The Queen of the South thread

Frizzel seems like the exact player we need. Our first XI picks itself at the minute, but it might make Dykes/Stirling kick on, albein Stirling really has already kicked on past couple of games. If he’s fast, agile and good with the ball at his feet he’d be a top class impact sub even if he doesn’t start

2 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

I hope that signifies that there are more to follow because that is the area of the pitch we least need cover.

:unsure2:

We have two attackers currently at the club (as outstanding as they are) and an 18 year old with one senior start to his name as their only cover. I don't see how that's possibly the "area of the pitch we least need cover".

23 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

We have two attackers currently at the club (as outstanding as they are) and an 18 year old with one senior start to his name as their only cover. I don't see how that's possibly the "area of the pitch we least need cover".

I assume he means if Frizzell is a winger we have Dykes, Stirling, Todd and Murray who can all play there?

11 minutes ago, spacekid84 said:

I assume he means if Frizzell is a winger we have Dykes, Stirling, Todd and Murray who can all play there?

And Harkins, whos started the last two games wide.

ETA - presumably, Frizzell has been brought in to play up front

Edited by Mr X

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

His description makes him sound like another Stirling/Murray/Todd.

If he is more in the mould of Chris Kane then fair enough that’s exactly what we need.

Edit to add:

This article on the Killie OS describes him as a midfielder.  http://www.kilmarnockfc.co.uk/Article?id=7627

Edited by palmy_cammy

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Also because in the aftermath of the Falkirk game the manager said hed look to bring in defensive cover and clearly hes not a defender so hopefully this is still the case.

The way we’ve been shaping up in a 4-2-3-1 suits Frizzell. He could play as any of the 3 and arguably the one up top. Todd, although naturally a winger, is getting used centrally more which suits him. Frizzell is exactly the player we needed, just a centre half now and we should be okay

43 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

His description makes him sound like another Stirling/Murray/Todd.

If he is more in the mould of Chris Kane then fair enough that’s exactly what we need.

Edit to add:

This article on the Killie OS describes him as a midfielder.  http://www.kilmarnockfc.co.uk/Article?id=7627

I don't think he's a Chris Kane but he was described to me as an attacking player who can also play wide. Presumably he could cover a forward position if need be. At the very least he's another positive option. We've only had Connor Murray and Declan Tremble sitting on the bench all season who would provide an attacking change. It gives us another option.

7 minutes ago, football maniac said:

Also because in the aftermath of the Falkirk game the manager said hed look to bring in defensive cover and clearly hes not a defender so hopefully this is still the case.

Did he? I've missed that then but it doesn't change my opinion we much more needed cover in attack than at the back. I don't think we're all that short at the back. Our back four at the moment is fine. Fordyce isn't dead, he'll hopefully be back sometime in October. Harvey, Gourlay and Exley can contribute if need be. Jacobs can drop back into the back line in an emergency. With luck Brownlie will be back sometime in the New Year. In a perfect world we'd have another defensive player or two but with a limited budget an attacking option was far more important for me.

Anyway, still nearly 10 hours to go. Plenty might change between now and midnight. Or it might not.

Dobbie and Dykes are our only recognised strikers.

One of our first choice centre-halves was injured before a ball was kicked.  The other is now out medium-to-long term.  The player we signed to play right-back is playing at centre half whilst allegedly carrying an injury.  Also Naysmith mentioned in his interview after the Falkirk game that he was trying to sign a defender.

Whilst Frizzell's signing is welcome, I don't think it is unfair to be surprised by it given our other more obvious weaknesses and considering we were led to believe we wouldn't be making any more signings.

As I said, hopefully there are more to follow.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I don't think he's a Chris Kane but he was described to me as an attacking player who can also play wide. Presumably he could cover a forward position if need be. At the very least he's another positive option. We've only had Connor Murray and Declan Tremble sitting on the bench all season who would provide an attacking change. It gives us another option.

Did he? I've missed that then but it doesn't change my opinion we much more needed cover in attack than at the back. I don't think we're all that short at the back. Our back four at the moment is fine. Fordyce isn't dead, he'll hopefully be back sometime in October. Harvey, Gourlay and Exley can contribute if need be. Jacobs can drop back into the back line in an emergency. With luck Brownlie will be back sometime in the New Year. In a perfect world we'd have another defensive player or two but with a limited budget an attacking option was far more important for me.

Anyway, still nearly 10 hours to go. Plenty might change between now and midnight. Or it might not.

We surely have to sign a defender with both Brownlur and Fordyce out .

Naysmith said it after the Falkirk game that he hoped to get a defender in  said that if Semple got injured then we would not have any cover .

We are already playing a right back at centre half.

2 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

Dobbie and Dykes are our only recognised strikers.

One of our first choice centre-halves was injured before a ball was kicked.  The other is now out medium-to-long term.  The player we signed to play right-back is playing at centre half whilst allegedly carrying an injury.  Also Naysmith mentioned in his interview after the Falkirk game that he was trying to sign a defender.

Whilst Frizzell's signing is welcome, I don't think it is unfair to be surprised by it given our other more obvious weaknesses and considering we were led to believe we wouldn't be making any more signings.

As I said, hopefully there are more to follow.

Not quite sure Fordyce has any where near a long term injury. 6 to 8 weeks. Which 2 have passed.

Doyle may well be a RB but is playing very well next to Semple. Which is a bonus.

based on the Falkirk game adding Frizzell and Fordyce in a few weeks makes things look better already.

yes another defender as cover would be great but if there is no money then let’s be positive.