The Queen of the South thread

2 hours ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

I reckon there is a collective "f**k sake" from the rest of the league at this news. Ah well.

^This! 

Pleased for you guys though, it's great to see a player who loves the club he plays for and continues to do so when he could get better renumeration elsewhere. (I don't subscribe to the £2k per week patter)

Absolute model professional as well. 

It's usually sunshine that makes me happy but this news makes me forget the crap weather. He is defo a one off. Could earn more elsewhere but he's got a love for the club that knows no bounds. The people of Dumfries should all turn out for the Falkirk game and pay homage to a true legend.

25 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

I think with this contract extension there is every chance of him being only the second player in the clubs history to hit 200 goals for the club. Its definatly achievable so lets enjoy weeks and months to follow and see if he can reach such a milestone.

He is 68 goals short. In 18 months? :o

Even for Dobbie, especially given he will be 37 by the time his present contract expires, thats not realistic. He has 77 goals in the 26 months he has been back so far and thats remarkable enough.

He is 68 goals short. In 18 months? [emoji33]
Even for Dobbie, especially given he will be 37 by the time his present contract expires, thats not realistic. He has 77 goals in the 26 months he has been back so far and thats remarkable enough.
Do not doubt the Dobbie

7 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

5 hours ago, Swarley said:
7 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:
He is 68 goals short. In 18 months? emoji33.png

Do not doubt the Dobbie

This.

8 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED | made w/ Imgflip meme maker

He is 68 goals short. In 18 months? [emoji33]

Maybe he will do a season after that? He’s so fit and seems to have a real desire to keep playing.

15 hours ago, BeeJay said:

It's usually sunshine that makes me happy but this news makes me forget the crap weather. He is defo a one off. Could earn more elsewhere but he's got a love for the club that knows no bounds. The people of Dumfries should all turn out for the Falkirk game and pay homage to a true legend.

I wish they bloody well would - attendances have been falling and we've got the best striker this club/league have seen in years.  So frustrating.

The most exciting games we have had for years and still numbers drop.
i don’t understand !! 
Winning team on the park = more fans. If we can climb the table and perform more consistently im sure the attendances will improve. Although maybe not as much as they would have in past years.

4 hours ago, QosLoyal said:
7 hours ago, SueSue said:
i don’t understand !! 

Winning team on the park = more fans. If we can climb the table and perform more consistently im sure the attendances will improve. Although maybe not as much as they would have in past years.

From a personal perspective I get to as many games as I can but as a central belter its usually more away than home. Despite Dobbies heroics, I don't sense any great optimism from the club that we might get promoted this season. We've got a manager that many still aren't convinced about, a defence that's clearly short of a Thomsonesque leader and its been a few years since we've had a midfield that I was really excited about. Shipping 3 goals at home in 30 minutes to Alloa isn't really form to get people excited despite the ensuing Dobbie hattrick. I feel bad for not feeling more optimistic but its clear from the crowds that I'm not the only one. How many league games have we won so far out of 8?  2! and both of them in the space of a week end Aug/start Sept. If we don't beat Dunfermline in a fortnight it'll be nearly two months since our last league  win by the time we play Falkirk again  in the last week of October. Don't get me wrong I'll still be along to see some more Dobbie heroics but optimistic enough to shell out £30-40 to get to every game? Nope. Heck - this time 2007/08 season I  got 400/1 each way on a bet on Queens to win the Scottish cup - that's how optimistic I was back then! 

5 hours ago, QosLoyal said:
7 hours ago, SueSue said:
i don’t understand !! 

It really is that simple.

In the past when we have had managers playing a rather turgid style people have commented that it was driving punters away.  Yet here we are averaging 4.75 goals per game at Palmerston with the "Deadliest Striker in Europe©" strutting his stuff and the crowds remain the same.  Style of play is a complete myth when it comes to drawing crowds.  It is down to success on the park, plain and simple.

It's been done to death why we aren't a draw to a floating fan but in short it is because we never win promotion, or even flirt with doing so,  and we don't often get relegated.  We don't usually do very well in the cups, aside from the least important of the three which historically doesn't draw big crowds for anyone.  It means that the vast majority of our games have very little riding on them, and that holds no excitement to anyone outside the hardcore support.