The Queen of the South thread

I suspect that Falkirk will be his destination.Owing to the complete mess that they find themselves in no doubt they will be “tapping” players that they think can help keep them in the division by offering players like Harkins substantially more money than they are on at present. Harkins then announces that he is unhappy at the club and we basically can’t win ..............if we keep an unhappy player we could be squandering a decent wage or we let him go to a competitor and weaken ourselves and strengthen a competitor. Not a great landscape either way.

I strongly suspect that you will see Falkirk wielding a Xmas Window shopping list and proceed to tap up a few established Championship players and unsettle them by offering more money. I assume that they did the same thing with Messrs Baird and Kerr. On that occasion we comfortably pipped them for fourth place which was a very enjoyable outcome given the circumstances.

I don’t think Harkins has scaled the heights with us but I would certainly rather have him than not. We desperately need a couple of decent central midfielders who can create and control the pace of a game but easier said than done.

I liked Harkins and will miss him. Along with Dobbie, he was the only player we had with anything approaching genuine footballing ability. When Dobbie and Harkins both clicked, we looked brilliant at times. At his best, I enjoyed the way he strolled around imperiously, like an ageing midfield general, chomping on a cigar while contemptuously dismissing his youthful inferiors. Though it must be conceded, he was Claude Rains (the Invisible Man) rather more often than he was Andrea Pirlo. 

Still, give me a temperamental, inconsistent midfield maestro anyday over the talentless drones we saw clogging up the midfield (and most of the rest of the team to be fair) at Alloa. Willing workhorses, with a few callow kids on a partially-filled bench, will only get you so far, and what a dispiritingly dull journey it will be.

Anyway, grossly unprofessional to part company with football still to be played before the window opens, especially given our paucity of options ATM. 

38 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I suspect that Falkirk will be his destination.Owing to the complete mess that they find themselves in no doubt they will be “tapping” players that they think can help keep them in the division by offering players like Harkins substantially more money than they are on at present. Harkins then announces that he is unhappy at the club and we basically can’t win ..............if we keep an unhappy player we could be squandering a decent wage or we let him go to a competitor and weaken ourselves and strengthen a competitor. Not a great landscape either way.

I strongly suspect that you will see Falkirk wielding a Xmas Window shopping list and proceed to tap up a few established Championship players and unsettle them by offering more money. I assume that they did the same thing with Messrs Baird and Kerr. On that occasion we comfortably pipped them for fourth place which was a very enjoyable outcome given the circumstances.

I don’t think Harkins has scaled the heights with us but I would certainly rather have him than not. We desperately need a couple of decent central midfielders who can create and control the pace of a game but easier said than done.

You suspect wrong and have wasted a lot of words on being wrong. 

38 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

And we pumped you out the cup in your shit tip of a stadium en route to the final.

3 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

I can't say I'm shedding tears over this one, his signing was always a bit of a gamble and if the rumours of a fallout are true then we are well rid.  I think his signing was largely met with "if we get the Ayr version then no thanks, but if we get last season's Morton version he could be a great signing".  I think a fair summary of his time was that he started out like the Morton version but latterly drifted into the disinterested Ayr version.

We certainly need to sign a couple of central midfielders as a priority now, but with Norman and Harkins off the wage bill I'm sure we will be able to.  Getting two of a similar calibre will be difficult however.

Don't think Norman was on the wage  bill sure his parent club were very good to him & Queens. 

And we pumped you out the cup in your shit tip of a stadium en route to the final.
Steady. You would have palmy over legoland any day of the week im sure. We are in dire need of midfielders and a striker. Genuinely worried for the second half of the season now.

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

True.

Admit it though.  You'd kill to have our shit tip, as opposed to where you play these days.

1 minute ago, QosLoyal said:
20 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Steady. You would have palmy over legoland any day of the week im sure. We are in dire need of midfielders and a striker. Genuinely worried for the second half of the season now.

Genuinely wouldn't. Somewhere like Somerset maybe, but 100% no to the crumbling wind tunnel.

1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

Genuinely wouldn't. Somewhere like Somerset maybe, but 100% no to the crumbling wind tunnel.

It's no more crumbling than Somerset - another fine ground.

It's genuinely not particularly windy at all.   It's not high or especially exposed, or near the sea.

It just so happens to have been windy for a couple of Falkirk visits, not least the one you mentioned, where the conditions acted as a real leveller, allowing the weaker side to progress.  

Liked Harkins and added a lot  of creativity to the team that it desperately needed. However he struggled to play the full 90 mins and never looked that fit. This together with his injuries (sounds like some sort of chronic back problem) , then probably not the worst thing to happen. I do however think the 2nd half of the season may see us in a relegation battle (regardless of Harkins leaving us) if we dont manage to get some decent signings which is probably looking doubtful now due to our current home crowds.

I'll be happy if we manage to avoid the bottom 2 places this season. Not looking good now.

Lets see what the January window brings before making ridiculous knee-jerk statements like that.

If we were to see out the season with the squad as it is then tenth place would be a real possibility. But we’re not going to so lets maintain a bit of calm.

Like Kerr and Baird before him, Harkins has just shown he true meaning of the words loyalty and team spirit. Okay football is their job,  but loyalty goes both ways. Had Harkins been injured (actually he was quite often)  he'd have been quite happy to sit and collect his wages, which of course he's entitled to.  Then we look at Stephen Dobbie. No way would he engineer a move away for more money. The guy has class. So please let us not mention Harkins in the same post as Sir Stephen.