The Queen of the South thread

Really sad news.

I saw him play a good few times when I was a young kid, but I became a regular at just about the time he finished.  But I remember him greeting our Cub group and showing us round the ground before that, and I remember being blown away when he got mentioned on Football Focus ahead of his 800th appearance.  

Lots of posters on the relevant thread on this forum have struggled with the concept of what 'club legend' means this week.  With Ball there is no room for doubt. 

Really sad news. Just what others have already said - the term "club legend" can probably be over-used these days, but not in the case of Allan Ball.

I remember travelling through to Falkirk to watch his 800th appearance for the club. Was also lucky enough to meet, chat with him and get my picture taken with him when we were over on our European adventure in Copenhagen.  An absolute gentleman.

RIP big fella.

Really sad news. I don’t know the man, and never saw him play but I’m still feeling incredibly sad about this news.

People like Allan Ball make this club what it is, and we will truly never see his like again.

Rest in peace.

26 minutes ago, Hawk said:

Although it was a good result today it doesn't really matter after the news of Alan Ball, RIP big man true club legend and a true gentleman. 

I know what you mean, but it does matter and he would have been the first to say so. After his family Bally lived for his football. If he was at all conscious of it he would have been delighted with today's result. 

Devastated at the news. Sleep well my friend. 

Sad news about Alan Ball. Way before my time but was always aware of his role on the board and as a figurehead.

What's the deal with Queens players going to Peterhead - Willie Gibson and Derek Lyle there atm, and now looking to sign our Under 18s keeper apparently. This after Dzierkawski moved up there. Is this just a coincidence or is there more to it?

4 minutes ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

Sad news about Alan Ball. Way before my time but was always aware of his role on the board and as a figurehead.

What's the deal with Queens players going to Peterhead - Willie Gibson and Derek Lyle there atm, and now looking to sign our Under 18s keeper apparently. This after Dzierkawski moved up there. Is this just a coincidence or is there more to it?

Confirmed on official site that Ryan Gibson is going to Peterhead on loan.

Another to Peterhead

33 minutes ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

Willie Gibson didnt join Peterhead from us though, he was at two clubs in between. Grant Anderson did though, you missed him. And Mark Millar went the other way slightly further back.

All just a coincidence though. No club connection. The keeper one is simply because he is Willie's brother really and Peterhead dont have another keeper. If he wasnt able to get a lift with his brother he wouldnt be going. Its a good opportunity for him though.

4 hours ago, Hawk said:

Although it was a good result today it doesn't really matter after the news of Alan Ball, RIP big man true club legend and a true gentleman. 

Alan Ball really is a legend seen him play many games he really was a top class goal keeper.

It was after he retired from playing that I got to meet him we played together in the same snooker team he really was a nice guy never a bad word to say about anyone .

RIP Alan 

9 hours ago, sidofthesouth said:

Really sad news. Just what others have already said - the term "club legend" can probably be over-used these days, but not in the case of Allan Ball.

I remember travelling through to Falkirk to watch his 800th appearance for the club. Was also lucky enough to meet, chat with him and get my picture taken with him when we were over on our European adventure in Copenhagen.  An absolute gentleman.

RIP big fella.

Made his debut against Falkirk as well. Strange how these things sometimes work out. 

Not often a club sees a player of that caliber or indeed, loyalty. 

Sad news about "Bally". Very much part of my early years following Queens and a true Club legend. Not a native of Dumfries but he settled here and was rightly regarded as a Doonhamer. 

Condolences to his family and many friends at this sad time.