The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, Dumfries Boy(new acc) said:

Does a Clyde win tomorrow change anything for us? Ofcourse we'd top the group but would we still be unseeded? 

I think Motherwell need to win or at least have a very high scoring draw (4-4 or more ??) plus win on pens against Clyde to win the group. Either way we aren`t going to be seeded but it would be nice to win the group.

2 hours ago, Dumfries Boy(new acc) said:

Does a Clyde win tomorrow change anything for us? Ofcourse we'd top the group but would we still be unseeded? 

If you presume St Mirren aint winning by eight then, no, not really. It knocks Motherwell out but we will be an unseeded team in the next round either way. 

The prize money is the same for reaching the 2nd round. You dont get anything extra for winning the group.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

15 minutes ago, SueSue said:

Who do we want to draw in the last 16 as an unseeded team.

Rangers away while the Gerrard effect is in full swing!

Yes I know MT thats not looking for enough of a cup run. No point looking for the "winnable" draw until we know who is seeded although given Ayr or Partick and Dunfermline are likely to be two and Livi probably another, there will certainly be winnable ones out there.

2 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Rangers away while the Gerrard effect is in full swing!

Yes I know MT thats not looking for enough of a cup run. No point looking for the "winnable" draw until we know who is seeded although given Ayr or Partick and Dunfermline are likely to be two and Livi probably another, there will certainly be winnable ones out there.

Yes, I'd definitely prefer something that looks more readily winnable.

After all, what would any cash windfall be useful for?  It would be to enable us to do well in football competitions.   Any novelty attached to playing Rangers is now long gone.

A cup run may help the club engage more with the local public, rather than being pumped by ‘The Rangers’. I get the financial side too but what would be best ?
If we did draw a big team it doesn't necessarily mean thats the competition is over for us. With dobbie in the side you just never know.

I would prefer a more equal tie however. The chance of advancement.

If we did draw a big team it doesn't necessarily mean thats the competition is over for us. With dobbie in the side you just never know.

I would prefer a more equal tie however. The chance of advancement.

I was going by the earlier comment on ‘The Rangers’ away and Gerrard effect !! apart from them or Celtic away, I agree I would fancy us turning over anyone else home or away with Harkins and Dobbie in our side. Any extra finance coming to the club is great but surely a cup run has a better effect locally !!

I was going by the earlier comment on ‘The Rangers’ away and Gerrard effect !! apart from them or Celtic away, I agree I would fancy us turning over anyone else home or away with Harkins and Dobbie in our side. Any extra finance coming to the club is great but surely a cup run has a better effect locally !!

I’m not sure I would fancy us to turn over Aberdeen or Hibs away tbh! They’re pretty solid performers in the top half these days.

46 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

I’m loathed to be too critical when our posters are actually being positive for a change, but we’ve just been comprehensively beaten by Motherwell with Dobbie and Harkins in the team so lets not get too carried away.

This.

6 minutes ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

Are there any actual examples at Queens of a money spinning tie (or indeed a cup run) leading to additional signings or any other form of additional spending?

I can't think of any myself but the memory's poor so there may well be...

Aberdeen 2008 => Stewart Kean :huh:

Edited by TeeMan

3 minutes ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

Are there any actual examples at Queens of a money spinning tie (or indeed a cup run) leading to additional signings or any other form of additional spending?

I can't think of any myself but the memory's poor so there may well be...

Well if you consider that the most successful cup run in  the Club's history was followed by a period of  financial uncertainty (or mismanagement)  then I doubt if any other cup run will have produced much additional spending.