The Queen of the South thread

I have watched 3 games now via the qostv90 set up and I got to say this is a more balanced and generally better team than last years. Early days I know. 

Dykes - This is a big year for him because hearts were sniffing around last season, so this season I imagine he is trying to earn a move up to a bigger club. Playing up front with Dobbie is good for him. His work rate is good, he tracks back and for me is winning a better percentage of headers. In the last game he took a monster long throw. I would like to see him take a few more as it adds a wee bit more to our attack. He has also started to add goals to his game so long may that continue.

Stirling - He needs to start games. On the ball he has quick feet and is drawing fouls. He has a decent bit of pace although he does neglect his defensive duties from time to time. This is his chance to grasp to play regular first team football.

Harkins - Some player. Looks like he is showing really good link up play with the front two, with the freekick to Dobbie in Stranraer game and his long range effort against Clyde showing his vision and dead ball quality. Some excellent dribbling on show as well.

Doyle - Decent. Good pace with a lot of commitment to the cause chasing down opposition players.

Semple - Only a few games in but I like him. Quite a strong player who seems to win most of his headers. Good tackler as well but for me the most important thing is that he doesn't lump every ball forward, which is refreshing.  Seems like a good defender so far. 

Mercer - Looks an altogether improved player albeit against lesser opposition. That was a peach of a cross for Dobbie headed effort against Clyde although I doubt Dobbie will get that much space against league opposition. Hope this upward trajectory of improvement continues.

Bell - Last few games I have thought to myself he tidies up well. He seems to play the simple passes to better players and hoovers up the loose balls and does a lot of chase work for harkins. Him and Jacobs will probably have to share that role for Harkins to operate. Hope he does well and makes the step up.

Dobbie - Legend. My one and only complaint is he doesn't have to take it all on himself. A few times already there have been players in the clear but Dobbs is trying to go through traffic to score. Its sublime when he does but sometimes needs to pass. Still one of the best players I seen though. 

Sorry its so lengthy guys.

2 wins from 2 and still they moan
Just because a side wins doesn't mean the performance can't be discussed. We beat Stranraer but lets not kid on we wouldn't have been gubbed by half time had we been playing a better side.

Lots of positives and negatives to take from the first two games.

On 17/07/2018 at 21:30, Brother Grimm said:

How many hat tricks now?

How many goals against Clyde for him?

Tuesday's was his 7th hat trick for us. It's his 5th in just under 2 years since returning. He got two in his first spell, the last of which was also against Clyde.

He has now scored 13 for us against Clyde which makes them his biggest victims. They were level with Falkirk before Tuesday. He has however probably got four more games against Falkirk this season and probably no more against Clyde..........

24 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Tuesday's was his 7th hat trick for us. It's his 5th in just under 2 years since returning. He got two in his first spell, the last of which was also against Clyde.

He has now scored 13 for us against Clyde which makes them his biggest victims. They were level with Falkirk before Tuesday. He has however probably got four more games against Falkirk this season and probably no more against Clyde..........

I'm entirely confident we will keep him to three or less this season. Maybe. 

Looking forward to tomorrow’s game. A win should see us just about qualify, providing we don’t get hammered by Motherwell. Can’t see 4  teams getting 10 points and finishing 2nd.

I’d bring in Todd for Mercer, and put Doyle RB. Doyle is a decent enough RM but I don’t think a defensive winger is the way forward against 4th tier teams. If KJ is fit I’d bring him in for Bell as well and keep the rest as it is. If we can win by 2 or3 goals I’m certain we’ll progress to the last 16, think we get around £30’000 for it? Plus a potential money spinning tie against one of the big guns.

22 minutes ago, QoS_Blue1919 said:

Looking forward to tomorrow’s game. A win should see us just about qualify, providing we don’t get hammered by Motherwell. Can’t see 4  teams getting 10 points and finishing 2nd.

I’d bring in Todd for Mercer, and put Doyle RB. Doyle is a decent enough RM but I don’t think a defensive winger is the way forward against 4th tier teams. If KJ is fit I’d bring him in for Bell as well and keep the rest as it is. If we can win by 2 or3 goals I’m certain we’ll progress to the last 16, think we get around £30’000 for it? Plus a potential money spinning tie against one of the big guns.

I think Mercer has done well, his cross to Dobbie for the goal was brilliant and he's grown on me a bit, seems to be improving every game. Obviously Doyle has to start and if Todd isn't fit then I think GN will play him RM again. I believe he did well there against Clyde? 

2 hours ago, QoS_Blue1919 said:

Think Mercer has done well and deserves his place in the team .

Our "strongest on paper" XI probably has Doyle at RB and Todd in RM but Mercer was fine on Tuesday and Todd will likely be eased back in after missing a lot of pre-season.  Doyle was okay against Clyde but I don't see him as our best option there long term. 

What have I missed about Jacobs, is he injured or just been given time off because of his newborn?  The game largely passed Bell by through the week but I wouldn't be against him getting another start under his belt against lower-league opposition.  He did fine when he got involved, he just didn't seem to do it very often.

To be honest as long as Harkins and Dobbie are in the team I'm happy.  In fact I'm nursing a semi just thinking about it.

44 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Our "strongest on paper" XI probably has Doyle at RB and Todd in RM but Mercer was fine on Tuesday and Todd will likely be eased back in after missing a lot of pre-season.  Doyle was okay against Clyde but I don't see him as our best option there long term. 

What have I missed about Jacobs, is he injured or just been given time off because of his newborn?  The game largely passed Bell by through the week but I wouldn't be against him getting another start under his belt against lower-league opposition.  He did fine when he got involved, he just didn't seem to do it very often.

To be honest as long as Harkins and Dobbie are in the team I'm happy.  In fact I'm nursing a semi just thinking about it.

Jacobs got bad head knock against Stranraer .Looked a sore one .

47 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

What have I missed about Jacobs, is he injured or just been given time off because of his newborn? 

Did you mean LM for Todd? He started every game for us after joining last season at LM. I am presuming Stirling will go back to the right once Todd is fully fit. I may be wrong though.

Jacobs had a major bleed against Stranraer in a head knock that took a while to get stopped. He initially played on bandaged up but they couldnt get the bleeding to stop at half time even after stitches so he had to be subbed and wasnt passed fit for Tuesday's game though he came down for the team photo. He reckoned then he would probably be ok for Saturday though that remains to be seen.

I didn't know that about Jacobs, typical Cleyhole fermers!  No need to rush him back for tomorrow if he's not 100%.

Aye sorry Todd on the left, Stirling on the right.  That's certainly what happened when Todd came on on Tuesday.  Although if they played "wrong side" it would at least give us something to talk about on here!

I'm not sure what to make of Todd yet as I've not seen very much of him.  He seems quite a busy player which I like.  Always trying to make something happen.  Sometimes wide men are guilty of just loitering about on their wing waiting for the ball to come to them.  Dom Thomas was quite bad for this.

A front four of Todd, Stirling, Dobbie and Dykes, with Harkins feeding them really is a mouth-watering prospect.  I'd imagine we might see quite a lot of high scoring games this season as I'm not confident our defence has improved enough on last year.  Still should be exciting enough.  Money to be made backing BTTS and over 2.5 goals most weeks I think.

Cue a 0-0 tomorrow with Calum Antell playing the game of his life including a scorpion kick to save a Stephen Dobbie penalty.

The defence looks far stronger with Semple in there.  Clean sheets against Hearts and Clyde since he came in.

the back four seem to working more as a unit this season. Catching forwards off side far more than last season.

Add Doyle at right back and I think the defence looks very good