The Queen of the South thread

5 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

I agree its always great to be a Queens fan rather than in just one particular moment.

Ok.

In that case you must consider the comment that "it's a great time to be a Queens fan just now" to be pretty redundant.  Clearly the same could be said during the Gus season. 

Guilty as charged on the Parade Pisser front.

Is the above not a wee bit overstated though?

Of course it’s always great to be a Queens fan but sometimes more than others. I was probably alluding more to the fact we have such an attacking and exciting team just now topped off with Dobbie who is completely sublime to watch.

Ok.
In that case you must consider the comment that "it's a great time to be a Queens fan just now" to be pretty redundant.  Clearly the same could be said during the Gus season. 
I thought you might bring that up. Yes that was a shit season. However it did lead to that remarkable season after, winning the second division and challenge cup.

I think the just now bit isnt redundant as recently we have witnessed great attacking play and plenty of goals, an improved defence and Dobbs reaching second all time goal scorer. We got out the group stage of league cup, still in challenge cup and we are well in the hunt league wise.

So yeah the just now part is accurate. As well as last decade overall. Im maybe a bit over the top here but i am enjoying this season so far.

Next few games ARE winnable but i am not expectant i am more hopeful that we can.A run in this league makes a huge difference, but by the same token any one can beat each other on their day. Would take a point at Dunfermline still not a bad team. The next 3 home games coming up would be the ones i would think 3 points are there for the taking obviously.

I firmly believe that this league offers us the best chance that we are likely to get to win the Championship title. Do I think we are going to do it? Of course the odds are against it but to win things the one thing you need to do is have total self belief and confidence.Some of the comments on here talk up the opposition to a level that is simply not justified. Of course we must have a healthy respect for all opponents but this year’s line up is riddled with mediocrity:-

- who would have thought that a club like Falkirk could assemble such a lacklustre squad
- who would have thought that DUFC could continue to entrust a vital promotion campaign to Csaba
- Partick have a decent enough squad but morale and momentum seem to be going in wrong direction
- Dunfermline certainly not giving the impression that all is well but things can change
- Morton losing their manager to Falkirk in these circs beggars belief and yesterdays mauling will not help
- ICT are not exactly firing up their fans which suggests that they expect them to be play off contenders at best
- RC are justifiable favourites but by no stretch of the imagination are they a shoo in
- Despite the 5-0 Ayr are the club that impresses me most. They have built up real momentum and it seems to me that they have got that desire to really try and win games home and away.
- Alloa will scrap for every last point

That is not a list to be frightened of with the players that we have. Reading some of the recent comments I could have been fooled into thinking that we had just earned a 0-0 at the Nou Camp.

ICT should have been grateful to secure a point against us - like the much lauded RC - they created virtually nothing against us.

36 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I firmly believe that this league offers us the best chance that we are likely to get to win the Championship title. Do I think we are going to do it? Of course the odds are against it but to win things the one thing you need to do is have total self belief and confidence.Some of the comments on here talk up the opposition to a level that is simply not justified. Of course we must have a healthy respect for all opponents but this year’s line up is riddled with mediocrity:-

- who would have thought that a club like Falkirk could assemble such a lacklustre squad
- who would have thought that DUFC could continue to entrust a vital promotion campaign to Csaba
- Partick have a decent enough squad but morale and momentum seem to be going in wrong direction
- Dunfermline certainly not giving the impression that all is well but things can change
- Morton losing their manager to Falkirk in these circs beggars belief and yesterdays mauling will not help
- ICT are not exactly firing up their fans which suggests that they expect them to be play off contenders at best
- RC are justifiable favourites but by no stretch of the imagination are they a shoo in
- Despite the 5-0 Ayr are the club that impresses me most. They have built up real momentum and it seems to me that they have got that desire to really try and win games home and away.
- Alloa will scrap for every last point

That is not a list to be frightened of with the players that we have. Reading some of the recent comments I could have been fooled into thinking that we had just earned a 0-0 at the Nou Camp.

ICT should have been grateful to secure a point against us - like the much lauded RC - they created virtually nothing against us.

Over the course of a season you take each game as it comes on the merits of what you expect from it and what results you have had immediately prior.

Yesterdays game at this stage of the season is a very good point that the magority would have taken.

On the back of the Partick result to go up there and get a point and a clean sheet is a very good result and sets us up nicely for the next few home games which we SHOULD expect to win.

on the basis of the expectations of us being a bottom 3 side this season....... from the media........ it is turning into an exciting season.

It’s nice to have a bit of confidence on here, but let’s be realistic football. A point at home to Ross county and away to Inverness are good points, regardless of what RJC thinks football doesn’t just pan out the way we want and think it should. We have a threadbare squad that are competing very well in a tight division, with teams with huge budgets and squads compared to ours. The starting 11 is decent our bench is okay will be further strengthened on fordyce return. We need to stay in the mix till January and take it from there, this is a league where everyone can beat anyone so as long as we do our bit by winning majority of home games and nick points every other away game we should be fine. Partick was disappointing, but the knicker wetting due to goals can be pushed to side, giving we reacted superbly keeping a clean sheet up there yesterday. Now it’s vital we back it up with a win next week, in what again will be a difficult game.

We’re doing fine, we are there or there abouts. It’s important we stay within touching distance of play offs till January for me, then strengthen where needs be.

Our squad size will be our downfall this season .

We have a decent 11 just now but no real back up ..

Our bench is still weak we can't really change the game with any of our subs .

Look at Ayr they needed to change the game at Morton had Craig Moore on the bench on he comes on and scores 2 goals and changes the game we dont have that I suppose that is why Ayr are top of the league  if only we had that then we could push on.

It’s nice to have a bit of confidence on here, but let’s be realistic football. A point at home to Ross county and away to Inverness are good points, regardless of what RJC thinks football doesn’t just pan out the way we want and think it should. We have a threadbare squad that are competing very well in a tight division, with teams with huge budgets and squads compared to ours. The starting 11 is decent our bench is okay will be further strengthened on fordyce return. We need to stay in the mix till January and take it from there, this is a league where everyone can beat anyone so as long as we do our bit by winning majority of home games and nick points every other away game we should be fine. Partick was disappointing, but the knicker wetting due to goals can be pushed to side, giving we reacted superbly keeping a clean sheet up there yesterday. Now it’s vital we back it up with a win next week, in what again will be a difficult game.

We’re doing fine, we are there or there abouts. It’s important we stay within touching distance of play offs till January for me, then strengthen where needs be.

Did Livvy get promoted last season by being realistic and “doing fine” or did they think “big” and set about delivering?

By the looks of things they haven’t allowed their expectations slip this season either.

1 minute ago, Northfield 53 said:

Our squad size will be our downfall this season .

We have a decent 11 just now but no real back up ..

Our bench is still weak we can't really change the game with any of our subs .

Look at Ayr they needed to change the game at Morton had Craig Moore on the bench on he comes on and scores 2 goals and changes the game we dont have that I suppose that is why Ayr are top of the league  if only we had that then we could push on.

I think in their brief appearances that Norman Jnr and maybe more so Frizzell have ability to come on and have an impact in games.  With Connor Murray also having a bit of 1st team experience I think the options from the bench are looking better now.  Obviously it would be nice to have two or three players to cover every position if needed but I get the impression that Naysmith is a bit more content trying to keep a smaller squad happy than worrying about rotating things to keep a bigger squad interested.  

2 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Did Livvy get promoted last season by being realistic and “doing fine” or did they think “big” and set about delivering?

By the looks of things they haven’t allowed their expectations slip this season either.

I find the  comparison with what  Livingston have done and what we should be doing to match them a bit odd.  Yes like us they don't attract big home crowds but they may  have the benefit of greater financial backing if needed.  It may be also be that they are operating on a financial knife edge which could just quite as  easily see them topple over into another administration.  I think this season we have a small tight-knit squad who play for and work hard for each other,  similar to what  the Livingston squad had lost season if you like,    but other than that I wouldn't like to be compared to Livingston at all.  Better to try and live within a tight budget and survive that splash out cash that we can't afford. Our squad has the ability to do as well as Livingston did last season but we will need a fair bit of luck in things like avoiding injuries and suspensions to key players if we are to have a chance. 

I find the  comparison with what  Livingston have done and what we should be doing to match them a bit odd.  Yes like us they don't attract big home crowds but they may  have the benefit of greater financial backing if needed.  It may be also be that they are operating on a financial knife edge which could just quite as  easily see them topple over into another administration.  I think this season we have a small tight-knit squad who play for and work hard for each other,  similar to what  the Livingston squad had lost season if you like,    but other than that I wouldn't like to be compared to Livingston at all.  Better to try and live within a tight budget and survive that splash out cash that we can't afford. Our squad has the ability to do as well as Livingston did last season but we will need a fair bit of luck in things like avoiding injuries and suspensions to key players if we are to have a chance. 

Nothing odd about it.

I am not suggesting for a minute that I want Queens to copy the Livvy off field model. I don’t think anybody would.

I am talking about a club that had pitiful crowd income, a very low wage budget and no financial resources to speak off to make any big signings.

That is a mirror image of our situation so surely that comparison is a valid one?

Nothing odd about it.

I am not suggesting for a minute that I want Queens to copy the Livvy off field model. I don’t think anybody would.

I am talking about a club that had pitiful crowd income, a very low wage budget and no financial resources to speak off to make any big signings.

That is a mirror image of our situation so surely that comparison is a valid one?

Livingston got to January in a good position, then decided to be bold and back there manager. A superb decision, as I hope we do if in same boat

Hi guys. Aside from scoring for fun against us, was Dom Thomas any good for you lot?
Very good when he was firing. He could go missing sometimes but when he was playing well he was good to watch. Had no idea he had signed for yourselves until you posted. Disappointed he never came back here if Killie were willing to loan him out again.

Should be a superb signing at that level and the Sonhamers connection continues :)

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

Very good when he was firing. He could go missing sometimes but when he was playing well he was good to watch. Had no idea he had signed for yourselves until you posted. Disappointed he never came back here if Killie were willing to loan him out again.

Should be a superb signing at that level and the Sonhamers connection continues :)

Championship sides cant sign anyone after August 31st. League 1 & 2 clubs had a second loan deadline up to this weekend.