The Queen of the South thread

4 minutes ago, printer said:

Dobbie was sensational yesterday. ☹

He obviously is sensational, and his quality has made the difference on so many occasions.  Yesterday was a bit different to the norm though I thought.  Whereas in the past he has been the standout player and often the match winner it has taken a team effort to get us over the line with Dobbie just being the icing on the cake.  In fact I have been quite defensive when others have accused us of being a one man team as it wasn't really the case.  We were a normal Queens team that has won the lottery and bagged themselves a player we have no right in having.

We were every bit the one man team yesterday though.  I don't think any of his goals were even half chances.  It's frustrating because if the rest of the players had taken even a tiny bit of responsibility yesterday we probably would have won.  It must be so easy to slip into a "coasting" mindset though when you have a player like Dobbie in the team.  I was midway through chastising Stirling for taking the easy option and passing to Dobbie when taking the full back on seemed a better option.  Dobbie then sticks it away from miles out to seal the comeback!  I was angry with the players yesterday, but I can see it from their point of view as well.  None of them will ever have his ability, but if some of his attitude could rub off onto them they'd immediately become far better players.

2 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

He obviously is sensational, and his quality has made the difference on so many occasions.  Yesterday was a bit different to the norm though I thought.  Whereas in the past he has been the standout player and often the match winner it has taken a team effort to get us over the line with Dobbie just being the icing on the cake.  In fact I have been quite defensive when others have accused us of being a one man team as it wasn't really the case.  We were a normal Queens team that has won the lottery and bagged themselves a player we have no right in having.

We were every bit the one man team yesterday though.  I don't think any of his goals were even half chances.  It's frustrating because if the rest of the players had taken even a tiny bit of responsibility yesterday we probably would have won.  It must be so easy to slip into a "coasting" mindset though when you have a player like Dobbie in the team.  I was midway through chastising Stirling for taking the easy option and passing to Dobbie when taking the full back on seemed a better option.  Dobbie then sticks it away from miles out to seal the comeback!  I was angry with the players yesterday, but I can see it from their point of view as well.  None of them will ever have his ability, but if some of his attitude could rub off onto them they'd immediately become far better players.

You are spot on with your post sonetimes players just take the easy option and  pass to Dobbie rather than have a go themselves..The likes of Dykes should be scoring more goals and the rest of the team but it is all Dobbie .

2 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

You,re last couple of sentences answer you,re own post.His attitude and confidence come from his total belief in his own ability,you cant coach that.We should have left Dumfries gutted at losing a three goal lead but no Alloa fan left the ground without applauding our team off the park.We were the better team yesterday but were undone by a performance from a special player.

4 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

Exact same as me mate, Wasjust shouting atStirling to F**king shoot then next thing Dobbs blasts it into the net.

Only a couple of idiots in our support were shouting abuse at Dobbie, Harkins et al.

I heard the usual abuse directed towards Dobbie and Harkins: "yer shite Dobbie", "yer a fat b£stard Harkins". It happens almost every game at Palmerston and although abuse towards players isn't exactly something to be proud of it's part and parcel of the game and those kind of shouts are almost acceptable. Shouting racial or homophobic things are unacceptable though and it was saddening to hear the latter yesterday.

Queens could do a lot worse than try and persuade Connor Shields to join on loan from Sunderland in Jan and team up with Dobbie, He played very well yesterday for Alloa, was very much sought after at Albion rovers and has strengthened since going to Sunderland. 

48 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Queens could do a lot worse than try and persuade Connor Shields to join on loan from Sunderland in Jan and team up with Dobbie, He played very well yesterday for Alloa, was very much sought after at Albion rovers and has strengthened since going to Sunderland. 

We should have signed a forward on loan  money is tight but getting a player on loan sometimes does not need to cost a lot .I am sure Sunderland will be paying more than half of Shields wages .

We should have waited as well to get Don Thomas back on loan not have at take the 1st player Killie offered us .

Frizzell might one day be as good as Thomas but that day is not now in saying all this with crowds of 1200 odd  we just have to take what we can get .

Falkirk got over 5000 at there game okay it was a derby game but we can only dream of crowds that big 

27 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

We should have signed a forward on loan  money is tight but getting a player on loan sometimes does not need to cost a lot .I am sure Sunderland will be paying more than half of Shields wages .

We should have waited as well to get Don Thomas back on loan not have at take the 1st player Killie offered us .

Frizzell might one day be as good as Thomas but that day is not now in saying all this with crowds of 1200 odd  we just have to take what we can get .

Falkirk got over 5000 at there game okay it was a derby game but we can only dream of crowds that big 

At the start of the season we didn’t have two CBs. The club found the finance to bring Semple in, who has been an excellent signing.

Then the next thing was to bring in cover for Harkins, Sterling etc. The club go out and bring in Frizzil with 40 first team games in the Premier League.

Your comment about signing ‘what you can get’ could come across as showing Semple and Frizzel no respect what so ever. Two young lads who have yet to let the club down.

There is only so much the club can do. Finances are tight.

Maybe when our CBs come back after injury Semple will go back in January and free finances up for a new shiny Centre Forward. Personally, I hope that he stays for the season.

I do understand your frustration but if the money is not there, it’s just not there.

1 hour ago, Northfield 53 said:

Unfortunately we couldn't wait that long for Thomas as we can only sign loan players in the transfer window unlike league 1&2 who get at least an extra month to sign loan players. 

Currently 1-0 down to Motherwell in a reserve cup game. 70 mins played. Motherwell twitter has updates.

QOS team : Leighfield, Gourlay, Exley, Bell, Harvey, Fordyce, Murray, Watson, Tremble, Norman, Ivison Subs: Gibson, Williams, McMahon, White, Irving, Gardner, Douglas

Edit to add it finished 0-1.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

22 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Currently 1-0 down to Motherwell in a reserve cup game. 70 mins played. Motherwell twitter has updates.

QOS team : Leighfield, Gourlay, Exley, Bell, Harvey, Fordyce, Murray, Watson, Tremble, Norman, Ivison Subs: Gibson, Williams, McMahon, White, Irving, Gardner, Douglas

Finished 0-1.

2 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

Really good interview with Stephen Dobbie .

Great footballer great guy 

Just a matter of time before he is the Queens manager 

Have you ever heard him intimating that he is looking to move into management? 

20 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Have you ever heard him intimating that he is looking to move into management? 

Yes numerous times, but not at the moment he has another couple of seasons playing in him yet, He is currently doing his coaching badges and helping manage the reserve team. 

15 hours ago, spacekid84 said:

A really enjoyable interview, as most of the series are.  The stuff at the end when he talks about re-joining Queens because of the love he has for the club is pretty special.

For anyone that hasn't watched any of the Open Goal videos I'd highly recommend them, usually very entertaining but also a great insight into the life of a professional footballer.  They are all interesting in their own way, but after Dobbie the one of most interest to Queens fans might be the Kevin Kyle interview.  Strangely when Si makes a quip about him being useful with his elbows he responds that he has only once gone out of his way to deliberately hurt someone and that was when he elbowed McGuffie at Ibrox.  Anyone know what that was all about?  Aside from that Kyle comes across really well.  His story about his contract negotiations when he joined Rangers tell a story of how badly run they were at the time (and possibly still are).