The Queen of the South thread

47 minutes ago, the tactician said:

so if he went this window who would replace him? 

Hoping the manager can call on his friends at bigger clubs who could loan us a striker that would suite both clubs like Sheff Utd did with Semple. 

Am I understanding this properly? We have a tiny squad with 2 established strikers in it. We have needed an additional striker as back up since the season started. And we are supposed to be quite happy about losing one of the two we currently have? Does that not mean we would need to sign 2 strikers this window, one of whom needs to be the same level as an established Championship player? Why is this good news?

We have already lost a first choice midfield player, as well as a back up midfielder who hasn’t been replaced. And all season we have been hearing that our first choice team is as good as any and capable of a top 4 finish, although the squad itself is quite light. Now it seems it is fine for us to lose anybody from the first choice team because they weren’t that great inthe first place.

3 minutes ago, Brother Grimm said:

Scoring 4 goals doesn't really give the impression of someone who is a proven goalscorer, is Todd a proven goalscorer?

He has done well considering he has played mostly midfield and not played as many games as some, most of the others on four are forwards. 

My point is I would like to see another striker scoring goals for the club, ex Lyle the last few years & Kane last season and before that Reilly. We currently have Dobbie and our other striker has 1 goal. All av been trying to say is we need a player/players that can take pressure off Dobbie & score goals and win matches if we have any top 4 ambitions.

2 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

My point is I would like to see another striker scoring goals for the club, ex Lyle the last few years & Kane last season and before that Reilly. We currently have Dobbie and our other striker has 1 goal. All av been trying to say is we need a player/players that can take pressure off Dobbie & score goals and win matches if we have any top 4 ambitions.

Yep I`m pretty sure we would all like to see another striker come in and absolutely one who would contribute goals. That said if Dykes leaves we really need 2 strikers or we`re still hoping against hope that players don`t get injured.

Dykes would be a huge loss to Queens. Give it a rest

30 minutes ago, Flash said:

Am I understanding this properly? We have a tiny squad with 2 established strikers in it. We have needed an additional striker as back up since the season started. And we are supposed to be quite happy about losing one of the two we currently have? Does that not mean we would need to sign 2 strikers this window, one of whom needs to be the same level as an established Championship player? Why is this good news?

We have already lost a first choice midfield player, as well as a back up midfielder who hasn’t been replaced. And all season we have been hearing that our first choice team is as good as any and capable of a top 4 finish, although the squad itself is quite light. Now it seems it is fine for us to lose anybody from the first choice team because they weren’t that great inthe first place.

Only one complete slether thinks this thankfully.  I don't think we are going to get all the signings we want to see unfortunately but I see it as the following - 

Semple replaced by Maguire

Norman replaced by Low

Harkins still to be replaced

Frizzell replaced by a striker.

Inverness are the only team in the league that have 2 centre forward with 4 or more goals each to their name.

Queens and Ross County are the only 2 teams that have 2 players with 5 or more goals.

Dykes would be a huge loss. Yes, his finishing is atrocious, but his all round play would be hugely difficult to replace.

12 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Only one complete slether thinks this thankfully.  I don't think we are going to get all the signings we want to see unfortunately but I see it as the following - 

Semple replaced by Maguire

Norman replaced by Low

Harkins still to be replaced

Frizzell replaced by a striker.

We took Frizzell on loan when we clearly needed a striker. No doubt his "adaptability" was the big attraction but in reality he doesn`t offer anything that isn`t supplied by Todd, Stirling and Murray. The money for him  could and should have been much better spent.  Unless i`ve missed something (quite possible :lol:) then no guarantee that a striker will come in to replace him. I agree with you that replacing him with a striker is absolutely the way to go but who knows what we`ll do. As others have said if Dykes goes we really need 2 strikers in.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

i like the notion that if we get rid of the only forward/midfielder over 6 foot that does the majority of the running and the majority of the creative play we’d be a better team. Makes sense to me IMO

4 hours ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

It seems it would have made complete sense to offer Lyle a  contract on reduced terms if necessary.

He would appear to have all the attributes  that we are looking for at the present time.

John Rankin is tearing it up in league 2 would you like him back as well?

12 minutes ago, Sloop John B said:

i like the notion that if we get rid of the only forward/midfielder over 6 foot that does the majority of the running and the majority of the creative play we’d be a better team. Makes sense to me IMO

John Rankin is tearing it up in league 2 would you like him back as well?

Dykes provides the majority of the creative play !!!

Seriously?

I have heard he is the best keeper in the squad, the best defender and not to mention makes the best cup of tea at half time.

He is a worker who is a great foil for Dobbie. For that reason and no other would he be missed.

4 hours ago, SueSue said:

Dykes provides the majority of the creative play !!!

Seriously?

I have heard he is the best keeper in the squad, the best defender and not to mention makes the best cup of tea at half time.

He is a worker who is a great foil for Dobbie. For that reason and no other would he be missed.

Few questions:

What football match are you part of where you are able to have a cup of tea in less than 15 mins and then play the second half without any issues?

Are you arguing that we could replace Dykes with Graham’s Weir or Stuart Kean type player and we’d be fine?

Do you think that the opposition now trying to close Dykes down more is part of a big plot to put his confidence up. Just because his finishing is not good doesn’t mean he is a scrub. And to underplay his actual footballing abilities to suit your long held view is so blinkered.

Even using your own argument, to be In a position be called ‘a worker’ he has to do the running of 1 and a half players, win every header, lead most breaks and press the opposition for usually the full match.  Do you realise even that is something that is incredibly demanding to do physically and what is being asked of him is a lot more than a lot of the strikers in this league. 

1 hour ago, Sloop John B said:

Few questions:

What football match are you part of where you are able to have a cup of tea in less than 15 mins and then play the second half without any issues?

Are you arguing that we could replace Dykes with Graham’s Weir or Stuart Kean type player and we’d be fine?

Do you think that the opposition now trying to close Dykes down more is part of a big plot to put his confidence up. Just because his finishing is not good doesn’t mean he is a scrub. And to underplay his actual footballing abilities to suit your long held view is so blinkered.

Even using your own argument, to be In a position be called ‘a worker’ he has to do the running of 1 and a half players, win every header, lead most breaks and press the opposition for usually the full match.  Do you realise even that is something that is incredibly demanding to do physically and what is being asked of him is a lot more than a lot of the strikers in this league. 

Running of 1 and half players! How come?