The Queen of the South thread

But if you do decide to help out make sure it's minute-by-minute updates. Even if it's a 0-0 game with 3 shots on target the entire game, make sure you give some sort of update for goodness sake. People have to know what's happening even if what is happening is f**k all!

Magnificent!

But if you do decide to help out make sure it's minute-by-minute updates. Even if it's a 0-0 game with 3 shots on target the entire game, make sure you give some sort of update for goodness sake. People have to know what's happening even if what is happening is f**k all!
Regular updates on what time the broken clock is showing would also be appreciated

9 minutes ago, Swarley said:
31 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Regular updates on what time the broken clock is showing would also be appreciated

Still trying to get that fixed. Need someone to come up from Birmingham to look at it. It did get a facelift last week though and a wee narrative added that either nobody noticed or just didnt mention.

Still trying to get that fixed. Need someone to come up from Birmingham to look at it. It did get a facelift last week though and a wee narrative added that either nobody noticed or just didnt mention.
An excellent update. Can you do the match day twitter feed please? [emoji12]

13 hours ago, BIGdavieT said:

Of course Twitter updates are good and should be encouraged but match details are already available from Sportsound “Open all Mics,” bbc and sky. we should be aiming higher and have a long term goal of providing video streams of matches for all exiled Doonhamers.

As I have said before, I can now sit in My living room in Dubai with a beer and watch us live v Falkirk, Dunfermline and Partick.

Are there any media students who are currently Queens fans?!

I currently have a season ticket which barely gets used. I hope to be back in Scotland in the next 2-3 years and I hope I can perhaps get a live QOSTV going as a volunteer when I return.

I know this has been done to death before but I dont see why live streaming is "aiming higher". Out of the 90 or so people who gave feedback after the recent trial 5 of them were from outside the UK. Obviously, there will be others more interested in live streaming but theres nothing to suggest the demand is more than a dozen or so.

I'd rather we were able to bring more matchday stuff to a wider audience, like better updates, facebook live streaming of interviews, warm ups etc. I think we would also be better focusing on  the already excellent highlights packages and seeing what else can be done to make those even better.

9 hours ago, Mr X said:

I know this has been done to death before but I dont see why live streaming is "aiming higher". Out of the 90 or so people who gave feedback after the recent trial 5 of them were from outside the UK. Obviously, there will be others more interested in live streaming but theres nothing to suggest the demand is more than a dozen or so.

I'd rather we were able to bring more matchday stuff to a wider audience, like better updates, facebook live streaming of interviews, warm ups etc. I think we would also be better focusing on  the already excellent highlights packages and seeing what else can be done to make those even better.

I agree Mr X.

All the things you mention like updates, live interviews, even fans interviews, new signing interviews, training footage is all the things that the wider public would love to see.

more player interaction in the programme, Facebook etc

i don’t think live-streaming is for the masses.

2 hours ago, SueSue said:

I agree Mr X.

All the things you mention like updates, live interviews, even fans interviews, new signing interviews, training footage is all the things that the wider public would love to see.

more player interaction in the programme, Facebook etc

i don’t think live-streaming is for the masses.

No, and it never will be as long as the league rules stop live broadcasting in the UK.

Of course Twitter updates are good and should be encouraged but match details are already available from Sportsound “Open all Mics,” bbc and sky. we should be aiming higher and have a long term goal of providing video streams of matches for all exiled Doonhamers.

As I have said before, I can now sit in My living room in Dubai with a beer and watch us live v Falkirk, Dunfermline and Partick.

Are there any media students who are currently Queens fans?!

I currently have a season ticket which barely gets used. I hope to be back in Scotland in the next 2-3 years and I hope I can perhaps get a live QOSTV going as a volunteer when I return.

Have Queens actually advertised that they are looking for someone to take over the match day twitter updates ?

No, and it never will be as long as the league rules stop live broadcasting in the UK.

Easy for folk who live in Scotland to say.

It’s very easy to watch in the UK with a certain bit of software that has been discussed on here before.

More importantly, how many loyal Queens fans have moved away from Scotland over the last 20 years and just lost interest eventually because it’s pretty much impossible to watch a game live. Are all of that “young team” on the terrace going to live in Dumfries or even Scotland for the rest of their lives? Keeping these kind of people connected with the club is a long term way of helping the club. Not just through a small fee for the stream, but through keeping interest, merchandising etc. when a young Queens fan goes to uni in 10-15 years from now, he/she may not have the cash or time to travel to games but they will expect to be able to pay a few quid and watch it on their phone. Then instead of losing their interest as happens currently, we keep them engaged with the club and they start to put money back in in the future.

The clubs that are currently doing this at our level have in the region of 50-200 subscribers. Not gonna pay for another Stephen Dobbie. But what are the long term benefits of keeping these people engaged? As more fans become younger and more tech savvy the demand has to increase surely? When will the rules change to allow live UK streaming of a midweek game in Dundee? You may not have time to get there but you could watch it at home or in the Bazaar!

It would be great for me if we were ahead of the game and got this set up now! But I appreciate there’s far more pressing issues and the stuff suggested in earlier posts is far more important. Maybe for clubs our size it’s more likely that there will be a deal signed by the SPFL for the whole championship and this is perhaps where guys like me should channel our energy. The smaller leagues in England have just done a similar deal.

11 hours ago, Steeplechat said:

Have Queens actually advertised that they are looking for someone to take over the match day twitter updates ?

The last time we did, there was one response from a guy wanting to know how much he would get paid.

16 minutes ago, BIGdavieT said:

It’s very easy to watch in the UK with a certain bit of software that has been discussed on here before.

More importantly, how many loyal Queens fans have moved away from Scotland over the last 20 years and just lost interest eventually because it’s pretty much impossible to watch a game live. Are all of that “young team” on the terrace going to live in Dumfries or even Scotland for the rest of their lives? Keeping these kind of people connected with the club is a long term way of helping the club. Not just through a small fee for the stream, but through keeping interest, merchandising etc. when a young Queens fan goes to uni in 10-15 years from now, he/she may not have the cash or time to travel to games but they will expect to be able to pay a few quid and watch it on their phone. Then instead of losing their interest as happens currently, we keep them engaged with the club and they start to put money back in in the future.

The clubs that are currently doing this at our level have in the region of 50-200 subscribers. Not gonna pay for another Stephen Dobbie. But what are the long term benefits of keeping these people engaged? As more fans become younger and more tech savvy the demand has to increase surely? When will the rules change to allow live UK streaming of a midweek game in Dundee? You may not have time to get there but you could watch it at home or in the Bazaar!

It would be great for me if we were ahead of the game and got this set up now! But I appreciate there’s far more pressing issues and the stuff suggested in earlier posts is far more important. Maybe for clubs our size it’s more likely that there will be a deal signed by the SPFL for the whole championship and this is perhaps where guys like me should channel our energy. The smaller leagues in England have just done a similar deal.

Im not saying we shouldnt engage more with fans, either those who've moved away or not. I just disagreed with your use of the phrase "aiming higher". If we had the kit and volunteers to live stream I'd be all for it. In fact, if I had the time on matchday I'd be looking into getting it setup.

I do have a couple of issues with your other points though. Yes, it is easy to watch streams in the UK, for those who know what they are doing. Its also very difficult for those who dont and there will be far, far more of them. The rules are pretty clear that broadcasts should be to those outside the UK. Theres no way you could base a business model on getting an extra xx subscribers in the UK who are circumventing the rules. At the moment, the rules dont say anything about how this should be policed or monitored but that could easily change, making it more difficult for UK fans to watch. I suspect it wont happen anytime soon though as I dont think anyone sees the numbers as being worth bothering about.

Which brings me to my next point - numbers. The teams at this level who stream matches have pretty significantly bigger fan bases than Queens. East Fife are a little below our level but they stream to 2 people. As I said, I think we'd be somewhere in between that and the lowest end of your numbers, even with UK based fans joining in. The idea that casual fans who move away from the town are going to jump through hoops to install VPNS etc just to watch a game live doesnt seem very likely to me.

Obviously, if the SPFL rules change to allow broadcasting within the UK the whole argument changes.

1 hour ago, BIGdavieT said:

Mr X has pretty much addressed this but, as frustrating as I'm sure it is to be abroad and unable to follow games with live pictures, the numbers simply don't stack up to produce it. It is illegal to watch in the UK, however easy it may or may not be. You can't base a business case on promoting something illegal, even if we could presume for a moment that there are dozens and dozens of potential UK based customers out there (I'm unconvinced to be honest - I would imagine most have better things to do on a Saturday afternoon if they aren't actually at the game and can't reach it). And if it really is all that easy to watch in the UK then you run the serious risk of actually costing ourselves money by discouraging the significant number of central belt fans (and potentially away fans also) from actually attending if they can just watch it live.

There's no point in comparing us to Partick Thistle, Falkirk and Dunfermline in terms of support size. We're not at that level. Do Hamilton, Ross County, Inverness, Livingston, Morton, Raith Rovers etc do it? Those clubs are closer in size level (I genuinely don't know, perhaps some of them do, some certainly are or have recently been Premiership with far greater incomes). It's been said before but as much as we are full time on the pitch, we're very much still a part time football club off of it.

Hopefully we'll get some increased actual tv coverage of the Championship in the near future which will help a little.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

I said this the last time this was brought up but as an Australian based fan I wouldn't be interested in watching games live. The time difference just makes it impossible.

Highlights are all I need and we've already got an excellent YouTube channel for that.

4 hours ago, Swarley said:

I said this the last time this was brought up but as an Australian based fan I wouldn't be interested in watching games live. The time difference just makes it impossible.

Highlights are all I need and we've already got an excellent YouTube channel for that.

I travel around an awful lot and attending Queens games is not always an option for me. I would subscribe for this every time I am abroad, I suppose not everyone can wait for the highlights :)

Im not saying we shouldnt engage more with fans, either those who've moved away or not. I just disagreed with your use of the phrase "aiming higher". If we had the kit and volunteers to live stream I'd be all for it. In fact, if I had the time on matchday I'd be looking into getting it setup.
I do have a couple of issues with your other points though. Yes, it is easy to watch streams in the UK, for those who know what they are doing. Its also very difficult for those who dont and there will be far, far more of them. The rules are pretty clear that broadcasts should be to those outside the UK. Theres no way you could base a business model on getting an extra xx subscribers in the UK who are circumventing the rules. At the moment, the rules dont say anything about how this should be policed or monitored but that could easily change, making it more difficult for UK fans to watch. I suspect it wont happen anytime soon though as I dont think anyone sees the numbers as being worth bothering about.
Which brings me to my next point - numbers. The teams at this level who stream matches have pretty significantly bigger fan bases than Queens. East Fife are a little below our level but they stream to 2 people. As I said, I think we'd be somewhere in between that and the lowest end of your numbers, even with UK based fans joining in. The idea that casual fans who move away from the town are going to jump through hoops to install VPNS etc just to watch a game live doesnt seem very likely to me.
Obviously, if the SPFL rules change to allow broadcasting within the UK the whole argument changes.

Why don’t you advertise that you’re looking for someone to take over the twitter account on match days ? You just never know you might strike lucky. As long as it’s not that ALBERTZ / RUSTY fruitcake :)

18 hours ago, Bluenortherner said:

I travel around an awful lot and attending Queens games is not always an option for me.

Likewise, but when I travel it's usually because I'm busy, so live 90 minutes would be useless for me. The highlights are great and having the goals only option is really handy if I'm tight for time.

18 minutes ago, Steeplechat said:

Why don’t you advertise that you’re looking for someone to take over the twitter account on match days ? You just never know you might strike lucky. As long as it’s not that ALBERTZ / RUSTY fruitcake :)

As I said the other day, the last time we advertised there was one response, from a guy wanting to know how much it paid.

There have been enquiries made around some universities and other places we thought there might be interest. As it turns out we now have someone who can, hopefully, cover some of the away games 

I've not updated this for a while. Good a time as any.

As at 21st September 2018:

1 - Jim Patterson, 251 goals in 462 appearances, 1949 - 1963
2 - Stephen Dobbie, 128 goals in 182 starts (18 sub) appearances, 2007 - 2009, 2016 - Current
3 - Bobby Black, 120 goals in 346 appearances, 1952 - 1961
4 - Derek Lyle, 117 goals in 269 starts (96 sub) appearancs, 2002 - 2004, 2004 - 2006 & 2012 - 2018
5 - Andy Thomson, 114 goal in 196 starts (35 sub) appearances, 1989 - 1994 & 2006 - 2007
6 - Jocky Dempster, 98 goals in 342 starts (13 sub) appearances, 1970 - 1979
7 - Tommy Bryce, 95 goals in 283 starts (14 sub) appearances, 1985 - 1987, 1994 - 1998 & 1999
8 - Stevie Mallan, 94 goals in 233 starts (32 sub) appearances, 1993 - 2000
9 - Tommy McCall, 93 goals in 264 appearances, 1925 - 1934
10 - Ian Reid, 89 goals in 192 starts (5 sub) appearances, 1973 - 1978
11 - Jimmy Robertson, 89 goals in 378 starts (22 sub) appearances, 1979 - 1987 & 1989 - 1993
12 - Jackie Oakes, 81 goals in 457 appearances, 1936 - 1947 & 1951 - 1960
13 - Iain McChesney, 79 goals in 587 starts (28 sub) appearances, 1961 - 1982
14 - Rowan Alexander, 78 goals in 165 starts (18 sub) appearances, 1978 - 1983 & 1995 - 1998
15 - Billy Houliston, 74 goals in 155 apearances, 1945 - 1952
16 - Jackie Law, 71 goals in 226 appearances, 1936 - 1948
17 - John O'Neill, 70 goals in 143 starts (52 sub) appearances, 2001 - 2003 & 2005 - 2008
18 - Lex Law, 68 goals in 316 starts (18 sub) appearances, 1964 - 1975
19 - Jimmy Rutherford, 66 goals in 65 appearances, 1930 - 1934
20 - Willie Dougan, 65 goals in 88 appearances, 1922 - 1925

Dobbie's remarkable scoring burst to start the season sees him comfortably into 2nd spot on our all time list after just over 4.5 seasons in total. He is now past the halfway mark to Jim Patterson who played for 14 years at a time when you could barge keepers into the net and games regularly finished 6-4. Of course, he's not going to catch Patterson. It would be a major bonus if he does another season after this one, but he's certainly setting a modern day target we won't see caught any time soon. A remarkable record.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

14 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Debbie's remarkable scoring burst to start the season sees him comfortably into 2nd spot on our all time list after just over 4.5 seasons in total. He is now past the halfway mark to Jim Patterson who played for 14 years at a time when there were no offsides, you could barge keepers into the net and games regularly finished 6-4. Of course, he's not going to catch Patterson. It would be a major bonus if he does another season after this one, but he's certainly setting a modern day target we won't see caught any time soon. A remarkable record.

When was this?