The Queen of the South thread

16 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

I’ve no idea the inner workings of a football club but I’d imagine the manager was given a budget and then free reign to do what he pleases with it. And rightly so, it isn’t really the board’s call who we sign, or how many as long as he stays in budget. We probably could have got 3 or 4 “Scott Mercers” for Todd and Harkin’s wages but he has opted for quality over quantity. If the budget is gone we can’t magic up more money from thin air. Disappointing though it is, you can’t argue that it is astute running of the club.

I think it’s pretty telling that the manager hasn’t made any complaints about his squad. Not publicly anyway. He’s in his last year of his contract and the board have probably told him “you’ve made your bed, now lie in it. If you earn us money in the cups you can have more players.”

In a time when a lot of clubs are cutting back or completely killing off their youth system I’d imagine another thing that the board have consider is, “we’re paying for this youth system, lets use it”. Again hard to argue with.

No denying it’s a significant gamble. They must also be assuming we’d likely beat any part timers from the league below in the playoffs. Or worst case scenario, bounce straight back if we went down again.

At least he didn't squander any of the budget on a John Rankin type.   Maybe he had learned something in the past couple of seasons. 

43 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

At least he didn't squander any of the budget on a John Rankin type.   Maybe he had learned something in the past couple of seasons. 

History will show Rankin was a season too far last year. He was very disappointing. But when he came in the year before he was exactly what we needed at the time.

So lets begin the "all hail Sir Stephen love in"

Not only has he achieved Queens 2nd highest goal scorer of all time, he is also Scotland's current highest goal scorer this season and is now the joint 4th all time goal scorer in the current format of the Championship. 

Championship All time Top Goal Scorers

Jason Cummings 55

Derek Lyle 51

John Baird 48

Sir Stephen/James Keatings 41

Nicky Clark 40 

Club Legend

Getting away from Dobbie-mania just for a second. 

Obviously today Falkirk were every bit as bad as their supporters warned us they were but we still had to live up to our side of the bargain, and it sounds like we did with aplomb.  Looking at Dundee United's results since we kick started their season perhaps they aren't quite as bad as was foretold.  Whilst it was still a missed opportunity it perhaps wasn't the bottle job we thought at the time.  Morton are motoring along nicely so the draw at Cappielow rates as a decent result.

I'm not jumping to any conclusions after 3 games but when you factor in the improved performance in the League Cup it has been a good start to the season.

You guys were tremendous today. Dobbie should have hit 6.  Dykes plays really well alongside Dobbie running into space. Todd opens up defences with his passing and Harkins and Stirling just love taking the piss of inadequate defenders. 

you'll comfortably be in the play offs this season while Falkirk will we touring shitty stadiums next season in division 1.

7 minutes ago, JustLuvinThepian said:

You guys were tremendous today. Dobbie should have hit 6.  Dykes plays really well alongside Dobbie running into space. Todd opens up defences with his passing and Harkins and Stirling just love taking the piss of inadequate defenders. 

you'll comfortably be in the play offs this season while Falkirk will we touring shitty stadiums next season in division 1.

I wasn`t sure about the merit of playing Todd centrally as it means Harkins parked out wide but Todd was super today. Neat and tidy in possession, really grafted and played some great passes. TBH I can`t see us making the play-offs as we just don`t have the depth of squad. Our first 11 is worth a watch though.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

5 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I wasn`t sure about the merit of playing Todd centrally as it means Harkins parked out wide but Todd was super today. Neat and tidy in possession, really grafted and played some great passes. TBH I can`t see us making the play-offs as we just don`t have the depth of squad. Our first 11 is worth a watch though.

Yes, it's terribly easy to get carried away, but we must bear in mind that our age old rivalry with Falkirk is currently  hideously imbalanced.

2 hours ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

So lets begin the "all hail Sir Stephen love in"

Not only has he achieved Queens 2nd highest goal scorer of all time, he is also Scotland's current highest goal scorer this season and is now the joint 4th all time goal scorer in the current format of the Championship. 

Championship All time Top Goal Scorers

Jason Cummings 55

Derek Lyle 51

John Baird 48

Sir Stephen/James Keatings 41

Nicky Clark 40 

Club Legend

Remarkable that four of those five have passed through Palmerston.

On 8/24/2018 at 13:19, Come on queens said:

I believe we couldn’t afford the contributions to bring zanatta in. 

On 8/24/2018 at 14:28, Come on queens said:

Gary, dougie and Eddie are registering as players and are on the bench :)

Clearly ITK. :rolleyes:

Going by Gary Naysmith's interview after today's game he is hopeful of getting another centre half in on loan before window closes any other players would be a real bonus. 

The team has started the season well really hope the board backs the manger and the rest of the players with additional players to help them thru to Jan.. 

Looks like we are signing a defender  on loan.

We just can't go with 4 defenders and hope none get injured.

Did see Naysmith suggesting in his interview about speaking to the chairman before the window shut. Ideally a back up attacker would do incase of injury to god.

On 23/08/2018 at 08:20, Weewull said:

If you went to Palmerston every home game you would not have the opinion that dykes is an asset to the team

Just wondered if you were at the game today. Dykes was excellent, his selfless work and link play being a real factor in a great team performance today.