The Queen of the South thread

Our first half performance today was certainly play off material but not at the top end of the league! The second half a little better but...Dundee were much quicker to the ball, particularly in the first half, and like many others worry about our short bench, especially when the injuries start to pile up. A long hard season ahead. 

1 hour ago, BeeJay said:

Our first half performance today was certainly play off material but not at the top end of the league! The second half a little better but...Dundee were much quicker to the ball, particularly in the first half, and like many others worry about our short bench, especially when the injuries start to pile up. A long hard season ahead. 

Agree first half was poor. Forward line very static and midfield letting runners on top of our centre backs.

second half though was far than a little better. It was very good. High tempo, solid at the back and creating chances.

small squad I agree which needs a couple of additions.

Thought the match today was similar to Motherwell match is we showed Dundee United too much respect. On current form Utd were there for the taking and we should have started much more aggressively and positive instead of letting them dictate the pace of the game. We set up too defensively with Dobbie playing as a lone striker target man. If you are going to play that way it has to be Dykes up top. If we had got the first goal who knows what would have happened to Utd but with Utd getting it they grew into the game and became more confident.

Is there still a 6 second rule or is that a myth? It doesn't get acted upon!!! Apart from the 2 utd goals I cannot remember Martin having a save of note. Once ref blocked Dykes for first goal Dykes was always struggling and that meant Jacobs?  had to commit earlier than he should have that opened up shooting opportunity

37 minutes ago, SueSue said:

second half though was far than a little better. It was very good. High tempo, solid at the back and creating chances.

We had more of the ball in the second half, certainly.

I don't know that we created that much in the way of chances though.  Yes, there was urgency and pressure, but apart from the goal and the triple save that's been mentioned (none of which were very demanding), I don't recall us coming terribly close.

Agree first half was poor. Forward line very static and midfield letting runners on top of our centre backs.
small squad I agree which needs a couple of additions.

Heard today naysmith been told he's getting no more players unless we get money from a good cup run depression long season ahead.

Reading about this 6 second rule is boring. And verging on desperate. 

Can't for the life of me remember any indirect free kick being awarded for a keeper taking over 6 seconds. Every keeper does it, ours as well. All the ref does is gesture to the keeper to get a move on. 

2 minutes ago, QoS_1919 said:

Can't for the life of me remember any indirect free kick being awarded for a keeper taking over 6 seconds. Every keeper does it, ours as well. All the ref does is gesture to the keeper to get a move on. 

On  a separate but related note, should we not have had an indirect free kick in the first half for a pass back?  The ref must have deemed it a skewed clearance from that big defender, but he seemed to hook it back deliberately.   I thought the goalkeeper made a mistake in picking it up, but he got away with it.

Our 'keeper will do it if we're holding on to a lead with time running out. This guy did it from the beginning. Whether it's penalised or not it's clearly breaking a rule. Had an indirect free-kick been given early on it would have cut it out. Instead the ref let him get away with it time and time again and as a result he shaved minutes off the game.

On  a separate but related note, should we not have had an indirect free kick in the first half for a pass back?  The ref must have deemed it a skewed clearance from that big defender, but he seemed to hook it back deliberately.   I thought the goalkeeper made a mistake in picking it up, but he got away with it.
I didn't complain. I thought the guy sliced it and never thought it was an attempt to pass it back.

25 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Definite back pass ref missed this and sure he also got in the road of one of our players before a united goal.. The ref had a terrible game booked Harkins on first half then a Utd player done exactly the same 2nd half nothing said.. 

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

I didn't complain. I thought the guy sliced it and never thought it was an attempt to pass it back.

44 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Definite back pass ref missed this and sure he also got in the road of one of our players before a united goal.. The ref had a terrible game booked Harkins on first half then a Utd player done exactly the same 2nd half nothing said.. 

I thought it was a 50/50 call. I shouted for it but wasnt remotely surprised not to get it. I think he was intent on passing it back but not in the way he ended up slicing it back. I did think the keeper, under little pressure, took an unnecessary risk in picking it up though when he had plenty time to just kick it clear. I didnt really expect to get it but its a "seen them given" incident.

Harkins booking incident was similar to theirs in the second half (as indeed Harkins clearly ran to the ref to point out) but there was a lot more force in his wild swipe which is why it was a booking all day long. No complaints on that front from me.

Dont actually think the ref did a lot wrong really although Dobbie was adamant he should have had a penalty second half. I would need to see it again though. At the time I thought not.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

I thought it was a very strong claim for a penalty. He knocked it by the defender and would have had a free shot at goal had he not gone down. I’m not sure in that case why he would have chosen to go down.

I thought the ref had a poor game. Dundee Utd seemed to get a lot of leeway with what was deemed a foul, whereas he couldn’t wait to blow against us.

Just now, palmy_cammy said:

I thought it was a very strong claim for a penalty. He knocked it by the defender and would have had a free shot at goal had he not gone down. I’m not sure in that case why he would have chosen to go down.

Because he wasn't getting to the ball for this free shot? It looked that way to me.

I didn't think it was a penalty either.