The Queen of the South thread

I've not always been complimentary about Naysmith but give the guy credit, he's not moaning about our poor budget. I may be remembering wrong but I think Gus was always going on about how poor our budget was the year we went down. I think things are probably worse than we think but he's yet to use it as an excuse as such. I know it was mentioned earlier on that we're near the bottom budget wise but maybe it needed said on record. God knows we won't hear anything from our board.

1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

It would be very QOS to somehow get relegated in our centenary season :(

Yes, it would be a bit.

For the two years we've had Dobbie back, he's been largely, though not entirely, injury free.  Given his age though, I do worry about whether or not our luck can hold in that respect.  I'm trying not to think about what it would mean if it didn't.

According to some who post on here, the club isn’t paying for Dobbie. If so, in the absence of this external funding, all we would have is 12 senior players, including one striker. So, does that mean, even including income from the pitch and the arena, that full-time football is unsustainable? 

I'm sure the Board will have looked at every aspect of funding and to make savings where possible. The thing that gets me is the situation with stewarding. On Saturday, and every other Saturday or home game, a coach arrives with GS4 stewards who come from the central belt. I usually pass the coach on the way back up the road. Now those of you who hire coaches for away travel will know that does not come cheap. I know we are required to have properly trained stewards but unless GS4 have a contract with the SPFL why is it not possible to get locally based stewards and at least save on the hire of a coach and give local people employment?  Also on Saturday there were 2/3 police officers in the Oakbank terracing and  4 watching the Dundee United supporters (who are hardly known for their bad behaviour). No wonder our policing costs are high, notwithstanding what SD said when this matter was discuss a few weeks ago.

2 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

I'm sure the Board will have looked at every aspect of funding and to make savings where possible. The thing that gets me is the situation with stewarding. On Saturday, and every other Saturday or home game, a coach arrives with GS4 stewards who come from the central belt. I usually pass the coach on the way back up the road. Now those of you who hire coaches for away travel will know that does not come cheap. I know we are required to have properly trained stewards but unless GS4 have a contract with the SPFL why is it not possible to get locally based stewards and at least save on the hire of a coach and give local people employment?  Also on Saturday there were 2/3 police officers in the Oakbank terracing and  4 watching the Dundee United supporters (who are hardly known for their bad behaviour). No wonder our policing costs are high, notwithstanding what SD said when this matter was discuss a few weeks ago.

Any time I've seen G4S stewards travelling to matches they travel in a company vehicle, don't know if that is the case with all matches.  It seems to be the case that stewards must come from outwith the area.    I have spoken to a few at other venues and none are local to those venues. I suppose we could go back to the days when there were half a dozen local "bouncers"  taking care or stewarding. 

58 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

Also on Saturday there were 2/3 police officers in the Oakbank terracing and  4 watching the Dundee United supporters (who are hardly known for their bad behaviour).

You couldn't be more wrong on that front. There have been more arrests among the visiting support when Dundee United visit in the last two seasons than in all the other games added together I believe. All for drunken behaviour of some sort. There have however been no issues at all at the last three now so hopefully that's changing. United are regarded as a high risk visitor though.

20 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You couldn't be more wrong on that front. There have been more arrests among the visiting support when Dundee United visit in the last two seasons than in all the other games added together I believe. All for drunken behaviour of some sort. There have however been no issues at all at the last three now so hopefully that's changing. United are regarded as a high risk visitor though.

Lets be honest though, nobody likes being turned over especially by us border bumkins! ^_^

Excellent call by GN IMO. Saints have rested 7 players as well so their side should be fresh on Saturday as well. And that's a far more important tie. It also gives the young boys a run out. They'll surely be needed at some point for a regular spell during the season, so it's better to give them a run rather than throwing them in at the deep end in a league game. Hopefully they do well but I won't be furious if we go out tonight.

3 hours ago, Flash said:

Hey! No wonder their goalie made that wonder triple save, he's got three legs.  Is that allowed??

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Excellent call by GN IMO. Saints have rested 7 players as well so their side should be fresh on Saturday as well. And that's a far more important tie. It also gives the young boys a run out. They'll surely be needed at some point for a regular spell during the season, so it's better to give them a run rather than throwing them in at the deep end in a league game. Hopefully they do well but I won't be furious if we go out tonight.

Who were saints playing tonight? 

Glad we managed to secure the win tonight. Really starting to seem like we need that first goal to open the flood gates. Dobbie steamrolling towards that 2nd spot and Dykes finding the target yet again which is encouraging to see.

Also saw that Ross Fergusson bagged a hat-trick tonight for Annan, not entirely sure of the decisions surrounding his departure but given his physical attributes I still think he could have done a job for us considering our squad size.