The Queen of the South thread

Our first home game since Allan passed away could be an emotional affair ( Dundee United 11th August )
I’m sure the club will have something planned but was wondering what supporters think is more appropriate, a minutes silence or a minutes applause ?

1 hour ago, Steeplechat said:

Our first home game since Allan passed away could be an emotional affair ( Dundee United 11th August )
I’m sure the club will have something planned but was wondering what supporters think is more appropriate, a minutes silence or a minutes applause ?

Silence. Every time.

Minute's applauses are for when one group of morons cant be trusted to keep quiet for a minute. 

29 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Silence. Every time.

Minute's applauses are for when one group of morons cant be trusted to keep quiet for a minute. 

Absolutely this.  We don't need to be dictated to because some OF fans struggle to behave like human beings.

In this case I can actually see a case for applause in recognising the scale of the contribution.  However, a perfectly observed period of silence is far more poignant and powerful.

1 hour ago, Steeplechat said:

Without doubt a minutes silence. 

Absolutely this.  We don't need to be dictated to because some OF fans struggle to behave like human beings.
In this case I can actually see a case for applause in recognising the scale of the contribution.  However, a perfectly observed period of silence is far more poignant and powerful.

A minutes applause is more popular than you think but I agree a minutes silence in this case is called for. Allan was a hero of mine when I first started following Queens

Going to suggest something here that might be considered a bit OTT or daft but why can't we have both (not at the same time obviously).  Have a minutes silence pre- kick-off to show respect as per normal which ALL fans observe then a minutes applause during half time say by Queens fans (and visiting fans if they wish to join in) Celebrating the pleasure "Bally" gave us shouldn't be necessarily be a sombre affair.  I'm in no way religious but at funerals we are often asked to celebrate the life lived rather than the end. 

A minutes applause is used world wide and is not based on the behaviour of the bigot brothers. Whatever method of showing respect is chosen for Alan I will be picturing him between the sticks performing heroics  as he was when I was in my youth.  I"ll try and block out memories of George Wood scoring against him though. 

57 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Going to suggest something here that might be considered a bit OTT or daft but why can't we have both (not at the same time obviously).  Have a minutes silence pre- kick-off to show respect as per normal which ALL fans observe then a minutes applause during half time say by Queens fans (and visiting fans if they wish to join in) Celebrating the pleasure "Bally" gave us shouldn't be necessarily be a sombre affair.  I'm in no way religious but at funerals we are often asked to celebrate the life lived rather than the end. 

A minutes applause is used world wide and is not based on the behaviour of the bigot brothers. Whatever method of showing respect is chosen for Alan I will be picturing him between the sticks performing heroics  as he was when I was in my youth.  I"ll try and block out memories of George Wood scoring against him though. 

If you like the idea of both, in Italy they start of in silence then half way through they start clapping building it up to a peak level. 

Guest Flash
28 minutes ago, QoS_1919 said:

If you like the idea of both, in Italy they start of in silence then half way through they start clapping building it up to a peak level. 

Minute’s silence followed by applause until the end of the first minute of the game.

54 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
3 hours ago, jakeyman said:
Minutes silence. Never liked minutes applause. Hopefully we will doing that during the game.

What minute of the game?

Not sure if whoosh here but I took it jakeyman was meaning the QoS performance on the park would mean plenty of applause during the game rather than a specific tribute to Alan Ball. 

Not sure if whoosh here but I took it jakeyman was meaning the QoS performance on the park would mean plenty of applause during the game rather than a specific tribute to Alan Ball. 
I may have been whooshed as well. My comment was tongue-in-cheek anyway. Though in seriousness an applause from the first whistle for a minute would be a nice touch and we would be less likely to have it interrupted with a goal like Lyle's [emoji38]

35 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I did mean hopefully lots of goals to applaud.

Maybe older Queens fans can confirm but I recall watching Alan Ball play at Firhill when I was a kid and was fascinated by the warming up routine he would employ when play was at the other end. He would run around the 18 yard box (or was it the 6 yard box) touching each corner in order and then repeat and repeat again. This seemed to have a hypnotic effect on me and had to be told by Father to stop watching their keeper and start watching the game. I'm sure it was Alan Ball...I think.