The Queen of the South thread

Watched most of Ayr’s latest win at Tannadice. Not difficult to see how they are top of the league.

Team set out with one intention to dominate proceedings and win the 3 points. Two up top, midfielders getting forward at every opportunity. United created virtually nothing and resorted to aimless punts forward.

Contrast Ayr’s performance tonight with our attempt to make our latest visit to Dundee a borefest with a 0-0 the full extent of our ambition.

Hope GN was watching that tonight because if he was the “penny might eventually drop”.

14 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Watched most of Ayr’s latest win at Tannadice. Not difficult to see how they are top of the league.

Team set out with one intention to dominate proceedings and win the 3 points. Two up top, midfielders getting forward at every opportunity. United created virtually nothing and resorted to aimless punts forward.

Contrast Ayr’s performance tonight with our attempt to make our latest visit to Dundee a borefest with a 0-0 the full extent of our ambition.

Hope GN was watching that tonight because if he was the “penny might eventually drop”.

Nail on the head rjc   .

17 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Ayr were outstanding tonight. Superb attitude and hugely deserved 3 points.

13 minutes ago, dumfriesblue said:

take a decent amount to entice shankland away from ayr united . well done iain mccoll  your team are a joy to watch

On that showing Ayr will win the league as long as they hold onto Shankland  which will be difficult in Jan  surely they will get many offers for him.

Edited by Northfield 53

Watched the full game tonight. Can’t believe this is the same Ayr United that Queens totally humiliated a few months ago at Palmerston. Dundee United were on a great run after getting rid of Laszlo and bringing in a decent, proven Championship winning manager in!

Got to take my hat off to Ayr United tonight, fantastic team performance [emoji122][emoji122] What a funny old Championship this is going to be this season 🤨

3 minutes ago, Swarley said:

Tremendous win and performance by Ayr but I'll just say what everyone is thinking

Ayr, Ayr f^ck you Ayr

Ayr, Ayr f^ck you Ayr

Ayr, Ayr f^ck you Ayr

F^ck you Ayr United

:P

:lol:

I`m actually thinking get it right up the "big team" but I guess your point stands. 

Great to see a side playing to their strenghts and going for it in a game when in all honesty most folk would have seen a draw as a good result for Ayr.

We’ve scored the same number of goals as Dundee United who are 3rd. Two less than Ross County in 2nd and 6 less than table topping Ayr who have played a game more.

Our team certainly has its issues but scoring goals and “having a go” isn’t one of them. This season has seen us produce some of the best attacking football in years. It’s the other end of the park that is the problem.

Using the result in a game not involving our team and before we’ve even played to have a go at the manager is laughable.

Felt Ayr would score each time they went forward. Shankland on fire and now more league goals than Dobbie. Will he still be there at end of January?

Would take Dobs over Shankland any time. Can see Shankland going down south (supposedly Swansea want him) but wouldn’t be surprised if he got loaned back to Ayr for the rest of the season.

Nonetheless, if you want to stop him scoring just play Callum Semple at centre-half, boy has kept him quiet for 180 minutes.

10 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

We’ve scored the same number of goals as Dundee United who are 3rd. Two less than Ross County in 2nd and 6 less than table topping Ayr who have played a game more.

Our team certainly has its issues but scoring goals and “having a go” isn’t one of them. This season has seen us produce some of the best attacking football in years. It’s the other end of the park that is the problem.

Using the result in a game not involving our team and before we’ve even played to have a go at the manager is laughable.

All very fair points.  We are a real threat going forward. 

That said we do have a real tendency to sit deep in games when ahead. Our manager confirmed that himself in a recent interview IIRC.  His inference is that he doesn`t want us to sit deep but we often do nonetheless. 

As an aside, to me,  the big difference between us and Ayr on last night`s showing was how comfortably the defence and perhaps crucially the goalkeeper coped with crosses into the box. I didn`t see the whole match, though I did see the majority of it, so this might be a skewed view.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

18 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

That said we do have a real tendency to sit deep in games when ahead. Our manager confirmed that himself in a recent interview IIRC.  His inference is that he doesn`t want us to sit deep but we often do nonetheless. 

As an aside, to me,  the big difference between us and Ayr on last night`s showing was how comfortably the defence and perhaps crucially the goalkeeper coped with crosses into the box. I didn`t see the whole match, though I did see the majority of it, so this might be a skewed view.

I think the criticism was more in relation to the three away games in a row where we sat deep, playing anti-football for almost the whole of each match. Given that our best players are all attacking ones, this seems like an odd approach, although it did reap 4 points while scoring only one goal.

Saying that, the approach did seem to change in the last away game at Ayr. Whether this was due to the return of Harkins is hard to tell. I don’t think it is necessary to change the entire approach when he is out when we still have Stirling, Todd, Dykes and Dobbie in the team. Anyway, the fact that it did revert to a more attacking style is positive and could mean that the penny has already dropped. 

11 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

This

54 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Also a bit of this. To suggest that Ayr are where they are because they "have a go" is doing a real dis-service to their defence, who look as good as any in the league. Only Ross County have conceded less and, the 5-0 game apart, Ayr have only conceded 7 goals in 14 games.

7 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

Great win and welcome 3 points however updates said Dobbie off abjured and it "looked bad". Can anyone elaborate?

Looked like his hamstring  done it when scoring the goal .A real worry could not put any weight on that leg .

We have played better and lost so great win Thistle will feel hard done not to get at least a point  thought they had a very good pen claim in injury time 

Just need to hope Dobbie wasn't risking it but it didn't look good at all. Can't help but feel a bit angry as this was surely always coming with only 2 strikers on the books.

I wonder if Harkins will be played higher up the park then or if it was just because he was still on the park. Either than or Dykes playing up front alone. I fully expect a 451 next week. Hopefully our attacking players step up if Dobbs is out for a while.