The Queen of the South thread

38 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Add him to the list along with Kerr, Baird, Thomson, Fergusson and Skelton. I expect I've missed a few as well. Have we just to accept those mentioned were all bad eggs or is there a pattern emerging in regards to where the problem lies?

Awful news. Our creativity has been almost halved.

Who needs creativity and goals when GN thinks that having 10/11 efforts on goal but getting beat is good work from the players. Bearing in mind that the team who beat us had only won 2 league games out of 17 beforehand. 

Also, too many players have left because apparently they were "bad eggs." Theres either something going on or we just have extremely bad luck with signing tossers.

I’d guess it’s most likely a falling out but it would take a fool to see Harkins play style, list of clubs and think that at a team with minimal depth could depend on an aging maverick no matter how good he is.  He did seem very much like the antithesis  of just about every other player Naysmith has brought in.  So we’ll see whether actual depth he brings in  to replace but I’m resigned to Harkins going to Falkirk and keeping them up.

I can't say I'm shedding tears over this one, his signing was always a bit of a gamble and if the rumours of a fallout are true then we are well rid.  I think his signing was largely met with "if we get the Ayr version then no thanks, but if we get last season's Morton version he could be a great signing".  I think a fair summary of his time was that he started out like the Morton version but latterly drifted into the disinterested Ayr version.

We certainly need to sign a couple of central midfielders as a priority now, but with Norman and Harkins off the wage bill I'm sure we will be able to.  Getting two of a similar calibre will be difficult however.

Not unhappy to see the back of him. I've seen him play for a number of teams over the years and, to me, he comes over as a lazy player. Fine when things are going his way but he won't bust a gut for you or, like some players,  play through injury for the jersey. 

I'm shedding plenty tears.

One thing we do have is players who try their best, but aren't especially talented for this level.  I'll be pleasantly surprised if anyone we introduce in January is different from that.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:
1 hour ago, SueSue said:
IMO it is not the end of the world.
Harkins has been in and out the side over the last couple of months and in fairness has not set the team on fire.
W e can now seriously strengthen with a couple of good loan signings using his undoubted high salary. I really see this as a positive.
We can get numbers in and the squad will be stronger.

I'd take quality over quantity every day of the week. He wasn't always great but similarly to Dobbie, even when he's quiet he can make something happen out of nothing.

I know what you are saying but when did he make something happen for us.

Ayr at home. Apart from that he has been average.

A good midfield and forward loan signing serves us far better than a sulking Harkins.

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Add him to the list along with Kerr, Baird, Thomson, Fergusson and Skelton. I expect I've missed a few as well. Have we just to accept those mentioned were all bad eggs or is there a pattern emerging in regards to where the problem lies?

Awful news. Our creativity has been almost halved.

I take your point and agree on the "awful news" front.

I think your bracketing together of certain figures is pushing it though.

The departure of Skelton was in very different circumstances to those of Kerr and Baird for instance.

Not unhappy to see the back of him. I've seen him play for a number of teams over the years and, to me, he comes over as a lazy player. Fine when things are going his way but he won't bust a gut for you or, like some players,  play through injury for the jersey. 
Even when he was playing really well he appeared lazy: it's the way he plays. Dobbie could be considered a lazy player as well.
A good midfield and forward loan signing serves us far better than a sulking Harkins.

If we manage to get those kind of players in then it will be a small blessing for sure. As it stands we've lost a quality player which is bad in itself, but to lose any player when we're struggling to fill a bench is pretty disappointing.

He didn't always make things happen but even when he was having a poorer game he had the composure to keep the ball and look for a pass, rather than belt it forward. We'll miss that side of his game as well.

40 minutes ago, SueSue said:

Tend to agree with this. I was never a Harkins fan but was impressed that Naysmith managed to find a formation to accommodate him that didn't look unbalanced. He never really had enough outstanding moments for me to lament his loss.

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
2 hours ago, SueSue said:
IMO it is not the end of the world.
Harkins has been in and out the side over the last couple of months and in fairness has not set the team on fire.
W e can now seriously strengthen with a couple of good loan signings using his undoubted high salary. I really see this as a positive.
We can get numbers in and the squad will be stronger.

I'd take quality over quantity every day of the week. He wasn't always great but similarly to Dobbie, even when he's quiet he can make something happen out of nothing.

Or going by his last game for us,  making nothing out of something.  How many times did he lose the ball when caught in possession in that game. Quality over quantity is ok if the quality players can steer clear of injury. 

2 hours ago, steakpiegravy said:

That’s bad news for Jordan Marshall then lol

Not sure what this means,  Jordan Marshall has been a steady performer this season. 

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

Time to move on Harkins will no doubt sign for someone in the Championship the first day the transfer window opens had some good touches but never really done enough, would prefer a younger fitter playmaker in the middle, Naysmith tried to shoehorn him into the side and sometimes it made the team unbalanced. Nobody is bigger than the manger or club. Time to move on BIG transfer window coming up that may well tell what direction the club is wanting to go in..... Fingers crossed its the right way....