The Queen of the South thread

4 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Have said from start of the season we need another Striker!! 

Amazed we signed Frizzell when we really needed another Striker .

Not easy to get a good striker in as anyone good will not be sent out on loan our best bet is a young striker on loan 

40 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Have said from start of the season we need another Striker!! 

I have said before that Brownlie will be fit in January and Semple will go back to SUFC and go on loan somewhere else. This will allow his budget to go on a forward.

only issue with that is if Brownlie is not ready by January.

Can’t imagine Killie will be sending another player on loan any time soon.  Frizzels loan has been a complete waste of time , more for the player than us.

I could see Sheffield United sending a young forward though. Semples loan has worked out really well for all concerned.

I take it the loans of Frizzell and Semple can be extended till the end of the season .
Has David Norman got to go back to Canada in the New Year .
If there was any way I would try to get Don Thomas  back from Killie not extend  Frizzell loan .
Semple is probably  as good as we could get would like a experienced leader at the back but that will be out of our budget .
We have to sign a back up forward look at Inverness they changed the game when they put 2 forwards on with half a hour to go .
No idea where the money for this is going to come from 

I think Thomas is a very talented player but he flatters to deceive and with him being “all left foot” he becomes very predictable.Compared to Todd and Stirling I think he is a long way behind both and personally I don’t think he is what we need. If it was a choice between Frizzell and Thomas then I would go for Thomas but I would much rather that we sign a quality central midfielder.

13 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I would much rather that we sign a quality central midfielder.

Central midfielder??? I hope you meant attacker as in the middle of the park is where we are most covered with Harkins, Jacobs , Norman, Todd and Bell. We desperately need another striker though and I would be pretty raging if we signed a centre midfielder instead.

2 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

Amazed we signed Frizzell when we really needed another Striker .

Not easy to get a good striker in as anyone good will not be sent out on loan our best bet is a young striker on loan 

Be nice if someone like Sheff Utd could loan us a young striker in January. We only have ONE natural goalscorer in our squad, thank god its Dobbs!    Please give us another option upfront that could help the team from the start or come on and help change the game in last 30mins, as it is we can't change anything.. 

1 hour ago, SueSue said:

Can’t imagine Killie will be sending another player on loan any time soon.  Frizzels loan has been a complete waste of time , more for the player than us.

I could see Sheffield United sending a young forward though. Semples loan has worked out really well for all concerned.

Ben Woodburn, please and thank you ;) 

Central midfielder??? I hope you meant attacker as in the middle of the park is where we are most covered with Harkins, Jacobs , Norman, Todd and Bell. We desperately need another striker though and I would be pretty raging if we signed a centre midfielder instead.

You are right we have several options in central midfield BUT the debate is whether any of the permutations actually work for us. Our failure to keep hold of the ball when in winning positions in key games is a recurring theme and it is invariably our midfield that gets overrun at crucial times (admittedly not helped by a back 4 that retreats deeper and deeper).

Of the 5 players named the manager doesn’t fully trust either Todd or Harkins in central mid so that leaves Bell,Jacobs and Norman. When you look at it like that our options are pretty limited. Personally I like Todd in central midfield - he is quality player and if we could find him a partner we could solve the problem.

Striker - no problem if he signs a striker instead but remember GN tends to play with one up top and 3 in behind so in that permutation an additional striker will need to be content to primarily be a bench warmer.

Every club in the championship (apart from Queens) has a substitute striker on the bench that can come on and try help change a game if needed. 
[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Naw, thats definitely not true.

We have Dennon Lewis and Marcus Haber.

(Unless you are allowing change the game to include making defeat much more likely)

If there are strikers out there who want to sit on the bench and possibly get 10 minutes near the end of the match then by all means get one in but it is not a game changer for us so long as Dobbie is fit and available.

As Flash says a CB is also a big priority if Semple returns to Sheffield.

55 minutes ago, Flash said:

If Semple is going back in January when Brownlie is fit, I think the main priority should be to sign a centre back.

With Semple strangely on the bench on Saturday I don’t think GN will have an issue with Brownlie as back up ......

looks like he may already be preparing for Semple  going back 

Plus his budget could go to strengthen elsewhere........

I was wondering if the Ryan Gibson who was back-up keeper last week V Inverness CT Is the same Ryan Gibson who is listed on Peterhead's team lines in Saturday's cup game V Morton (unused sub). I believe he is from Willie Gibson's family.  If it is the same player how is he allowed to play for both teams if required?

32 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I was wondering if the Ryan Gibson who was back-up keeper last week V Inverness CT Is the same Ryan Gibson who is listed on Peterhead's team lines in Saturday's cup game V Morton (unused sub). I believe he is from Willie Gibson's family.  If it is the same player how is he allowed to play for both teams if required?

Funnily enough I was wondering the same on Saturday night when I seen the team lines from Morton v Peterhead game. SD help. 

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

1 hour ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Funnily enough I was wondering the same on Saturday night when I seen the team lines from Morton v Peterhead game. SD help. 

Same player, yes. He's Wullie's brother.

He is on loan to Peterhead from us but the SPFL now allows a 7 day emergency loan in the event of cases of genuine fitness absence of a regular keeper. You can, if you prefer, recall a keeper of your own who is out on loan for 7 days rather than bring one in from elsewhere. In the circumstances last week with Alan Martin medically unfit, and particularly with Peterhead not actually having a game, we recalled him for 7 days. He's back out on loan to them now.

Same principle that saw Falkirk recall their no 3 keeper from loan at Dumbarton to sit on the bench against us after Fasan got himself sent off in the game before.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

19 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Same player, yes. He's Wullie's brother.

He is on loan to Peterhead from us but the SPFL now allows a 7 day emergency loan in the event of cases of genuine fitness absence of a regular keeper. You can, if you prefer, recall a keeper of your own who is out on loan for 7 days rather than bring one in from elsewhere. In the circumstances last week with Alan Martin medically unfit, and particularly with Peterhead not actually having a game, we recalled him for 7 days. He's back out on loan to them now.

Same principle that saw Falkirk recall their no 3 keeper from loan at Dumbarton to sit on the bench against us after Fasan got himself sent off in the game before.

If one of our keepers is injured and unable to play in the cup V Dundee is Ryan Gibson now deemed to be cup-tied because he was an unused sub for Peterhead? 

44 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

If one of our keepers is injured and unable to play in the cup V Dundee is Ryan Gibson now deemed to be cup-tied because he was an unused sub for Peterhead? 

No, being an unused sub hasn't been enough to cup tie anyone for a couple of years. You have to now get on the actual field to be cup tied.

That said, there's no automatic process of recall for the Scottish Cup anyway, it's an SPFL dispensation, not an SFA one. We might be allowed to recall him for the Scottish Cup, we might not, It would require a case to be put to the Competitions Committee. I looked into the potential process at the start of the week when there was some doubt about whether Martin would be fit enough for the bench. That's presuming his loan is continued for the second half of the season of course. As it stands it's due to expire before we play the next round of the cup.

Peterhead of course have a replay to play. He could conceivably still get himself cup tied before the next round yet. The manager was content to give him permission to play for Peterhead in it though so presumably he's comfortable with it. He was an unused sub for Peterhead in the previous round too. At the time he went out on loan he was also behind Sam Henderson but he's left us since.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

No, being an unused sub hasn't been enough to cup tie anyone for a couple of years. You have to now get on the actual field to be cup tied.

That said, there's no automatic process of recall for the Scottish Cup anyway, it's an SPFL dispensation, not an SFA one. We might be allowed to recall him for the Scottish Cup, we might not, It would require a case to be put to the Competitions Committee. That's presuming his loan is continued for the second half of the season of course. As it stands it's due to expire before we play the next round of the cup.

OK,  thanks.