision and goals are worth the entrance fee alone.

11 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

Brilliant

Almost Shakespearean [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

21 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

8 hours ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

Almost Shakespearean emoji122.pngemoji122.pngemoji122.png

I can just imagine it being read in a Pam Ayres type voice. 

While we’re doing poetry, I’ll take the liberty of throwing in my favourite Queens-related one, which just happens to be written by my dad (with my uncle (his brother) in mind, who was a dedicated Queens fan and more responsible than anyone for getting me hooked, but passed away about a year before our day in the sun).

Absent Friens
(Fur A’ Queens Fans Depairted)

Nae langer wi’ us
Ye cuidnae see
Whit the team wis daein;
Nae tear wis in yir ee,

Nae smile on yir face
Under the clay,
Ye cuidnae savour
The impossibility

O’ the langest-ever goal,
The defeat o’ the Dons – 
Whae cuid’ve imagined
Gemmes like yon?

Maybe frae a clood
Ye’ve been luikin doon,
Seen the goals gaan in,
Shared the hopes o the toon –

Delirium, delight,
The place in a haze
O’ emotion unkent
In yir livin’ days.

Ah’d like tae believe it;
It disnae seem fair
That the team did well
And ye wernae there.

7 minutes ago, Swarley said:

See Allan Johnston and Sandy Clark have left Dunfermline.

Yep and in other news the Titanic has sunk. I know you're in Australia but do keep up. ^_^

Edited by Hawk

Rumours of a couple of English League 1 sides intrested in Lyndon. Already been a team in contact with us about him and apparently GN had a meeting with Lyndon and his agent about it. 

Not saying this is 100% accurate but it was the talk at work today. 

Rumours of a couple of English League 1 sides intrested in Lyndon. Already been a team in contact with us about him and apparently GN had a meeting with Lyndon and his agent about it. 
Not saying this is 100% accurate but it was the talk at work today. 
Can I come work with you? My bit is full of The Rangers fans and the only 2 people who claim to support Queens never bother going to games. But you can bet your life if we ever made it to a cup final again they'd be the biggest fans going!