The Queen of the South thread

After only 2 league games and we’re struggling with injuries already.
Is there a real chance we face a relegation dogfight if we don’t strengthen our squad ?
I expected us to be down near the bottom before a ball was kicked tbh. Did folk genuinely believe we'd be nearer the top with our lack of depth?

I expected us to be down near the bottom before a ball was kicked tbh. Did folk genuinely believe we'd be nearer the top with our lack of depth?

I think most of us didn’t think our squad would be so small.
Even Alloa are added to their squad again.

3 minutes ago, Steeplechat said:

I think most of us didn’t think our squad would be so small.
Even Alloa are added to their squad again.

This. I expected more signings. I felt we could be midtable and think I predicted us for a 5th to 7th at the start of the season. Not so sure now though

2 minutes ago, NM_1919 said:

Zanatta and Burt for starters

maybe the parent club prefer them going on loan to a part time team? so they can still train with them a few days a week and train with the part time teams at night

our squad is small but how many times have we been told that there is no money available to bring players in, hewitson wont change his mind 

12 minutes ago, the tactician said:

maybe the parent club prefer them going on loan to a part time team? so they can still train with them a few days a week and train with the part time teams at night

our squad is small but how many times have we been told that there is no money available to bring players in, hewitson wont change his mind 

Possibly or maybe the parent club would like the receiving club to make some contribution to the loanee`s wages.

36 minutes ago, stornaway boy said:

reading he papers today it would appear that we have 2 players long term injuries.  2 players doubtful tomorrow. 3 younger players unavailable and we have only played 2 league games  so far this season.  Division 1 here we come?

reading he papers today it would appear that we have 2 players long term injuries.  2 players doubtful tomorrow. 3 younger players unavailable and we have only played 2 league games  so far this season.  Division 1 here we come?
Despearately need players in. We will be floundering near the botttom if we have any more injuries.

3 minutes ago, QosLoyal said:
6 hours ago, stornaway boy said:

Despearately need players in. We will be floundering near the botttom if we have any more injuries.

Every supporter agrees and the management and players probably do too, just a pity the board/Chairman think we have enough players to last the season!!! 

Every supporter agrees and the management and players probably do too, just a pity the board/Chairman think we have enough players to last the season!!! 
I can accept the board cutting our cloth accordingly and telling Naysmith he has a wee squad. But surely they couldn't/can't expect the squad to go through the season without one or two injuries? If they haven't put a wee bit by incase of a serious injury or two then I feel for GN and fear for us.

I’ve no idea the inner workings of a football club but I’d imagine the manager was given a budget and then free reign to do what he pleases with it. And rightly so, it isn’t really the board’s call who we sign, or how many as long as he stays in budget. We probably could have got 3 or 4 “Scott Mercers” for Todd and Harkin’s wages but he has opted for quality over quantity. If the budget is gone we can’t magic up more money from thin air. Disappointing though it is, you can’t argue that it is astute running of the club.

I think it’s pretty telling that the manager hasn’t made any complaints about his squad. Not publicly anyway. He’s in his last year of his contract and the board have probably told him “you’ve made your bed, now lie in it. If you earn us money in the cups you can have more players.”

In a time when a lot of clubs are cutting back or completely killing off their youth system I’d imagine another thing that the board have consider is, “we’re paying for this youth system, lets use it”. Again hard to argue with.

No denying it’s a significant gamble. They must also be assuming we’d likely beat any part timers from the league below in the playoffs. Or worst case scenario, bounce straight back if we went down again.