The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, TeeMan said:

There were at least two occasions in the first half where I thought Marshall was going to lamp Stirling - he has a tendency to switch off defensively. 

I thought we were ok against a poor Clyde team. Harkins is great on the ball but I'm still worried how it will all hang together when we are playing teams at our level - it will be an awful lot of work for his midfield partner. Semple looked good in the air but missed a couple on the ground but I'm sure his sharpness will improve with game time. I was really impressed with Doyle - it's good to have a player with pace, workrate and determination.

At HT i was feeling pretty pessimistic, but Dobbie :wub:

Yeah I noticed that!

When the ball is in his vicinity he is sharp and alert but when it isn't he seems to switch off as you say.  It's almost as if he is daydreaming some of the time.

Time for an update

As at 18th July 2018:

1 - Jim Patterson, 251 goals in 462 appearances, 1949 - 1963
2 - Bobby Black, 120 goals in 346 appearances, 1952 - 1961
3 - Derek Lyle, 117 goals in 269 starts (96 sub) appearancs, 2002 - 2004, 2004 - 2006 & 2012 - 2018
4 - Andy Thomson, 114 goal in 196 starts (35 sub) appearances, 1989 - 1994 & 2006 - 2007
5 - Stephen Dobbie, 113 goals in 173 starts (17 sub) appearances, 2007 - 2009, 2016 - Current
6 - Jocky Dempster, 98 goals in 342 starts (13 sub) appearances, 1970 - 1979
7 - Tommy Bryce, 95 goals in 283 starts (14 sub) appearances, 1985 - 1987, 1994 - 1998 & 1999
8 - Stevie Mallan, 94 goals in 233 starts (32 sub) appearances, 1993 - 2000
9 - Tommy McCall, 93 goals in 264 appearances, 1925 - 1934
10 - Ian Reid, 89 goals in 192 starts (5 sub) appearances, 1973 - 1978
11 - Jimmy Robertson, 89 goals in 378 starts (22 sub) appearances, 1979 - 1987 & 1989 - 1993
12 - Jackie Oakes, 81 goals in 457 appearances, 1936 - 1947 & 1951 - 1960
13 - Iain McChesney, 79 goals in 587 starts (28 sub) appearances, 1961 - 1982
14 - Rowan Alexander, 78 goals in 165 starts (18 sub) appearances, 1978 - 1983 & 1995 - 1998
15 - Billy Houliston, 74 goals in 155 apearances, 1945 - 1952
16 - Jackie Law, 71 goals in 226 appearances, 1936 - 1948
17 - John O'Neill, 70 goals in 143 starts (52 sub) appearances, 2001 - 2003 & 2005 - 2008
18 - Lex Law, 68 goals in 316 starts (18 sub) appearances, 1964 - 1975
19 - Jimmy Rutherford, 66 goals in 65 appearances, 1930 - 1934
20 - Willie Dougan, 65 goals in 88 appearances, 1922 - 1925

Five goals in two games to start the season takes Dobbie within a goal of Andy Thomson now (with more than 20 appearances in hand. As he's played less games his next goal will move him into 4th and 4 more will move him about Del into 3rd. Seven more will take him into 2nd (as he'll have played less games than Bobby Black).

2 hours ago, TeeMan said:

There were at least two occasions in the first half where I thought Marshall was going to lamp Stirling - he has a tendency to switch off defensively. 

I thought we were ok against a poor Clyde team. Harkins is great on the ball but I'm still worried how it will all hang together when we are playing teams at our level - it will be an awful lot of work for his midfield partner. Semple looked good in the air but missed a couple on the ground but I'm sure his sharpness will improve with game time. I was really impressed with Doyle - it's good to have a player with pace, workrate and determination.

At HT i was feeling pretty pessimistic, but Dobbie :wub:

Stirling isnt the best defensively, theres no doubt about that. However, I wouldnt have said it was an issue with his workrate or effort ... anymore.

24 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Five goals in two games to start the season takes Dobbie within a goal of Andy Thomson now (with more than 20 appearances in hand. As he's played less games his next goal will move him into 4th and 4 more will move him about Del into 3rd. Seven more will take him into 2nd (as he'll have played less games than Bobby Black).

At current rates he'll be in 1st place by Christmas 2019 :) ;)

Edited by TeeMan

10 minutes ago, The-coo-shed said:

Does the introduction of the new qosfctv service mean we won't get any highlights anymore? I'm all for the new concept but sometimes it is good just to see the goals.

Was there any footage of Dobbie's last hat trick against Brechin?

The two things arent related

Having watched the game I don’t understand the doom by some. 

Excellent going forward. Very lively and plenty of movement .Dobbie obviously the main man but the work rate around him was fantastic.

Hawkins is a great player. No more to say.

Thought the defense was strong, vocal and organized. Would like Doyle at right back . Semple and Fordyce worked together very well.

maybe we play it forward too quickly from the back but that comes from the manager.

I am left feeling excited for the season ahead.

1 hour ago, SueSue said:

maybe we play it forward too quickly from the back but that comes from the manager

This. We always wanted to go forward it seemed and punted hopeless balls forward during first half of both games. I'd like to see us just keep the ball more against lower opposition instead of just giving them the ball,don't force it all the time, would help us control games better at home. Probaly the only negative from yesterday's game and it's not really a 'negative'.

23 minutes ago, Dumfries Boy(new acc) said:

This. We always wanted to go forward it seemed and punted hopeless balls forward during first half of both games. I'd like to see us just keep the ball more against lower opposition instead of just giving them the ball,don't force it all the time, would help us control games better at home. Probaly the only negative from yesterday's game and it's not really a 'negative'.

With the caution being that I’ve only really seen the video of the Stranraer game. Last season partly why we struggled at home was because we couldn’t break teams down when they had men behind the ball. In the league Cup we failed to beat Albion Rovers and East Kilbride in normal time,  along with the mountain of home 0-0s In the league. Some people like to say that the League Cup is glorified friendlies but last season it certainly highlighted a recurring theme last year. 

So whilst I’m not going to make any rash claim because it is still two games against diddies , it’s encouraging that we have been able to overcome a deficit against Stranraer and to get the breakthrough after being on top against Clyde.  

7 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

2 games in to the season, and you can see Dobbie and Harkins love playing together already.

No disrespect to Clyde, but it looked like they were having a laugh in that second half last night.

Football with a smile, how it should be played.:)

9 hours ago, Sloop John B said:

With the caution being that I’ve only really seen the video of the Stranraer game. Last season partly why we struggled at home was because we couldn’t break teams down when they had men behind the ball. In the league Cup we failed to beat Albion Rovers and East Kilbride in normal time,  along with the mountain of home 0-0s In the league. Some people like to say that the League Cup is glorified friendlies but last season it certainly highlighted a recurring theme last year. 

So whilst I’m not going to make any rash claim because it is still two games against diddies , it’s encouraging that we have been able to overcome a deficit against Stranraer and to get the breakthrough after being on top against Clyde.  

I get the general point, but looking at Dobbie's last two goals the other night, especially the third, it would be pushing it to liken Clyde to sides playing with "men behind the ball".

10 hours ago, Dumfries Boy(new acc) said:

All very well saying to keep the ball more but you have to have more than a couple of players who are comfortable when in possession.  The likes of Stranraer didn't  give you time to play keepball  as they were quick to close players down and force mistakes or dispossess them which ultimately led to losing early goals.  I think we did come out to try and play our way into that game but weren't allowed time to settle.  It's frustrating seeing balls lumped forward but it becomes a safe option when your being put under pressure.