The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, Come on queens said:

Yeah, the rumour is there will be no signings, as the club is skint. 

We can't surely expect young boys to change a game when they come off the bench .

In saying that with our poor crowds I  suppose we can't expect anything better  

Started last season with 1200 odd fans now we seem to be down to 800 odd  very poor just don't no what the answer is to get more fans in  .

We can't surely expect young boys to change a game when they come off the bench .
In saying that with our poor crowds I  suppose we can't expect anything better  
Started last season with 1200 odd fans now we seem to be down to 800 odd  very poor just don't no what the answer is to get more fans in  .

800 ??????

1 hour ago, Flash said:

Last season the 2 home games in the League Cup had crowds of 1,055 (midweek) and 1,002 an average of 1,028, although there would be some freebies amongst them.  The season before (which had no freebies iirc) had crowds of 1,036 and 1,013. This season the crowds were 803 and 788 (midweek) an average of 796. That is a drop of 466 over the 2 games, or about 23% compared with last season, and a similar drop compared with the season before. I don't think there was a significant variation in the number of away fans, so pretty much all accounted for by a reduction in the home crowd.

As for the squad, apart from ringers from the U20s, we currently have a squad of 13 outfield players. And 2 of them are bit part former U20s. Last season, going into the second league game we were able to choose the strikers from Dobbie, Lyle, Kane and Dykes. At this point, we can effectively choose the strikers from Dobbie and Dykes.

The team more or less picks itself, with the only real decision being over who out of Stirling, Murray, Mercer and Doyle plays. So there is really only competition for 2 places out of last week’s starting 11.  Hopefully we are waiting for Premiership clubs to finalise their squads before we get some players in on loan. 

I am sure a forward is due to come in at some point to give us an option of 2 from 3.

Just got around to watching Gary Naysmith's interview after the Morton game. Few interesting things:

- he knows he's maybe not been complimentary to the fans in the past when he's been defending players but he really does feel like there's a different spirit this season among the players, staff and fans and we all just have to stick together

- he has spoken to the players about the fact we'll be running with a very small squad this year and they need to stick together on the pitch

- some of the senior players have taken on more duties around the training pitch due to the financial situation

- there are 6 or 7 clubs with a bigger budget than us

- news of another loss within the Queen of the South family which I hadn't seen mentioned on here

It sounds positive in the sense we are cutting our cloth accordingly, but not good news that money is so tight!

1 hour ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

Just got around to watching Gary Naysmith's interview after the Morton game. Few interesting things:

- he knows he's maybe not been complimentary to the fans in the past when he's been defending players but he really does feel like there's a different spirit this season among the players, staff and fans and we all just have to stick together

- he has spoken to the players about the fact we'll be running with a very small squad this year and they need to stick together on the pitch

- some of the senior players have taken on more duties around the training pitch due to the financial situation

- news of another loss within the Queen of the South family which I hadn't seen mentioned on here

It sounds positive in the sense we are cutting our cloth accordingly, but not good news that money is so tight!

and he commented on the grass that looked fine from the stand but it was obvious the ball players, on both sides, were finding it difficult due to length and sticky  I suppose plastic is consistent but grass can rely on the groundsman.  Need a bit of mud to finish it off.

and he commented on the grass that looked fine from the stand but it was obvious the ball players, on both sides, were finding it difficult due to length and sticky  I suppose plastic is consistent but grass can rely on the groundsman.  Need a bit of mud to finish it off.

Deliberate to frustrate Dobbie and Harkins?

3 hours ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

I did notice news earlier in the week that ex Chairman Norman Blount's wife,  Board member Mark's mother,  had passed away.  Condolences to the Blount family. 

On other points in the interview,  I think it is only natural that senior players should take some responsibility behind the scenes,  especially with a lot of younger players in the squad irrespective of budget.  

The budget situation is hardly news,  we always new we would have one of the smallest budgets.  I hope it's not going to become the default excuse trotted out every time the team puts in a poor performance. 

I said before the Morton game that I would like to hear him being more positive talking about his team going into games rather than highlighting the problems that the opposition will pose us.  He could get the fans more onside by doing that. He sometimes sounds like he could give Northfield lessons in doom and gloom. 

Going by your brief summary of his interview it sounds like the normal lines usually trotted out by Managers and tells us nothing new. 

11 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I did notice news earlier in the week that ex Chairman Norman Blount's wife,  Board member Mark's mother,  had passed away.  Condolences to the Blount family. 

On other points in the interview,  I think it is only natural that senior players should take some responsibility behind the scenes,  especially with a lot of younger players in the squad irrespective of budget.  

The budget situation is hardly news,  we always new we would have one of the smallest budgets.  I hope it's not going to become the default excuse trotted out every time the team puts in a poor performance. 

I said before the Morton game that I would like to hear him being more positive talking about his team going into games rather than highlighting the problems that the opposition will pose us.  He could get the fans more onside by doing that. He sometimes sounds like he could give Northfield lessons in doom and gloom. 

Going by your brief summary of his interview it sounds like the normal lines usually trotted out by Managers and tells us nothing new. 

Have to say I thought it was a very decent interview and certainly had some positive elements within it.