The Queen of the South thread

54 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:
1 hour ago, Mr X said:
Im not sure the trust are up for running journalism courses emoji6.png 

No but could they help make it role they contribute too whether in terms of personnal or funding?

Personally, I would have said the trust have better things to fund. As SD said, any volunteer really needs to be someone who regularly attends away games, being a member of the trust isnt really going to make any difference

1 hour ago, Bluenortherner said:

I have to agree, magnificent Twitter coverage indeed, absolutely magnificent!

I guess it's the frustration of not knowing what is happening at games is just getting to me a wee bit. Come on somebody, please volunteer!

But as has already been pointed out its absolutely no problem to find out what's happening at games. Both Sky Sports and the BBC had running text commentaries on Saturday. I was checking the Sky one for timings whilst watching the game! 

You are having a go at the club and one specific volunteer in particular because the club itself isnt providing you with something you can get easily and free in at least two other places.

Having seen Ross County on Saturday it reinforces the view that this Championship is wide open and extremely winnable. RC were a decent side but lacked flair up front and while that was only one match I can’t see them being runaway leaders.

When you then analyse the other protagonists the plot thickens :-

ICT - clearly better than last year but nothing is suggesting that they are certain stayers in the title race

DUFC - clearly a club of this size have to be respected but so long as Csaba’s services are retained there are huge question marks about them

Morton - certainly have a chance. Decent squad and will have to wait and see how new manager settles in

Ayr - I actually think they are a decent side despite the mauling they got from us. I wouldn’t necessarily rule them out

Partick- struggling with a “feel bad” factor after a disastrous relegation and have lost several key players. Definitely contenders but nothing to suggest that they are going to come out of the pack and dominate

Dunfermline - no shortage of personnel but not firing at present - that may change but not sure that the replacements are as good as the players who left

Falkirk - if Ray McKinnon can turn them round he will be heralded as a truly great manager at this level but the Xmas Window will have to be brilliant

Alloa - will compete hard and may avoid bottom spot or even 9th

QOS - from what I have seen we have more game changers than anybody else. On this form Dobbie, Dykes, Harkins, Stirling and Todd would walk into most,if not all other teams. Our defence looks as though it is improving but it is early days. Ignoring budgets and size of club for a minute- is there any logical reason why Bet Victor have us at 33/1 to win league - ranked in 8th place in the pecking order?
Certainly the Odds Compilers must be watching different games to me.

The big unknown factor for us - what is the mental strength in the dressing room? Do the players and Management believe or are they happy to aim for a distant 4th place. They certainly shouldn’t be.

Next two games will tell us a lot but there is no doubt in my mind that a huge opportunity exists for us this season. Incidentally I tried to top up my QOS league bet with Victor last night and they rejected my additional £100 and said that I could have £10 on it........

History has shown that it is a foolhardy occupation to get too optimistic about Queens but other minnows deliver from time to time and I will seriously disappointed if we do not mount a serious challenge.

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Having seen Ross County on Saturday it reinforces the view that this Championship is wide open and extremely winnable. RC were a decent side but lacked flair up front and while that was only one match I can’t see them being runaway leaders.

When you then analyse the other protagonists the plot thickens :-

ICT - clearly better than last year but nothing is suggesting that they are certain stayers in the title race

DUFC - clearly a club of this size have to be respected but so long as Csaba’s services are retained there are huge question marks about them

Morton - certainly have a chance. Decent squad and will have to wait and see how new manager settles in

Ayr - I actually think they are a decent side despite the mauling they got from us. I wouldn’t necessarily rule them out

Partick- struggling with a “feel bad” factor after a disastrous relegation and have lost several key players. Definitely contenders but nothing to suggest that they are going to come out of the pack and dominate

Dunfermline - no shortage of personnel but not firing at present - that may change but not sure that the replacements are as good as the players who left

Falkirk - if Ray McKinnon can turn them round he will be heralded as a truly great manager at this level but the Xmas Window will have to be brilliant

Alloa - will compete hard and may avoid bottom spot or even 9th

QOS - from what I have seen we have more game changers than anybody else. On this form Dobbie, Dykes, Harkins, Stirling and Todd would walk into most,if not all other teams. Our defence looks as though it is improving but it is early days. Ignoring budgets and size of club for a minute- is there any logical reason why Bet Victor have us at 33/1 to win league - ranked in 8th place in the pecking order?
Certainly the Odds Compilers must be watching different games to me.

The big unknown factor for us - what is the mental strength in the dressing room? Do the players and Management believe or are they happy to aim for a distant 4th place. They certainly shouldn’t be.

Next two games will tell us a lot but there is no doubt in my mind that a huge opportunity exists for us this season. Incidentally I tried to top up my QOS league bet with Victor last night and they rejected my additional £100 and said that I could have £10 on it........

History has shown that it is a foolhardy occupation to get too optimistic about Queens but other minnows deliver from time to time and I will seriously disappointed if we do not mount a serious challenge.

I wouldnt disagree with your analysis. However, I dont think the last few games have told us anything we didnt already know - on its day our first 11 is as good as anyones but the squad is paper thin. We might mount a challenge, or we might lose a key player for a few weeks and fade away. Its been a really good start and, hopefully, we can keep the momentum of results going but, as the league is so open, a couple of defeats and we fall back into the pack.

Given the size of squad I would have said the playoffs is a realistic target. A title challenge would be nice and its not beyond us but I dont see how anyone would be "seriously disappointed" if we dont mount one, particularly as its so early in the season. ICT, County, Partick and United all have the resources to strengthen significantly in January, for example.

3 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Are they? They've clearly not made the sort of honking start they made last year so are likely to be competitive. Not sure they are better than the side that finished last season like a train though? I haven't seen them, just going by the comments from their own fans. They've beaten horribly out of form Falkirk, Partick and Dunfermline sides and drawn with Ayr and Alloa at home (and Ayr had 10 men for an hour).

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

I wouldnt disagree with your analysis. However, I dont think the last few games have told us anything we didnt already know - on its day our first 11 is as good as anyones but the squad is paper thin. We might mount a challenge, or we might lose a key player for a few weeks and fade away. Its been a really good start and, hopefully, we can keep the momentum of results going but, as the league is so open, a couple of defeats and we fall back into the pack.

Given the size of squad I would have said the playoffs is a realistic target. A title challenge would be nice and its not beyond us but I dont see how anyone would be "seriously disappointed" if we dont mount one, particularly as its so early in the season. ICT, County, Partick and United all have the resources to strengthen significantly in January, for example.

It's not really "paper thin" now. It could be stronger certainly but the addition of Frizzell and Norman and the impending return of Fordyce will leave us with a reasonably decent bench. Clearly the loss of Dobbie or Dykes (and maybe Harkins) for a significant period would kill us as it would anyone. Otherwise I'm optimistic we'd cope ok though.

I do agree though, it's far too early to suggest we should be "seriously disappointed" not to make a challenge.

When was the last time we made a serious challenge for the 2nd tier league title? And we’ve not actually been in the top league since 1964. That might explain why the bookies have us at long odds and why there is a lack of belief amongst the fans. Not disagreeing with the point that we have a decent first 11, but it might take a wee while before there is an increase in belief amongst the fans after nearly 55 years of hurt.  Rather than being seriously disappointed if we don’t mount a challenge, I think most people will be happily surprised if we do.

Saying that, I understand the view that we should try to shake off the wee team mentality that sees staying in this league as success and winning the Diddy Cup as something to be aimed for at all costs.

43 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Are they? They've clearly not made the sort of honking start they made last year so are likely to be competitive. Not sure they are better than the side that finished last season like a train though? I haven't seen them, just going by the comments from their own fans. They've beaten horribly out of form Falkirk, Partick and Dunfermline sides and drawn with Ayr and Alloa at home (and Ayr had 10 men for an hour).

It's not really "paper thin" now. It could be stronger certainly but the addition of Frizzell and Norman and the impending return of Fordyce will leave us with a reasonably decent bench. Clearly the loss of Dobbie or Dykes (and maybe Harkins) for a significant period would kill us as it would anyone. Otherwise I'm optimistic we'd cope ok though.

I do agree though, it's far too early to suggest we should be "seriously disappointed" not to make a challenge.

Cardboard thin? 

I don't think my view of things has changed too much from my pre-season assumptions except we have probably done slightly better than I expected, but then it is in my nature to err on the side of caution when it comes to Queens.  You end up less disappointed that way.  I think we all knew we'd be pleasing on the eye with Dobbie, Harkins and Todd in the side.  The turnaround in Stirling has been an unexpected revelation, as has the improved defensive solidity.  We still look hugely vulnerable to injuries but I suppose most teams can make that argument.

The tightness of the league could work in our favour, as a less fancied team we could take advantage of the other more fancied teams cutting each other's throats.  Equally though, if we go on some of the pointless runs we have seen in previous seasons we could easily drop from a strong position to a weak one in a matter of weeks.

The January window could be huge this season.  For ourselves we could potentially be looking at being down four players when Semple, Frizzell and Norman return to their parent clubs and if the rumoured interest in Dykes becomes reality.  I'm sure they will be replaced but there is no guarantee they will be of a similar quality.  Whilst we may be weakened, some of our opponents will likely strengthen if they aren't where they would like to be in the table.

43 minutes ago, Flash said:

When was the last time we made a serious challenge for the 2nd tier league title? And we’ve not actually been in the top league since 1964. That might explain why the bookies have us at long odds and why there is a lack of belief amongst the fans. Not disagreeing with the point that we have a decent first 11, but it might take a wee while before there is an increase in belief amongst the fans after nearly 55 years of hurt.  Rather than being seriously disappointed if we don’t mount a challenge, I think most people will be happily surprised if we do.

Saying that, I understand the view that we should try to shake off the wee team mentality that sees staying in this league as success and winning the Diddy Cup as something to be aimed for at all costs.

Unfortunately I don't  think we have a chance of shaking off the "wee team mentality" unless there is serious financial input and we can give a Manager a decent length of time (3 or 4 years at least)    to gradually  assemble a squad capable of mounting a serious challenge. In the meantime I would say aiming for 4th spot and hopefully a bit of luck in the play-offs is where we are at,  coupled with a good run in the various cups to keep the fans interested.  If fans can see a gradual increase in the quality of players coming in and a decent squad being built it should sustain their interest,  but this season,  or up til now anyway,  we are relying on our first 11 staying clear of injury/suspensions because there is a lack of experiernce,  ability and numbers as back-up. 

As I said earlier every one of our rivals has potential negatives as well. Arguably the things that you need above all else to win things in a sporting context are ambition and self belief. If you combine those ingredients with talent and ability it is a very potent combination.

We have more talent in our ranks than we have had for a very long time ...........the big imponderable is do the management and players have the same sort of desire and hunger than Livvy had last season with a “paper or cardboard” thin squad.

Having witnessed 50+ years of “hurt” clearly it would come as no major surprise for us to drift into mid table mediocrity (or worse) but ultimately you need some “luck in running “ and primarily the players need to break through the “glass ceiling” and really believe. I sense that we have a great team spirit but the next two games will be revealing.

For the avoidance of doubt I am not asking Skyline or anybody else to be seriously disappointed but I am merely expressing a personal view..............and that is that I will be disappointed if do we not mount a serious challenge - and to be honest so should the players.

We have 4 Directors at Palmerston who are trying their upmost to balance the books. They have the help of a volunteer who looks after account too.
Was there not a friend of Calvin Harris posting on here saying that he was going to do something for Queens financially?

3 Directors

Unfortunately, more unlikely now as theres no journalism students based in Dumfries, as far as I know

To my knowledge there are none. I’m studying Journalism at Robert Gordon in Aberdeen and would love to help but can’t commit to going to all the time due to finances. In saying that, I’ll be at Partick on Saturday and likely Inverness and Ross County away. I’d absolutely love to help out but can’t commit to every week.

41 minutes ago, Bluenortherner said:

We have 4 Directors at Palmerston who are trying their upmost to balance the books. They have the help of a volunteer who looks after account too.

Was there not a friend of Calvin Harris posting on here saying that he was going to do something for Queens financially?

That would be very welcome. 

8 minutes ago, QoS_Blue1919 said:

To my knowledge there are none. I’m studying Journalism at Robert Gordon in Aberdeen and would love to help but can’t commit to going to all the time due to finances. In saying that, I’ll be at Partick on Saturday and likely Inverness and Ross County away. I’d absolutely love to help out but can’t commit to every week.

Some weeks would be better than no weeks. If you are interested then drop Mr X a PM to discuss whats involved and how it works.

13 minutes ago, QoS_Blue1919 said:

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

Some weeks would be better than no weeks. If you are interested then drop Mr X a PM to discuss whats involved and how it works.

Beat me to it

Good effort im sure it will be appreciated greatly by all.

Of course Twitter updates are good and should be encouraged but match details are already available from Sportsound “Open all Mics,” bbc and sky. we should be aiming higher and have a long term goal of providing video streams of matches for all exiled Doonhamers.

As I have said before, I can now sit in My living room in Dubai with a beer and watch us live v Falkirk, Dunfermline and Partick.

Are there any media students who are currently Queens fans?!

I currently have a season ticket which barely gets used. I hope to be back in Scotland in the next 2-3 years and I hope I can perhaps get a live QOSTV going as a volunteer when I return.

Unfortunately I don't  think we have a chance of shaking off the "wee team mentality" however coupled with a good run in the various cups we might keep the fans interested.

And there lies the problem to why Doonhamers have so much apathy towards our club. As for the cups, no one really cares about them like they used to in the olden days when we could expect our biggest crowds of the season.

But if you do decide to help out make sure it's minute-by-minute updates. Even if it's a 0-0 game with 3 shots on target the entire game, make sure you give some sort of update for goodness sake. People have to know what's happening even if what is happening is f**k all!