The Queen of the South thread

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Where's this 80k stadium we're playing Israel at?

I remember bigger crowds when we used to qualify too - in fact I was part of the one when we clumsily clinched qualification for Italy.

However, during our long run of failing to qualify, our gates have been better than most countries, even much stronger ones, can often get.  Part of me laments the fact that they've been so good, as it's enabled the SFA to charge more than just about any other Association in Europe for tickets.

Okay, 50k or 60k stadium. The point remains the same.

I am interested how you know what the German, French, Italian or English  Associations charge for home games?

Most like myself wouldn’t have a bloody clue

3 minutes ago, SueSue said:

Okay, 50k or 60k stadium. The point remains the same.

I am interested how you know what the German, French, Italian or English  Associations charge for home games?

Most like myself wouldn’t have a bloody clue

It was a published fact that for one of the recent campaigns, maybe the failed Euro 16 one,  Scotland was the most expensive side to watch in qualifiers.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

45 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It was a published fact that for one of the recent campaigns, maybe the failed Euro 16 one,  Scotland was the most expensive side to watch in qualifiers.

That single fact will have a massive impact  on attendances...

that and being sadly being shite.

One wonders why Connor can't get even a few mins as a sub for the first team!! Considering he has been our most experienced player on the bench the last few weeks, when we have been struggling to breakdown teams. Maybe someone knows??? 

_20181015_155035.JPG

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

The treatment of Murray does seem a bit bizarre.  Last season he played a lot more than he probably deserved to.  Now that he probably deserves a shot due to the ineffective performances of those ahead of him he can't get a sniff!

I just don't get the logic that because our bench is full of youngsters we shouldn't use substitutes.  To me a change that doesn't come off is far more preferable to not making one at all.

Watching Murray in the reserves I just don't think he is up to it I believe if he is to get anywhere near this level he needs to go on loan to annan or league 1/2 team and see how he gets on there
This is sink or swim time in his career in my opinion

3 hours ago, temps15 said:

Watching Murray in the reserves I just don't think he is up to it I believe if he is to get anywhere near this level he needs to go on loan to annan or league 1/2 team and see how he gets on there
This is sink or swim time in his career in my opinion

Agree he isn't upto starting but a last 10/15 min role rather than not use a substitute he surely merits considering he has appeared almost 50 times for the club, either that or he shouldn't be there... 

13 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Agree he isn't upto starting but a last 10/15 min role rather than not use a substitute he surely merits considering he has appeared almost 50 times for the club, either that or he shouldn't be there... 

I'm also a bit surprised that Murray hasn't made more appearances from the bench, I'm sure he started a few games last season and regularly came on as a sub also so he has a certain level of experience that some others on the bench don't.   When we have a relatively weaker bench this season it's strange he hasn't featured more.  I don't think he's quite ready to be a regular starter but he could add a bit if pace later in games when opposition defenders are tiring. 

Moderately interesting facts.......

Trivia question I was given this week which I hadn't really thought about until now but I found it quite interesting. There are 42 clubs in the SPFL. Currently TEN of them have a 1st choice goalkeeper who has played for Queen of the South. Can you name them?

(Note there is actually an 11th who was contracted to us but never actually played and is currently out injured anyway). One is obviously Alan Martin. Who wants to fill in the other 9 (and get the bonus point 10th)?

Edited by Skyline Drifter

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Moderately interesting facts.......

Trivia question I was given this week which I hadn't really thought about until now but I found it quite interesting. There are 42 clubs in the SPFL. Currently TEN of them have a 1st choice goalkeeper who has played for Queen of the South. Can you name them?

(Note there is actually an 11th who was contracted to us but never actually played and is currently out injured anyway). One is obviously Alan Martin. Who wants to fill in the other 9 (and get the bonus point 10th)?

Can’t think of the bonus!

Zander Clark

Jim Atkinson

Lee Robinson

Callum Antell

Jamie McDonald

Craig Samson

David Hutton

Cammy Bell

Scott Fox

9 minutes ago, Dougie Mills said:

Can’t think of the bonus!

Zander Clark

Jim Atkinson

Lee Robinson

Callum Antell

Jamie McDonald

Craig Samson

David Hutton

Cammy Bell

Scott Fox

Robbie Thomson is at Raith Rovers. Jim Atkinson is now at Gretna

Ryan Gibson at peterhead on loan but doesn`t fit the first choice remit

Edit to add is the 11th one Grant Adam at Dumbarton.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer