The Queen of the South thread

59 minutes ago, steakpiegravy said:

lol Happy New Year everyone! FWIW I don’t think Dykes has much faith in Dykes shooting ability either. Whenever he gets into a clear shooting position he always seems to hesitate and look to lay it off. I think that’s a selfconfidence thing (yeah I know it’s Dykes were talking about).

On a separate point does anyone know how you find out who is already in the Hall of fame now the vote is starting? I like Andy Aitken but wouldn’t vote for him over Jim Thomson so unless JT is already in I’m not voting for a defender.

Hall of Fame link provided by SD earlier. JT already in.

http://www.qosfc.com/news-2994

Eta full list at bottom of the article. And Happy New Year to you and all Queens fans.

Edited by Flash

21 minutes ago, QoS_1919 said:

How many accounts has Victoria made now? 

My first though was that it was either Lyndon or her.

“Barry” constantly referring to him as a boy is odd, given he is 23, a father and is all the man he will ever be. That right Baz. ;)

That aside , there is no doubt he is an important player for us.  Adding goals to his game would certainly benefit him and the team.

I am not suggesting Dobbie levels of goal here but 9 or ten over the course of the season isn’t unrealistic and might be worth the same amount of points to us too. 

I've got a new moan with which to get the New Year underway.

The sign on Lochfield Road hasn't been updated since the Ayr game, but Hell, it's the holiday season and people deserve a holiday - as I've always maintained, it's no big deal.

Nearby however, is something that's more of a concern.  That big triangular, Scotland Yard type sign that used to be for Tesco, but has had Queens badges on it since the Arena opened, came down ages ago in high winds.  I think the supporting pillar had more or less rusted through.

I wouldn't think replacing it would make much economic sense, but is it too much to ask that it be taken away?

Right now, it still lies there looking pretty awful and creating far too obvious a bloody metaphor for a club that sometimes feels a bit damaged, or even broken these days.

Right - glad that's off my chest now.  As you were...

Edited by Monkey Tennis

I'm struggling to think of a player who has turned the supporters views of him from very unfavourable to the very favourable as much as Lyndon Dykes has.  Yes he still does things that upset you, like maybe not looking so committed going  into  50/50 challenges,  but his overall game and contribution to the team has improved immensely. As I and others have said though,  playing in advanced position whether as out and out striker or just a bit deeper,  he should be chipping in with a few goals. 

4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I've got a new moan with which to get the New Year underway.

The sign on Lochfield Road hasn't been updated since the Ayr game, but Hell, it's the holiday season and people deserve a holiday - as I've always maintained, it's no big deal.

Nearby however, is something that's more of a concern.  That big triangular, Scotland Yard type sign that used to be for Tesco, but has had Queens badges on it since the Arena opened, came down ages ago in high winds.  I think the supporting pillar had more or less rusted through.

I wouldn't think replacing it would make much economic sense, but is it too much to ask that it be taken away?

Right now, it still lies there looking prettyy awful and creating far too obvious a bloody metaphor for a club that sometimes feels a bit damaged these days.

Right - glad that's off my chest now.  As you were...

I noticed that sign had fallen over and am frankly quite surprised it's taken you so long to have a moan about it. 

1 minute ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I noticed that sign had fallen over and am frankly quite surprised it's taken you so long to have a moan about it. 

You know me.  I don't like to focus on the negatives. 

Would you not agree that it's poor though?

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Does bringing him in offer any hints about the likelihood of Semple staying here?

That was my first thought. Naysmith did say in his interview he had a small talk with Sheffield Utd and he was going to speak with Semple next week. 

5 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

You know me.  I don't like to focus on the negatives. 

Would you not agree that it's poor though?

In the grand scheme of things it's probably of low importance but the fact it would not be a major engineering feat to repair it,  I agree something should be done.  It advertises the Arena and with other businesses in there also I'm sure it could advertise them also. (if it doesn't already do so) 

12 minutes ago, QoS_1919 said:

That was my first thought. Naysmith did say in his interview he had a small talk with Sheffield Utd and he was going to speak with Semple next week. 

I think you can safely say Semple will be going back to Sheffield United. A 20 year old from Sheffield will be on a higher salary plus accommodation costs and expenses than a 20 year old local lad from Motherwell.

Given we're short on players I shouldn't find this signing underwhelming but I really do. I assume this means two things though: Brownlie is out for longer than expected and Semple is away. If either of those two things aren't correct then it's a really bizarre (and IMO needless) signing as it would mean we'd have 4/5 CBs.

Time will tell of course but I'm hoping we can manage to get in a couple of players in areas they're desperately required.

Perhaps this is to sweeten the deal of Dykes going the other way ;)

21 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

In the grand scheme of things it's probably of low importance but the fact it would not be a major engineering feat to repair it,  I agree something should be done.  It advertises the Arena and with other businesses in there also I'm sure it could advertise them also. (if it doesn't already do so) 

It is of relatively low importance, but it's annoying and points to a lack of pride in the premises.

The sign in question didn't mention other businesses - there's a different sign that does that.  All it had on it was Queens stuff.  The sign was probably not necessary and wouldn't have gone up in the first place if it wasn't a Tesco remnant.  I don't think it's begging to be repaired tbh, but carting the thing away really shouldn't be too much to expect.

47 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I wouldn't think replacing it would make much economic sense, but is it too much to ask that it be taken away

Does Billy know anyone who deals in scrap  ? .

Mind though it's no cash anymore  .

Given we're short on players I shouldn't find this signing underwhelming but I really do. I assume this means two things though: Brownlie is out for longer than expected and Semple is away. If either of those two things aren't correct then it's a really bizarre (and IMO needless) signing as it would mean we'd have 4/5 CBs.

Time will tell of course but I'm hoping we can manage to get in a couple of players in areas they're desperately required.

Perhaps this is to sweeten the deal of Dykes going the other way [emoji6]

That came into my thinking as well. We’ll badly need attacking options if so. Quite happy we’ve moved quickly, but think it does kiss goodbye to our chances of semple staying.