The Queen of the South thread

Nah, he's making an interesting point.
I wouldn't say he's being particularly positive or negative.  There is some criticism of the manager in there, as well as a call for more self belief to surround the club.
I find myself agreeing with those citing the logic that wage bill usually dictates the degree of success that clubs achieve.  I also do agree though with the point that says this season presents an opportunity.  I don't think that the League is particularly strong.  That of course, is before we factor in Dobbie.  We've no right to have someone like that and it won't last forever.  
I reserve the right to be a pessimistic fatalistic pain at all times.  I think the call for more upbeat noises from within the club itself however, is a reasonable one.

On ‎02‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 13:32, Rjc-1988 said:

Never speak ill about fellow supporters”.

Sadly, I am going to have to but with good reason.

My memory has just been jogged by 'Show Racism the Red Card' publicity.

Recently at Firhill after Partick had introduced their late subs there was a clear Racist comment by someone behind me.

I  turned around but was unable to identify which individual in the group had descended to  such a disgusting level   -   if I had been able to they would have been reported to the authorities.

I guess they will know who they are but will not feel ashamed in any way or else they would not have uttered the unacceptable comments in the first place.

This proves we still have a need for this campaign.

Recently at Firhill after Partick had introduced their late subs there was a clear Racist comment by someone behind me.
I  turned around but was unable to identify which individual in the group had descended to  such a disgusting level   -   if I had been able to they would have been reported to the authorities.
I guess they will know who they are but will not feel ashamed in any way or else they would not have uttered the unacceptable comments in the first place.
I never heard such a thing but were you sat to the left hand side of the stand out of interest?

1 hour ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

Yep, I remember one game at Palmerston last season, sitting  with my son in the Galloway News stand (or whatever it’s called these days), when some old bloke behind me came out with a remark about an opposition player that made former Grand Wizard of the KKK David Duke sound like a liberal. I turned round and fixed him with a disapproving glare, but I’m not sure it even registered. There are those whose attitudes are so antediluvian that not much can be done, sadly.

I've never head a thing at home or away games.  

But I remember years ago the crowd were chanting "you fat b*****d" and a wee boy about 5 years old was replacing the fat with black and was chanting it at the top of his voice, his dad was quick to correct him but for some reason it's something I've always remembered. 

Just thought I'd share that. 

As disgusting as these chants or opinions are against black players it is a little naive to think it will be stamped out totaly and that it is particularly bad within our following.

mind you it is far far less than it used to be  20 years ago. That said when you hear it in today’s society it sounds so out of place and so bad.

Did Alex Williams suffer some racial abuse at Palmerston during his loan spell in the 80's? I have it in my head that he did, maybe someone can clarify!

Ps, I'm not trying to make Queens fans out to be racist, we all have our idiots on the terraces. Just reading this thread made me think about him, on loan from Gateshead if I remember correctly.

Did Alex Williams suffer some racial abuse at Palmerston during his loan spell in the 80's? I have it in my head that he did, maybe someone can clarify!

Ps, I'm not trying to make Queens fans out to be racist, we all have our idiots on the terraces. Just reading this thread made me think about him, on loan from Gateshead if I remember correctly.

He’s quotes as saying he never received much racial abuse but was called an English b*****d on many occasions [emoji4]

I’m sure it’s in his book

9 minutes ago, paulbrucerick said:

Was Alex Williams not the goalie from Manchester City?

20 minutes ago, Steeplechat said:

He’s quotes as saying he never received much racial abuse but was called an English b*****d on many occasions emoji4.png

I’m sure it’s in his book

As I said I had vague memories of something happening but I may be wrong.

16 minutes ago, JessieField said:

Was Alex Williams not the goalie from Manchester City?

Yeah, dunno where Gateshead came from!:blink:

1 hour ago, kleinfaethetoon said:

We did have a guy on loan from Gateshead in the late 80’s called Joe Olabode am sure

He wasnt on loan. He was either a trialist or a month's contract (which you could do back then). Not certain which. There was an interview with him in one of the match programmes last seadon or the season before. Owns his own company now and did very well for himself as I recall.