The Queen of the South thread

For all we lost three goals yesterday, unless you are in the camp that wants to say the penalty was Doyle's fault, they were nothing directly to do with the centre backs. The first and third were individual errors from Jacobs and Mercer.

Not that it excuses it, but its not really evidence to use in a debate about the relative merits of this years centre backs v last years.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

For all we lost three goals yesterday, unless you are in the camp that wants to say the penalty was Doyle's fault, they were nothing directly to do with the centre backs. The first and third were individual errors from Jacobs and Mercer.
Not that it excuses it, but its not really evidence to use in a debate about the relative merits of this years centre backs v last years.
Yeah I have to agree here. We never covered ourselves in glory for the first even after Jacobs' balls up (even though I thought he was fouled) but the penalty and Mercer's balls up were just very unfortunate. I'm more forgiving of losing those kind of goals* than I am of us losing goals due to poor marking or bad positioning.

* Unless the player was making a hash of it on a regular basis.

56 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Can’t speak for anybody else, but I thought the debate was about the whole defence, including those that were here last season, and whether or not it had improved. I accept, though, that we should maybe be talking about the defending.

9 hours ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

Cant we discuss the defensive stats once we have at least completed the first quarter of the league campaign. Without all the data with which to make comparasson with, we are all unfortunatly pissing in the wind.

By that logic, we'd better not discuss any of the positives, like the transformation in Dykes' contribution either, until a similar period has elapsed.

Very strange thread considering the very positive start to the Season.

is a far cry from many who predicted carnage and the so called experts putting us down to the bottom 2 or 3 in the table.

yes yes it’s early days, but let’s look as though we are enjoying it.

Saturday really will be a marker for us, hopefully we’ll prove Saturdays goals against we’re just a blip. We’ve looked relatively solid against Falkirk and Ayr.

I really think we’re onto something with the formation, we’ve generally good balance about the side as well, and although brief cameo from both i thought Frizzell and Norman look to have something. With fordyce hopefully not far away he’ll have to settle for the bench for me, Doyle and Semple by and large have been impressive together, but as I say Saturday coming will be a big test for them, and the rest of the team.

Very strange thread considering the very positive start to the Season.
is a far cry from many who predicted carnage and the so called experts putting us down to the bottom 2 or 3 in the table.
yes yes it’s early days, but let’s look as though we are enjoying it.
I think most people have accepted our starting 11 is more than a match for anyone in the league (6-0 drubbing off Ross County incoming) but our lack of depth is going to be what hinders us as the season goes on. If we had 3 or 4 quality players on the bench I reckon we'd definitely push for a play-off spot. As it stands, I still think we'll be nearer the bottom unless we miraculously avoid injuries for the whole season.

By that logic, we'd better not discuss any of the positives, like the transformation in Dykes' contribution either, until a similar period has elapsed.
Just agree with Flash is all thats its very early to predict the improvement or not, in defence. Its hard anyway as its new teams and new defensive partnership this season. Im not stopping anyone discussing it but would it not be easier when we have hit a season marker.

I think most people have accepted our starting 11 is more than a match for anyone in the league (6-0 drubbing off Ross County incoming) but our lack of depth is going to be what hinders us as the season goes on. If we had 3 or 4 quality players on the bench I reckon we'd definitely push for a play-off spot. As it stands, I still think we'll be nearer the bottom unless we miraculously avoid injuries for the whole season.

There’s no doubt GN is gambling and I think he even said so himself.

So far it’s paying off but it’s very early days! It’s almost certain that Forzell and Norman will play significant roles so initially we’ll need to hope that they do well.

Avoid an injury crisis, and/or get one or two of the youngsters playing well and we could be onto something.

Get to January in or around the playoffs and maybe the board will consider making a move/lone move or two to strengthen.

But I think to have any chance we’ll need to have a blinder first quarter and then try to hold on as the season goes on...

1 hour ago, BIGdavieT said:

So far it’s paying off but it’s very early days! It’s almost certain that Forzell and Norman will play significant roles so initially we’ll need to hope that they do well.

Avoid an injury crisis, and/or get one or two of the youngsters playing well and we could be onto something.

Get to January in or around the playoffs and maybe the board will consider making a move/lone move or two to strengthen.

But I think to have any chance we’ll need to have a blinder first quarter and then try to hold on as the season goes on...

1 hour ago, BIGdavieT said:

I agree with the manager that the second half performance overshadows the fact that we won the game.  Must have been a great view for neutral supporters but a strugle for both sets of supporters. The Crusader fans I spoke to blamed the defeat on their keeper having  a rush of blood to the head for our first goal. I look on the positive and our keepers performance was his best so far. Long may that continue and our defense, who look stronger every game, are getting accustomed to his style. Dykes continues to improve and I hope we keep with the same players for the Ross County match. Another 2 goals for Dobbie and a fine first half for Harkins although I think  Harkins is at the stage in his career where around an hour is enough. Dobbie can last longer as he does not need to get about the pitch as much. I am not a great fan of stats apart from shots on target. I'm more excited by enthusiasm, character and shape and our squad deliver on all these points. Lets just eliminate silly mistakes and stop throwing our throws to the opposition. 

On 9/4/2018 at 13:52, KingfaetheSooth said:

Do Scottish clubs require International clearance when registering new/loan players from abroad with the SFA? If so, imagine that this can be a bit time consuming and laborious to arrange, especially with smaller foreign associations.  Is there any difference to signing the young lad from Vancouver Whitecaps due to his Scottish father and background?

Bugbear of mine, after AFC Wimbledon have twice fallen foul of the rules with the English FA having been deducted points for the above. 

7 hours ago, kleinfaethetoon said:

Looks like Jimmy Millar wearing No2

Looks like Jim Donald (off the pitch between the nets), Billy McLaren,  Crawford Boyd and Jimmy Miller (obviously Allan Ball in goals).  September 27th 1975

Edited by JessieField
Finishing comment with date.

26 minutes ago, doonhamer64 said:

Are the non Scottish teams going to be kept apart again in the Irn Bru Cup second round draw?  They've all been given the low numbers which kind of points towards that.

No. Regulation 4.15 shows open draw from 3rd round onwards. 

https://spfl.co.uk/admin/filemanager/images/shares/pdfs/Challenge Cup Regulations 2018-19.pdf

13 minutes ago, JessieField said:

Queens away to East Fife.

In the Irn Bru Cup. We won a friendly in July   against them, so we should have a good chance to progress PROVIDED we don't think it's a foregone win and are complacent. We all saw in the second half on Saturday what happens when you think it's easy.