The Queen of the South thread

42 minutes ago, Brother Grimm said:

Was he not at Gretna at the time? Then to Annan, then to Workington and then back to Annan?

He was at Annan at the time as understudy to Craig Summersgill I think. He did subsequently leave Annan before coming back. Not sure where he was but I have no reason to doubt you if you say it was Workington.

21 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He was at Annan at the time as understudy to Craig Summersgill I think. He did subsequently leave Annan before coming back. Not sure where he was but I have no reason to doubt you if you say it was Workington.

I see he made his Annan debut near the end of the 2010/2011 season, he looks to have started once in May and on the bench in February.

Johny Jamieson and Summersgill both had spells as number one. 

He was maybe just on loan at Gretna.

16 hours ago, SueSue said:

Now put them in order of ability whilst at Queens !!

I'll give it a go.  From best to worst:

1. Jamie Macdonald - as a youngster he slotted comfortable into a team full of experienced senior players and didn't look out of place as we reached the Scottish Cup final.  He has been a mainstay in the league above ever since.  Very good goalkeeper.

2. Zander Clark - He had his doubters to begin with but I remember taking to him fairly quickly.  He was just starting his career when he was with us, and wasn't flawless but I saw enough to suggest he could have a very successful career.  With McGregor, Gordon and Marshall all coming to the end of their careers there will be a few young goalkeepers with their eyes on caps in the future and I think Zander could be one of them.

3. Cammy Bell - I must admit to not particularly rating Bell that highly and he didn't play that often for us.  His subsequent career would suggest he is a good goalkeeper.

4. Lee Robinson - The many faces of Lee Robinson could have appeared in any position on this list.  Comfortably number one on his day when he is saving and scoring penalties in shootouts, bottom when he is arsing about and making howlers.  A mid table position is probably about right.  He was a good servant over the years in his many spells but it was definitely time to cut ties during his most recent stint.

5. Craig Samson -  Another that I didn't rate at all but has managed to forge a relatively successful career.  He looked very solid last season for title-winning St Mirren but I will always remember him for his part in Ryan McCann's goal.

6. David Hutton - I liked Hutton, he seemed to be a good fit with us for a while.  Not spectacular enough to win a move to a higher level, and not calamitous as some of the other names on the list.  Just a solid enough player for the level we were at.  Sadly he will be remembered for a howler in the Challenge Cup final up in Perth.

7. Scott Fox - Fox was another goalkeeper I rated but who didn't play for us for very long.  Another one who has had a decent career spent largely in the top flight.

8. Robbie Thomson - Thomson was a bit meh.  Never really filled me with confidence.

9. Alan Martin - Spent 50% of his time with us being unfit and injured and the other 50% looking unfit and injured.  Slow, cumbersome and permanently glued to his line.  I can't wait until we empty him in the summer.

10. Calum Antell - No comment needed really.  I missed some of his main horrorshow performances so feel no real anger towards him just pity.  He was clearly way out of his depth at this level and his confidence was shot.  I'm really pleased for him that he is still involved at senior level, although I was equally happy to see us stick 4 past him earlier in the season.

11 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

I'll give it a go.  From best to worst:

1. Jamie Macdonald - as a youngster he slotted comfortable into a team full of experienced senior players and didn't look out of place as we reached the Scottish Cup final.  He has been a mainstay in the league above ever since.  Very good goalkeeper.

2. Zander Clark - He had his doubters to begin with but I remember taking to him fairly quickly.  He was just starting his career when he was with us, and wasn't flawless but I saw enough to suggest he could have a very successful career.  With McGregor, Gordon and Marshall all coming to the end of their careers there will be a few young goalkeepers with their eyes on caps in the future and I think Zander could be one of them.

3. Cammy Bell - I must admit to not particularly rating Bell that highly and he didn't play that often for us.  His subsequent career would suggest he is a good goalkeeper.

4. Lee Robinson - The many faces of Lee Robinson could have appeared in any position on this list.  Comfortably number one on his day when he is saving and scoring penalties in shootouts, bottom when he is arsing about and making howlers.  A mid table position is probably about right.  He was a good servant over the years in his many spells but it was definitely time to cut ties during his most recent stint.

5. Craig Samson -  Another that I didn't rate at all but has managed to forge a relatively successful career.  He looked very solid last season for title-winning St Mirren but I will always remember him for his part in Ryan McCann's goal.

6. David Hutton - I liked Hutton, he seemed to be a good fit with us for a while.  Not spectacular enough to win a move to a higher level, and not calamitous as some of the other names on the list.  Just a solid enough player for the level we were at.  Sadly he will be remembered for a howler in the Challenge Cup final up in Perth.

7. Scott Fox - Fox was another goalkeeper I rated but who didn't play for us for very long.  Another one who has had a decent career spent largely in the top flight.

8. Robbie Thomson - Thomson was a bit meh.  Never really filled me with confidence.

9. Alan Martin - Spent 50% of his time with us being unfit and injured and the other 50% looking unfit and injured.  Slow, cumbersome and permanently glued to his line.  I can't wait until we empty him in the summer.

10. Calum Antell - No comment needed really.  I missed some of his main horrorshow performances so feel no real anger towards him just pity.  He was clearly way out of his depth at this level and his confidence was shot.  I'm really pleased for him that he is still involved at senior level, although I was equally happy to see us stick 4 past him earlier in the season.

I'd have exactly the same top two and bottom two, with the players in the same positions for the reasons you give, although McDonald should have saved Rangers' second goal in the final.

Otherwise, I'd probably have Robinson a place higher despite the nonsense of his latest stint here.  I'd probably also put Hutton and Fox ahead of Samson, whose subsequent career remains a surprise.

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

We'll take him in January if you want? I don't know what you guys have done to him.

I think the fact we have so many of our ex keepers playing elsewhere is indicative that we've had some decent ones over the years. Three of them have gone on to get international call ups and there's a reasonable chance Clark will become a 4th. Ludovic Roy was probably as good as most of them too if he were still playing, though Roddy McKenzie was done before he reached here and Bryn Halliwell was almost as big a disaster as Antell.

I don't particularly want to go into ordering them so I'll just run with Cammy's order. And I'm not commenting on Martin as a current player.

I'd agree though that Jamie MacDonald would be top. I've said before, he didn't really make spectacular saves often because his footwork was so good he didn't need to. He made the positional aspect look easy. Wasn't the biggest and whilst MT blames him for the 2nd Rangers goal in the final (he might have done better but I thought he was unlucky that Beasley mis-hit it), I blame him more for the winner where Boyd's header, powerful though it was, went pretty much right over him into the net. He didn't seem to have the greatest season when he was with Falkirk at this level for a year (still made another Scottish Cup Final) but he has been a 1st choice in the top division for most of the last decade and maybe a wee bit unlucky not to have had a Scotland squad call up at some point when you consider the likes of Bell, Fox and Samson all have. He's better than all three in my opinion.

Zander did very well for us. He's not as mobile or positionally great as MacDonald but that's probably because he's much bigger. A giant of a man, he fills the goal. His biggest weakness for me was probably losing too many one on ones with strikers. I never felt he was favourite when a striker was running through on goal. His best game for us was probably his last one when he was absolutely immense at Ibrox in the playoff loss. If Vuckic hadn't headed Derek Lyle's late effort off the line it would have been Zander's heroics which got us extra time. I agree with Cammy that with his age and career path so far there's every chance he's one of the leading lights of Scottish goalkeeping in the next 4 or 5 years.

Cammy Bell I felt got a raw deal from our fans in his 6 month spell, and probably didn't compare favourably to MacDonald (though he was much better than Halliwell who was here at the same time). I thought he did well for us and was disappointed when he returned to Kilmarnock. He's a terrific guy though whose career has been blighted by several injuries. Lacks a bit of height and that and the injuries stopped him going to the very top but he did get a Scotland cap, which is more than any of the others on this list managed (Fox and Samson made squads but didn't play).

Lee Robinson, where to start? Did ok in his first spell, better in his second but nothing particularly special. His 3rd spell was fantastic. Easily the best keeper in the 2nd division when we won it and one of the best in the 1st division in our relegation season. It's very disappointing that he then got itchy feet and moved to Sweden. We were the weaker for it, at least until Clark arrived, and it didn't really do him any good either. Didn't play much in Sweden, had a poor spell at Raith (although heroic in the Challenge Cup Final v Rangers), ended up back at Rangers for a while playing a handful of games, then gave up the game to concentrate on coaching. Lured back for a 4th spell it didn't really work out and all ended acrimoniously which is a shame. Seems to have done well for Dunfermline since moving there.

I never particularly rated Craig Samson when here. He was very average in his first spell and reserve to Colin Scott until he went back to Kilmarnock as he wasn't getting a game. In fairness he was pretty young at the time. He was nowhere near as good as the likes of MacDonald and Clark at the same age though. He's not a bad keeper and got better with experience but I'm pretty astonished he got to Scotland squad level ahead of MacDonald.

David Hutton never really looked as good for us as he did against us for Clyde. Another who probably isn't really big enough to be a top level keeper. He did ok and were it not for that high profile cock up in the Challenge Cup Final, would probably be remembered more fondly than he is. He's drowned out by many far better keepers on this list though.

Scott Fox played only a handful of games for us as an amateur during his Celtic dispute. A good keeper with great reactions but I felt too guilty of parrying shots back into play rather than away wide. I'd have merrily kept him though at the time and he certainly looked like he would go on to do well as he has. Another who is slightly short for a keeper.

I was pleased when we signed Robbie Thomson. He had looked good against us both for Stenhousemuir in our 2nd division title season and for Cowdenbeath in the 1st division. It never really worked for him though. Similar to Hutton, did ok, but not magic and there are far better keepers on the list.

Calum Antell clearly had a nightmare with us. There's not too much else to say about that. Like perhaps Barry John Corr if you go back far enough, a couple of bad errors early in his time with us got people on his back, confidence suffered and he never looked like getting it back. I'm delighted to see he's eventually got back to playing regularly now. I felt really sorry for him when he was with us but it really didn't work out.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Are you forgetting Curtis Lyle was on loan from Killie but don't think he made a first team appearance

Just seen that you said first team need to start reading the questions [emoji15] [emoji15]

Just now, temps15 said:

Are you forgetting Curtis Lyle was on loan from Killie but don't think he made a first team appearance

Forgetting him for what? He hasn't played for either us or Killie. The original question was about keepers who have played for us and are 1st choice somewhere else.

2 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Can any of you boys put a positive spin on the underwhelming appointment of Jim McIntyre at Dens? Anything? I'll take anything. 

For me that's an excellent appointment. I'd take McIntyre back in a heartbeat if we had a vacancy. I suspect generally you'll get mixed views from our fans though. He had 13 months here. He was at County longer and working on a Premier budget there. I presume they'll be better placed to judge him. But he's very organised, authoritative and driven.

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

For me that's an excellent appointment. I'd take McIntyre back in a heartbeat if we had a vacancy. I suspect generally you'll get mixed views from our fans though. He had 13 months here. He was at County longer and working on a Premier budget there. I presume they'll be better placed to judge him. But he's very organised, authoritative and driven.

Thank you. 

1 hour ago, Dee Man said:

Can any of you boys put a positive spin on the underwhelming appointment of Jim McIntyre at Dens? Anything? I'll take anything. 

McIntyre for McCann is a significant upgrade.  Mind you, I suppose the same could be said about a BLT with mayo....

McIntyre and Allan Johnston are probably the best regarded managers we've had in recent seasons.  Can see JM doing well at Dens if he's given a reasonable chance.

David Hutton was arguably one of worst goalkeepers I've ever seen, and I've seen a large number of them over the years for and against us.

Definitely the worst keeper I’ve seen at Ayr and with our goalie situation last season that’s saying something.

McIntyre for McCann is a significant upgrade.  Mind you, I suppose the same could be said about a BLT with mayo....
McIntyre and Allan Johnston are probably the best regarded managers we've had in recent seasons.  Can see JM doing well at Dens if he's given a reasonable chance.
I think McIntyre still splits opinion among our fans. For me I think he did a decent job and don't dislike him but similarly, I wouldn't be keen to have him back.

I think McIntyre still splits opinion among our fans. For me I think he did a decent job and don't dislike him but similarly, I wouldn't be keen to have him back.

Basically this. He wasn’t great, he wasn’t terrible. I’d be massively underwhelmed if he came back though.

If I was a Dundee fan however I’d be happy enough with a safe appointment like that after McCann’s stint.