The Queen of the South thread

17 minutes ago, QoS_1919 said:

I quite like the Colt teams and also the Highland and Lowland League teams being in the competition. We've went down the route with play-offs to League 2 so no harm in the Highland and Lowland teams participating.  As for the Colt teams, it gives them a bit of experience playing against bigger teams for when (if) they step up to the first team. There's going to be at least 2 Colt teams who will qualify for the next round and hopefully at least one Highland or Lowland league team(s). It would be good if a couple of them continue to progress to the next round(s). 

I agree with the financial difficulties for clubs. Formatine United have to travel from Aberdeenshire to Coleraine which is a 628 mile round trip. Bit unfair on a team who have done well the past 5 year and also stay within their means on the financial side of things. Or do they get the same kind of grant as we do for traveling to Nothern Ireland? 

Formartine will get £7k to go to Ireland, as indeed Crusaders will to come to us. 

Forward Zanatta signs for the wasps on loan from Hearts, We seem to be only club not recruiting. Possible season defining game v St Johnstone this early already on Sat. 

A must win game followed by keeping fingers crossed for drawing either  Celtic or Rangers away in the next round seems a must...

Should TNS or either English side and any other north of Scotland team make the final, Palmerston must be first choice for final venue, in that scenario.

Although I love the old girl, Palmerston is a shit hole and verging on not fit for purpose. There is not a hope in hell it would be chosen to host a major final.

1 hour ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

Although I love the old girl, Palmerston is a shit hole and verging on not fit for purpose. There is not a hope in hell it would be chosen to host a major final.

Well I wouldn't go that far, but I agree they are never in a month of Sundays going to pick such an inconvenient ground with terraces at each end for a televised cup final.

I'm sure when they began inviting "foreign" clubs in there was an assurance given that the final would always be in Scotland. I presume that would remain the case even if two foreign sides reached the final. I suppose if two London sides reached the final it would be a touch ridiculous to do so and looking for a more local venue to them would make sense but I'd think unless both finalists are from the same foreign country it's bound to be in Scotland and, if they are traveling to Scotland anyway, then they may as well go to a more suitable Central Scotland ground.

My first Queens game was in the dim distant past of October 1963 when I was 8.

QoS reserves vs.Rangers reserves. Daft question but I see they're playing on Monday.                                                  Can I get into see the game?

I seem to remember they lost at least 4-1 - might have been more. It was a dull dreich day and they were 4-0 down when Queens scored and someone shouted "Come on Queens you've got them rocking now" - strange what you remember.

Also be driving down on Saturday with  St.Johnstone fans in the car - oh for a pleasant drive home.

49 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I would absolutely love Sutton and Boreham Wood to reach the final. A final held at Killie in front of a bumper 64 crowd.

Given their respective budgets - and assuming they take the competition seriously - then there's every chance that might indeed happen... :thumbsdown

1 hour ago, QoSinPerth said:

QoS reserves vs.Rangers reserves. Daft question but I see they're playing on Monday.                                                  Can I get into see the game?

2pm, Palmerston Park. Just as the Development games last season, free entry. It won't be staffed, the big gate at the side of the park will be open for anyone interested to walk in. There's no catering or anything (although the Arena Cafe is open at that time and there's nothing to stop people walking in and out of the park to go there).

Queens Trust meeting tonight in the Arena at 7.30 pm. All members welcome.

We are now at a fantastic 190 members.

A new link to our adult memberships on EBay as our old one with 100 memberships sold out!! Amazing.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F253819075856

concession membership:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F252996969388

Jason Kerr been very complimentary of Queens, and Naysmith in particular, in the papers today. 

He also believes of the three loanees we've sent you, Clark is the most popular. 

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Jason Kerr been very complimentary of Queens, and Naysmith in particular, in the papers today. 

He also believes of the three loanees we've sent you, Clark is the most popular. 

Send us more then!

They were all very popular to be honest. All were a success. Kane took longer to take off but was a big miss when he eventually left. If Clark was more popular then it was because he was here for more than a year and a half compared to Kerr and Kane's 5 months or so. Also Zander's family came to all the games and made long term friendships with many of our supporters. I think they still have a real affinity to the club and follow our results. Lovely people.

Jason Kerr was a revelation with us. I don't think anyone expected him to be as good as he was at that age. He was expected to be the "3rd centre back", getting games here and there, but he very quickly made himself an automatic selection and, as decent as Kane was, Kerr for me was the much bigger loss when he went back. Kyle Cameron was nowhere near as good or as consistent and our defence suffered in the second half of the season for his absence. I still think if he remains injury free Kerr will go on to much greater things in the game than both Queen of the South and St Johnstone (no disrespect intended).

As much as I like the foreign teams being in it, it is crazy expecting a club to be at significant loss just from the costs of travelling to London. It should be fully covered by the grant. How is gate money split? I think Sutton get pretty decent crowds although no idea how interested their fans would be in attending.

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Send us more then!

They were all very popular to be honest. All were a success. Kane took longer to take off but was a big miss when he eventually left. If Clark was more popular then it was because he was here for more than a year and a half compared to Kerr and Kane's 5 months or so. Also Zander's family came to all the games and made long term friendships with many of our supporters. I think they still have a real affinity to the club and follow our results. Lovely people.

Jason Kerr was a revelation with us. I don't think anyone expected him to be as good as he was at that age. He was expected to be the "3rd centre back", getting games here and there, but he very quickly made himself an automatic selection and, as decent as Kane was, Kerr for me was the much bigger loss when he went back. Kyle Cameron was nowhere near as good or as consistent and our defence suffered in the second half of the season for his absence. I still think if he remains injury free Kerr will go on to much greater things in the game than both Queen of the South and St Johnstone (no disrespect intended).

Zander's parents are really nice. They come to all the Saints games still too. Even when Zander spent time sitting on the bench. They get on well with a lot of the supporters from Perth too. 

Jason has been doing well for us since returning as well. Kane overall has done decently for Saints as well but he's injured fairly regularly (Now too)

Needing a striker or central midfielder? We've got Callum Hendy (son of big Colin) or Ally McCann who need some game time. Young but definitely potential to have good careers!

Thats not why I popped into your thread though...

Tomorrow, how's it going to go down? Decent number (for Saints) heading their way to Dumfries I expect - should be a good day.

On 06/08/2018 at 21:56, RandomGuy. said:

Martin Hardie doing Martin Hardie things :wub: I was about 15, one of my first ever long lourney away days (only previous one was a Tuesday night trip to Dingwall) and I ended up five rows forward with no idea where my dad had gone and hugging random folk after that equaliser. I've loved Palmerston ever since. 

I'm sure Dobbie ripped the pish out Main that day. 

That explains the username...

I seem to remember they lost at least 4-1 - might have been more. It was a dull dreich day and they were 4-0 down when Queens scored and someone shouted "Come on Queens you've got them rocking now" - strange what you remember.
Also be driving down on Saturday with  St.Johnstone fans in the car - oh for a pleasant drive home.

Like you heading down with some saints fans in tow [emoji2]

1 hour ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Zander's parents are really nice. 

I'm sure one is two Queens fans might have a different view about his mum.  I've seen grown men almost brought to tears if she thought they were criticising her son.  I'm glad I was just an innocent bystander.