The Queen of the South thread

The absolute rubbish the Queens fans write about Lyndon is ridiculous! Everyone  fails to notice that he has hardly played up front all season, apart from the games Dobbie has been injured. Every week it’s one up front! Although the end of  last season when he played up front he scored every game. So  why does the rest of the midfield not get the same critiscm he does?? He is 2nd in the league for assist, which is good for someone who doesn’t take corners or free kicks. Seems the boy cant catch a break whatever he does. Comes plays for Queens for £10 a week, get slagged of off continuously, gets played out of postition every single week. Don’t know why he bothers turning up. Be better for they boy when Queens decide they can afford to let him go. 

8 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I did notice on the highlights that he didn't celebrate the goal but I never wanted to say anything because some people get touchy if you say anything remotely negative about him.

2 minutes ago, BarryMcgeorge said:

The absolute rubbish the Queens fans write about Lyndon is ridiculous! Everyone  fails to notice that he has hardly played up front all season, apart from the games Dobbie has been injured. Every week it’s one up front! Although the end of  last season when he played up front he scored every game. So  why does the rest of the midfield not get the same critiscm he does?? He is 2nd in the league for assist, which is good for someone who doesn’t take corners or free kicks. Seems the boy cant catch a break whatever he does. Comes plays for Queens for £10 a week, get slagged of off continuously, gets played out of postition every single week. Don’t know why he bothers turning up. Be better for they boy when Queens decide they can afford to let him go. 

:lol:

2 minutes ago, BarryMcgeorge said:

The only person who criticised him there was me, for his finishing , which I think is completely fair.

6 minutes ago, BarryMcgeorge said:

Hiya Lyndon. In hope you have a happy new year.

Stick the ball in the net a wee bit more and everyone is happy. 

1 minute ago, Dumfries Boy(new acc) said:

The only person who criticised him there was me, for his finishing , which I think is completely fair.

Fair enough. But your criticism was applying that he is played as a striker when he is not. And when he has been he has scored. Maybe just maybe a 23 year old who is constantly abused by his own fans has had his confidence knocked. 

My reply was to the constant critiscm of the boy. Some things shouted on Saturday was unbelievable. 

1 hour ago, BarryMcgeorge said:

Fair enough. But your criticism was applying that he is played as a striker when he is not. And when he has been he has scored. Maybe just maybe a 23 year old who is constantly abused by his own fans has had his confidence knocked. 

My reply was to the constant critiscm of the boy. Some things shouted on Saturday was unbelievable. 

The last two  games he has been in the position of a striker with a clear chance at goal. He blasted one wide and passed the other into the keepers arms.

12 minutes ago, Mr X said:

The last two  games he has been in the position of a striker with a clear chance at goal. He blasted one wide and passed the other into the keepers arms.

The last game he didn’t play as a striker though. And your judging him as a striker. When he hasn’t played as a striker 90% of his games at Queens. And one  chance a game! Are you being serious!!! Certainly other players taking lots of shots and getting no where near the target, Did you see the service the Ayr forwards were getting. The team is so defensive it’s unbelievable. With Lyndon usually set up to mark whoever the other teams threat is in midfield.  He is literally running back and forth the whole game defending, setting up. You will not find another striker in the league who does that kind of work. And then it’s long balls all game, so expecting him to win the flicks and score at the same time. Our midfield is marking the other teams strikers.  It’s ridiculous. Our main threat is our attack and the manager nullifies it himself. 

1 minute ago, BarryMcgeorge said:

The last game he didn’t play as a striker though. And your judging him as a striker. When he hasn’t played as a striker 90% of his games at Queens. And one  chance a game! Are you being serious!!! Certainly other players taking lots of shots and getting no where near the target, Did you see the service the Ayr forwards were getting. The team is so defensive it’s unbelievable. With Lyndon usually set up to mark whoever the other teams threat is in midfield.  He is literally running back and forth the whole game defending, setting up. You will not find another striker in the league who does that kind of work. And then it’s long balls all game, so expecting him to win the flicks and score at the same time. Our midfield is marking the other teams strikers.  It’s ridiculous. Our main threat is our attack and the manager nullifies it himself. 

I thought the point was pretty obvious. Even though he hasnt been played as an out and out striker he has had two very good chances in the last two games. Against Alloa he was one on one with the keeper and blasted wide. On Saturday, Dobbie played him through and he shot tamely straight at the keeper from about 12 yards.

Irrespective of whether he is playing as a striker or not, he got into "striker" positions but didnt score. 

9 minutes ago, BarryMcgeorge said:

I think Semple and Fordyce will be pretty pissed off if you are saying Jacobs and Doyle were marking Shankland.

Semple has stuffed it up Shankland for three games now. Not any of our midfield.

I like Dykes. He is not an out and out striker but his finishing is shocking. Sorry if you don’t agree, and you are entitled to your view.

He works his socks off without a shadow of a doubt but you can’t defend the guys finishing. 

28 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I thought the point was pretty obvious. Even though he hasnt been played as an out and out striker he has had two very good chances in the last two games. Against Alloa he was one on one with the keeper and blasted wide. On Saturday, Dobbie played him through and he shot tamely straight at the keeper from about 12 yards.

Irrespective of whether he is playing as a striker or not, he got into "striker" positions but didnt score. 

I thought my point was pretty clear. He had one chance on Saturday. One. Most games he has one chance, that’s literally it. Now even Dobbie will score maybe 1 in 5 chances. Now take into factor he is doing one hell of a shift, is only 23 and learning, isn’t getting played in striker position to gain any confidence and is most likely worrying about defending because they all look like they are nervous wreck defending cause they are inviting pressure. On top of getting loads of abuse from his own fans. I think he does a good job for us. 

Now the the original point was the fact that for a striker it is very poor to have only scored 6 times in 27 games. But for some playing in midfield who has scored 6/27 and 12 assist out of 27 I don’t think it merits the amount of criticism the lad takes 

Edited by BarryMcgeorge

2 minutes ago, SueSue said:

I think Semple and Fordyce will be pretty pissed off if you are saying Jacobs and Doyle were marking Shankland.

Semple has stuffed it up Shankland for three games now. Not any of our midfield.

I like Dykes. He is not an out and out striker but his finishing is shocking. Sorry if you don’t agree, and you are entitled to your view.

He works his socks off without a shadow of a doubt but you can’t defend the guys finishing. 

No sorry I will defend his finishing he has scored 6/27 games and has 12 assist nearly all from midfield apart from the last 3 games Dobbie has been out. And his goals are hardly rubbish goals. 

Most fans on here actually can’t even see he isn’t playing up front. And every week even the official site has the wrong formation. 

12 minutes ago, BarryMcgeorge said:

I thought my point was pretty clear. He had one chance on Saturday. One. Most games he has one chance, that’s literally it. Now even Dobbie will score maybe 1 in 5 chances. Now take into factor he is doing one hell of a shit, is only 23 and learning, isn’t getting played in striker position to gain any confidence and is most likely worrying about defending because they all look like they are nervous wreck defending cause they are inviting pressure. On top of getting loads of abuse from his own fans. I think he does a good job for us. 

Now the the original point was the fact that for a striker it is very poor to have only scored 6 times in 27 games. But for some playing in midfield who has scored 6/27 and 12 assist out of 27 I don’t think it merits the amount of criticism the lad takes 

Been in a while? ;)

1 minute ago, BarryMcgeorge said:

I thought my point was pretty clear. He had one chance on Saturday. One. Most games he has one chance, that’s literally it. Now even Dobbie will score maybe 1 in 5 chances. Now take into factor he is doing one hell of a shit, is only 23 and learning, isn’t getting played in striker position to gain any confidence and is most likely worrying about defending because they all look like they are nervous wreck defending cause they are inviting pressure. On top of getting loads of abuse from his own fans. I think he does a good job for us. 

Its not about the number of chances its about the quality and the fact that not only did he not score he didnt even make the keeper work.

Dobbie also missed a great chance on Saturday and should also be criticised for it. However, its out of character for him and he was, at best, 50% fit. Dykes finishing has been consistently poor throughout his career and while other areas of his game have massively improved this season, his finishing definitely hasnt.

45 minutes ago, BarryMcgeorge said:

No sorry I will defend his finishing he has scored 6/27 games and has 12 assist nearly all from midfield apart from the last 3 games Dobbie has been out. And his goals are hardly rubbish goals. 

Most fans on here actually can’t even see he isn’t playing up front. And every week even the official site has the wrong formation. 

Personally, I would probably have it as a 4-2-3-1 but I can see why others would describe it as 4-4-2. Theres no doubt Dykes is asked to drop deep when we dont have the ball and theres no doubt that has an impact on his effectiveness when we are attacking but when we have the ball hes expected to push up front. Its not like he's sitting deep collecting the ball and dictating play. In fact, if you look at Shankland in the last two games against us he, arguably, spends far more time deeper showing for the ball.

To describe him as playing in midfield is wrong.

Its also not a new thing for Naysmith, Kane was asked to do the same last season, for example.

18 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Personally, I would probably have it as a 4-2-3-1 but I can see why others would describe it as 4-4-2. Theres no doubt Dykes is asked to drop deep when we dont have the ball and theres no doubt that has an impact on his effectiveness when we are attacking but when we have the ball hes expected to push up front. Its not like he's sitting deep collecting the ball and dictating play. In fact, if you look at Shankland in the last two games against us he, arguably, spends far more time deeper showing for the ball.

To describe him as playing in midfield is wrong.

Its also not a new thing for Naysmith, Kane was asked to do the same last season, for example.

It doesn’t really matter how anyone describes it it is what it is. He isn’t playing up top. Yes his finishing needs work but does that really warrant the crap the boy gets. Anyway, looks like it will be someone else’s problem soon. 

Kane was in no way used in the same way as Lyndon is now though. 

Where to begin. First off, you're making out Dykes is being battered here. He has his critics but for me his all round game has dramatically improved this season. He's put in some excellent performances on several occasions and received deserved plaudits. The weakest part of his game and the the discussion taking place is in regards to his finishing. Dress it up how you like but for an attacking player his finishing is below mediocre. Moffat and Shankland received a lot of the ball on Saturday but they never received it in dangerous positions. Dykes's chance on Saturday was a better opportunity than anything Shankland received all game. It was a terrible attempt so I'm not sure why you're defending it.

Whether you agree or not, Dykes has played lots of games up front this season. He does track back but that doesn't mean he isn't able to get forward. 1 goal in the league isn't great. Even if he's been played in midfield like you claim, Murray, Stirling, Doyle and Marshall all have a league goal to their name. Are you seriously suggesting those guys have the same amount of chances as Dykes?

Todd HAS played the majority of games in midfield and yet he's managed to bag 6 goals from there, 5 in the league and having played 4 less games than Dykes. One on one I'd pick Todd over Dykes every time.

I'm not sure his age has anything to do with it either. 23 is hardly a rookie at any level of football and he's has plenty of game time as well. Over 100 appearances isn't it?

FWIW, I like the guy in our side and the post isn't supposed to be a go at him. But to come on and defend his finishing when the facts don't come close to backing you up is a bit mad.

6 minutes ago, BarryMcgeorge said:

It doesn’t really matter how anyone describes it it is what it is. He isn’t playing up top. Yes his finishing needs work but does that really warrant the crap the boy gets. Anyway, looks like it will be someone else’s problem soon. 

Kane was in no way used in the same way as Lyndon is now though. 

Except he is playing up top when we have the ball. He definitely isnt playing in midfield.

One forward almost always drops deep under Naysmith when the opposition has the ball. Kane wasnt as effective as Dykes at it but he certainly did do it, particularly away to Livingston.

I've never claimed Dykes deserves the criticism he gets but equally he isnt immune to it and the role hes asked to play off the ball shouldnt excuse his failings as a goal scorer.