The Queen of the South thread

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I can't think of too many occasions over that period when it's happened at home either.

Is it just that my glass is always half empty, or have we done the reverse - ie. failed to win having led by two, quite a few times?

I can remember a game against Partick Thistle where I think we came back from 3-0 down to steal an unlikely point that we didn't deserve.  I can't remember the specifics but I do remember running about the terrace like a crazy man celebrating as if we had won the Champions League, not drawn an inconsequential game of football.

I'm fairly sure it was also against Thistle that we nearly blew a 4-0 lead with the match ending 4-3.  If it had gone on any longer we would have almost certainly go on to draw or even lose that one.

Both of the above may have been during Ian McCall's tenure at Thistle but I'm not certain.  Rather than look it up and be accused of cheating I will leave it to SD to fill in the blanks.

The only other notable home comeback that springs to mind was in our Division 2 season.  I think it was against Arbroath we were 1-0 down at half time and had had Durnan sent off.  The second half display was as good as I have seen from us and I'm sure we went on to win 4-1 or 5-1.  I'm not sure coming back from one down should even be in this discussion but it was a memorable game and worth revisiting!

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

I can remember a game against Partick Thistle where I think we came back from 3-0 down to steal an unlikely point that we didn't deserve.  I can't remember the specifics but I do remember running about the terrace like a crazy man celebrating as if we had won the Champions League, not drawn an inconsequential game of football.

I'm fairly sure it was also against Thistle that we nearly blew a 4-0 lead with the match ending 4-3.  If it had gone on any longer we would have almost certainly go on to draw or even lose that one.

Both of the above may have been during Ian McCall's tenure at Thistle but I'm not certain.  Rather than look it up and be accused of cheating I will leave it to SD to fill in the blanks.

The only other notable home comeback that springs to mind was in our Division 2 season.  I think it was against Arbroath we were 1-0 down at half time and had had Durnan sent off.  The second half display was as good as I have seen from us and I'm sure we went on to win 4-1 or 5-1.  I'm not sure coming back from one down should even be in this discussion but it was a memorable game and worth revisiting!

From memory, the 3-0 to 3-3 game was around February 2010(?) Graeme Shepherd was in goal and never ever recovered his confidence from the game. It was Allan Johnston(I think) who grabbed the third to spark a head in hands moment for the Thistle support and #scenes in the home end. 

The 4-3 game was the Dick Campbell era - January 2007. We had been battered than we scored three in quick succession before, I think, hitting the post in the dying embers sparking a head in hands moment for the Thistle support and #scenes in the home end. 

22 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Having taken a look through Soccerbase, I think that's right. What stood out to me in doing so is how many times we've drawn 2-2 at Livi, must have been 5 or 6 since then!

22 hours ago, Flash said:

I genuinely didn’t know and, like dhd, I had a quick look and it is possible I missed one, so still wasn’t sure.

It isn’t something that happens all that often, home or away. So it is maybe a good sign that we have got a win and a draw after being 2 down in games only a few weeks apart. Of course, it would be even better not to have to do it in the first place. 

20 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I can't think of too many occasions over that period when it's happened at home either.

Is it just that my glass is always half empty, or have we done the reverse - ie. failed to win having led by two, quite a few times?

Apologies, been at the Land'o Burns Football Tournament in Ayr all day so just looking at this now, though it appears it's largely been put to bed. To expand to cover MT's point. Comebacks from 2 up or 2 down to get something:

04/08/18 - Morton (A) 2-0 down but recover to draw through Semple and Todd.
14/07/18 - Stranraer (H) 2-0 down but recovered to win 5-3.
24/03/18 - Livingston (H) 2-0 lead surrendered and we were in fact 3-2 down before scoring a last minute equaliser.
23/12/17 - St Mirren (H) 2-0 lead but lost 3-2.
14/01/17 - Dundee United (A) 3-1 lead but drew 3-3
02/04/16 - Falkirk (H) 2-0 down, a late fightback saw Derek Lyle pull one back and Iain Russell equalise in injury time.
25/10/14 - Livingston (A) 2-0 lead given up in the last 10 minutes as we are held 2-2.
26/07/14 - Livingston (H) 2-0 up in a Petrofac Cup tie we allowed them back to 2-2 and went on to lose 4-3 in extra time.
27/04/13 - East Fife (H) Shocker of a performance on title presentation day sees us 2-0 down with three minutes to go before Nicky Clark scored twice for a draw.
06/08/11 - Livingston (A) a 2-0 lead is let slip for a 2-2 draw.
12/02/11 - Partick Thistle (H) This is the game referred to above but we were never 3-0 down. We were 2-0 down to Grehan and Doolan before Willie McLaren pulled one back. Flannigan made it 3-1 with 82 mins played but McLaren pulled another back before Allan Johnston's 91st minute equaliser. Graham Shepherd made a fine save even after that to deny Johnston a winner!
09/05/09 - Livingston (A) 2-0 down on an effectively waterlogged pitch in  the last game of the season, only played because it was meaningless, we scrambled a late 2-2 draw thanks to Stevie Tosh's penalty Weatherston and Gerry McLaughlin's late volley.
21/03/09 - Livingston (H) 3-1 up with 5 mins to go we contrived to draw 3-3.
21/02/09 - St Johnstone (H) 2-0 up but pulled back to 2-2, we retook the lead but were ultimately held 3-3.
03/01/09 - Morton (A) 2-0 up but held 2-2 by a Peter Weatherson double.
04/08/07 - St Johnstone (H) 2-0 and 3-1 up we were held 3-3 after Martin Hardie's last minute equaliser.
18/12/04 - Falkirk (A) a shock 2-0 lead is soon a distant memory as Falkirk win 4-2 with a Danny McBreen hat trick.
27/11/04 - St Mirren (A) another 2-0 lead blown as Kirk Broadfoot nets twice to give the home side a comeback draw.
24/04/04 - Brechin City (H) another 2-0 lead blown as Brechin are relegated despite a comeback to 2-2.
14/12/02 - St Johnstone (A) Incredibly we contrive to lose TWO injury time goals to draw 2-2.

The 02/03 season is as far back as I can take it without a lot more research as that's as far back as my own existing records go. So in 16 years, we have 14 times given up a 2 goal lead, losing three of them and drawing 11.

We have only 6 times, including yesterday, came from two down to get something. Four of the other five were at home ( Stranraer in July 18, Falkirk in April 16, East Fife in April 13 and Partick Thistle in February 11). The other away one was the meaningless end of season splashfest at Livingston Flash referred to already.

In the same time spell we've never come from either three up or down to get anything.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

28 minutes ago, kleinfaethetoon said:

Mind being at a midweek game at Firhill against Clyde around 87/88 very early season but can’t mind if it was our first away game or not, we were two nil down very very late in the game but won 3-2

29th September 1987, 2-0 down away to Clyde but won 3-2 with two goals from Jim Doherty and one from Billy Reid.

I can vaguely remember a game against Morton I think it was, Peter Weatherson was playing and it was a high scoring match. Something makes me want to say 5-5 or 6-5, as daft as that sounds. 

Does that ring a bell for anyone? Were we behind in that game? 

I was only about 10 at the time. 

5 minutes ago, QoS_1919 said:

I can vaguely remember a game against Morton I think it was, Peter Weatherson was playing and it was a high scoring match. Something makes me want to say 5-5 or 6-5, as daft as that sounds. 

We were never behind. Steve Bowey's debut. Bizarre match in horrific conditions. We were 6-3 up at half time!

I have no idea how to directly link a You Tube video but if you put QoS 6-5 Morton into the search on there highlights are available.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

2 minutes ago, QoS_1919 said:

Yes, I think it'll ring lots of bells for most posters on here.

We won 6-5 in our title year of 2002 and Sean O'Connor came to everyone's attention while on loan at Morton from Dundee United.

If memory serves, It was 1-1 after about a minute, 4-1 after about 18 minutes or something and I think 6-3 at halftime.  Driving rain and high winds contributed hugely.

18 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

We were never behind. Steve Bowey's debut. Bizarre match in horrific conditions. We were 6-3 up at half time!

I have no idea how to directly link a You Tube video but if you put QoS 6-5 Morton into the search on there highlights are available.

16 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, I think it'll ring lots of bells for most posters on here.

We won 6-5 in our title year of 2002 and Sean O'Connor came to everyone's attention while on loan at Morton from Dundee United.

If memory serves, It was 1-1 after about a minute, 4-1 after about 18 minutes or something and I think 6-3 at halftime.  Driving rain and high winds contributed hugely.

1 hour ago, Flash said:

Good work SD. But I have a vague recollection of being 2-0 down to Stranraer before coming back to win 5-3. :P

Ha, I didn't even look at this season and only added the Morton game at the top as an afterthought about 5 mins after initially posting! Forgot about Stranraer. Will edit.

16 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

That was towards the start of McCall's second "great escape" - Stevie Murray and Jamie Adams making their debut after Willie Gibson had agreed a transfer to Killie.

http://www.qosarchive.co.uk/270107.htm

Only prevented from being the archetypical late Queens collapse by the fact that we managed to hold on! I invariably think about this match  any time we go into the last 10 minutes with a comfortable lead. 

Edited by TeeMan