The Queen of the South thread

Would be just our luck to field a broadly first choice team, pick up an injury or two and get knocked out anyway.

Slightly more seriously, any injuries to our tiny squad of first teamers, especially Dobbie, and our season is well and truly goosed.

7 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Haven’t we, at the very least, got Ross Fergusson’s wage to be repurposed given that he was signed for the season?

I appreciate the financial restrictions but having Dykes and Dobbie as our only recognised strikers is bordering lunacy.

Fergusson left before Doyle, Semple, Watson and (kind of) Exley were signed. Not getting into debates about budgets for obvious reasons but I dont think you can legitimately draw the conclusion you are trying to here (ie that someone has left thereby releasing previously committed budget).

15 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Fergusson left before Doyle, Semple, Watson and (kind of) Exley were signed. Not getting into debates about budgets for obvious reasons but I dont think you can legitimately draw the conclusion you are trying to here (ie that someone has left thereby releasing previously committed budget).

Yep fully understand the reasons.

If we have indeed used up our budget (and I know you aren`t saying we have or have not for that matter) then it might have been wise for us to have signed a 3rd striker within that budget. 

Okay fair enough, I incorrectly thought Fergusson left quite late in pre-season.

I know it’s not as straight forward as that, especially now I know we’ve signed other players since he left. I only made that comment because I thought he’d left after everyone else had signed.

Are any of the youngsters strikers? I know Tremble came on in an attacking position on Saturday but that looked more a case of throwing anyone on to try and salvage something.

No no no no no. Unless there are injuries you play your strongest team in ANY competition.Shortchanging the fans by playing shadow squads,I HATE that.

If we do that with a squad of 14 seniors you might end up with a youth team playing in the league in a few months!

The squad is so threadbare I would give most of the younger lads a run out tomorrow night.

If we are gonna play a strong team in a cup it has to be next week against St Johnstone but I really don’t think we have the resources for a cup run right now and it would just result in our league form suffering.

2 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

Haven’t we, at the very least, got Ross Fergusson’s wage to be repurposed given that he was signed for the season?

I appreciate the financial restrictions but having Dykes and Dobbie as our only recognised strikers is bordering lunacy.

I don't think £125 goes very far.

We’d have probably sent you Callum Hendry on loan if we weren’t playing with 4 strikers ourselves this season. Given last years links, we’ve a couple of central midfielders who might be available if we bring in the fables Chris Millar replacement.

On 12/08/2018 at 14:06, Distant Doonhamer said:

Sometimes feels like we`re rearranging the icebergs.

Early days.

I think we should rest Martin for this one. The opposition keepers in the first 2 league games produced outstanding saves to deny us goals while 2 of the goals against us were well saveable. So 2 bits of good keeping and we would be on 4 points and it might be said we have the makings of a decent defence. Having said that I do like an on form Martin but with keepers its all about confidence and he is a bit short of that. A bit of competition will help him, I think.

50 minutes ago, baw heid said:

I think we should rest Martin for this one. The opposition keepers in the first 2 league games produced outstanding saves to deny us goals while 2 of the goals against us were well saveable. So 2 bits of good keeping and we would be on 4 points and it might be said we have the makings of a decent defence. Having said that I do like an on form Martin but with keepers its all about confidence and he is a bit short of that. A bit of competition will help him, I think.

I`m far from convinced by Martin. On occasion he looks a good keeper but loses too many goals that look very saveable. I`m also unconvinced that "resting" him will be good for his confidence. If he`s going to be first choice he needs a run starting IMHO.

29 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Link to an unsurprising but concerning article.

There`s nae money

There's nothing new in there though.  As Naysmith says, it is what it is.

I liked the bit at the end listing aspects of a matchday at Queens.  For travel, it simply mentions what junction to leave the A74 at.  I wouldn't recommend that as the route from everywhere - pretty crazy for Ayr fans for instance.  

My team for tonight would be 

Leighfield

Mercer Fordyce Semple Marshall

Stirling Bell Harkins Murray

Dobbie Tremble

Murray and Bell have a fair few first team games behind them even if that is from the bench. But these games are the ones to show their worth to the team. I think Dobbie and Harkins should start to hopefully give us a good chance of being in a winning position before the hour mark. Dykes coming on for Dobbie would inject pace into the game. Jacobs on for Harkins could help us protect a lead whereas Todd could come on to help chase a win. Doyle getting a rest would be good but if we are winning well then Gourlay could come on for some game time. 

This competition should be treated seriously as our best chance of winning results however squad rotation is necessary as well.

23 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

There's nothing new in there though.  As Naysmith says, it is what it is.

I liked the bit at the end listing aspects of a matchday at Queens.  For travel, it simply mentions what junction to leave the A74 at.  I wouldn't recommend that as the route from everywhere - pretty crazy for Ayr fans for instance.  

Yep agree there is nothing new in there, just thought people might like to see it. Still a real concern though, even agreeing that it is what it is. It would be very QOS to somehow get relegated in our centenary season :(

37 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Yep agree there is nothing new in there, just thought people might like to see it. Still a real concern though, even agreeing that it is what it is. It would be very QOS to somehow get relegated in our centenary season :(

As long as Dobbie and Harkins stay fit we'll have enough to keep  out of the bottom two.