The Queen of the South thread

Dykes has been excellent in the majority of games this season. I've made no secret that he wasn't my favourite player. It was never his ability though, it was his attitude. Too many times last season it looked like he couldn't be bothered. I've not seen that this season. He's going for every header and his work-rate is absolutely excellent. He's scoring goals (which doesn't surprise me, as like I say, his ability wasn't my issue) and his technical ability seems to be getting better. We NEED to continue with him and Dobbs next to each other. There was a lovely wee chip Dykes did yesterday to set up Dobbs when he had two players around him. It likely got missed but it was great play.

It's very telling when Dobbie, Harkins and him link up that Dykes doesn't look out of his depth.

10 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Just wondered if you were at the game today. Dykes was excellent, his selfless work and link play being a real factor in a great team performance today. 

The amount of running Dykes does off the ball is amazing. Several time he will be central and make a run in behind the full back where Mercer /Marshall will have played the ball into space. He occupies defenders and his running creates space for Dobbie.

When is Scotland's next game? If you want goals get Sir Stephen in the team.

They were actually discussing this on the Sportscene results show yesterday.

Obviously not now, but McFadden and Steven Thompson were in agreement that he should have been involved during his time down south.

Faddy was singing his praises, saying he was an example to young players that being at a club where you are enjoying your football can’t be overstated.

16 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

They were actually discussing this on the Sportscene results show yesterday.

Obviously not now, but McFadden and Steven Thompson were in agreement that he should have been involved during his time down south.

Faddy was singing his praises, saying he was an example to young players that being at a club where you are enjoying your football can’t be overstated.

It was unfortunate that his peak years came during the Craig Levein era.

On 25/08/2018 at 14:02, Skyline Drifter said:

History will show Rankin was a season too far last year. He was very disappointing. But when he came in the year before he was exactly what we needed at the time.

Rankin has found his level now .

Can't complain about the football this week so will moan about other things .

The Portland Road end turnstyle why is it never open .

Many fans complain that they buy tickets at that side of the ground but have to walk round to gain entry to the Portland Road end .

The clock is it going to get sorted many fans and even players miss it not working .

Thought we had a Queens fan who can sort clocks surely the likes of the Queens trust could pay to get it sorted .

Why did Dobbie only score 3 goals when he had 9 chances still Dobbie looks a decent player !!!.

Been a good weekend this me a happy man amazing !!!!!

3 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Many fans complain that they buy tickets at that side of the ground but have to walk round to gain entry to the Portland Road end .

The clock is it going to get sorted many fans and even players miss it not working .

Thought we had a Queens fan who can sort clocks surely the likes of the Queens trust could pay to get it sorted .

Why did Dobbie only score 3 goals when he had 9 chances still Dobbie looks a decent player !!!.

So even when you are happy you still come on to complain about stuff.  Good work. 

21 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Hope the Queens fans come out in force on Sat as am sure they'll be a big Ayr following heading to Dumfries. 

Would love to see over 2000 in Palmy on Sat but sadly even after a great win we will still have our normal loyal 1200 off fans backed up with a good away support from Ayr . 

1800 odd to see 2 of the best strikers in Scotland !!! , ,no wonder we have no money to get players in 

Can't complain about the football yet complaining dobbie didn't score enough goals or didn't convert enough chances.

Would love to see over 2000 in Palmy on Sat but sadly even after a great win we will still have our normal loyal 1200 off fans backed up with a good away support from Ayr . 
1800 odd to see 2 of the best strikers in Scotland !!! , ,no wonder we have no money to get players in 
Will you be in attendance?

Me and the family are up the road for this. Really looking forward to it. 1500 at the game based on the festival likely pinching many regulars, as someone already eluded too on match thread.

I think we will have around 1000 travelling, we took 700 to firhill in the Betfred cup. With our form just now and Queens being a bit of a Derby this year I would hope we could add a few hundred to those that travelled to Firhill.

3 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

At games with smaller crowds,  if you buy your ticket at the East Stand ticket booth you go in at the Stand turnstiles and through the door to the terracing, you don't need to walk to the other side of the ground. I've never heard any fans that buy their ticket there complaining of having to walk round the ground, they seem to know how to get in.(apart from you). Higher risk games (or bigger crowds)  may mean stewards stopping access to the terracing this way,  but in that case I would expect the Portland turnstiles to be operating. 

I've asked on here before if the clock is the responsibility of the Club as I thought it was part of an advertisement boarding so was the advertiser's responsibility.  I have not had this clarified but as I usually stand in he covered terracing I can't see it so don't actually give a flying duck if it works or not.  Most normal people have watches or phones that show the time if they are that bothered, or if not, they could ask someone. 

As for your point about Dobbie,  I assume your taking the wee-wee. 

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

We saw on Saturday that when you have a real nucleus of "ball players" who play with a positive attacking outlook and perform with the intention of dominating the proceedings it is more than likely that you will swing the probability of success heavily in your favour.

What I saw at Falkirk was two completely contrasting styles- Falkirk packed with big strong physical types allied to a lack of technical skill. Queens on the other hand looked to pass the ball constructively with Todd, Harkins, Dykes, Stirling and Dobbie constantly looking for these
triangles and "give and goes". Players who can dribble at pace are a rare commodity and we have 4 players who can do that.

Falkirk were absolutely dead on their feet with 20 minutes to go and it was in that period that we were creating chance after chance at will. The point is that we have to take the positives from this outstanding display and stop conceding territory and possession to teams that are technically inferior to us. I would strongly contend that with those players on the pitch we have the most skilful forwards in the league and we have to adapt to these strengths. These players want to be on the ball dictating play not retreating deep and shadowing holding midfielders. Of course they have to be diligent defensively but our strengths are offensive and that is where we will unlock success.

I acknowledge that Falkirk were extremely poor and their performance is not typical of what you expect to face in the Championship but we caused their bad performance. We have seldom seen our away fans enjoy a performance as much as Saturday so that is another reason to really develop a style particularly at home to get some of the stay away supporters back in the fold.

It is a shame that money is so tight because if we had another 3/4 strong squad players who could compete for a starting slot we would be capable of challenging very strongly in top 3 assuming of course that the philosophy is one of attack and positivity.

13 hours ago, Buckfast said:

I think we will have around 1000 travelling, we took 700 to firhill in the Betfred cup. With our form just now and Queens being a bit of a Derby this year I would hope we could add a few hundred to those that travelled to Firhill.

Doubt we'll have near 1000. Will be a good crowd not quite that good.

Would be very happy to be proved wrong