The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, Flash said:

I appreciate the player market we are in. My post was mainly in reponse to yours saying that we shouldn’t expect to get better defenders at this level by pointing out that other teams at this level have better defenders than us. Whilst we have to ignore the season in the seaside league, I think Johnston put a better defence together than Naysmith. Mitchell, Higgins, Durnan and Holt was a far better defence than what we currently have. Fair enough, Higgins and Holt were already signed before he came in, but it shows it can be done on a small budget. 

I do agree, though, that we were far better organised then as well. We could play 4-4-2 without leaving the defence exposed (looking only at the cup games against the bigger sides). We even managed to attack Killie when we played 4-4-1 for almost the entire game, and only lost 2-1. 

I think what we have now is a combination of lower level defenders who aren’t going to get any better (Doyle and Semple excepted) plus midfielders who don’t always carry out their defensive duties, plus a manager who can’t get the best out of the limited players he has. Perhaps things will improve when Semple gets into the team and has a run of games. And when we have a fit Martin in goal, if that ever happens.

I tend to agree with your last paragraph.  I only really took exception to your suggestion we would have been better off replacing the whole defence.  I suspect if we had, we would likely just have ended up with a different set of lower level defenders who aren't going to get any better.  Like you, I'm hopeful that Semple and Martin will improve matters.  Playing natural wide players out wide and not central midfielders or forwards should also help.

46 minutes ago, steakpiegravy said:

That’s interesting. He certainly looks short but maybe it’s a comparative thing. I thought Pickford looked short in the World Cup footage but he’s apparently 6’1””. I guess it’s all relative -Thibaut Courtois by comparison is 6’6”. Hugo Lloris 6’2”.

...and by the way I’m 5’11 3/4 and have serious doubts about SD being 6’emoji16.png

Here's a photo of Leighfield replacing Martin during the opening game of last season. He's marginally taller than Martin. Both are standing just in front of the 6'4" Shaun Rooney. I think they are both about 6ft or thereabouts (or were then - whether Leighfield grew any more in the year since I'm not sure). He's definitely taller than me.

050817 12 a few wise words for youngster leighfield from the injured martin.jpg

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Guest Flash
2 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Here's a photo of Leighfield replacing Martin during the opening game of last season. He's marginally taller than Martin. Both are standing just in front of the 6'3" Shaun Rooney. I think they are both about 6ft or thereabouts (or were then - whether Leighfield grew any more in the year since I'm not sure). He's definitely taller than me.

Martin would be taller than him if Leighfield got his hair cut.

Be interesting to see who/if he rests on Tuesday. Big ask for players to play 4 90 mins at the start of the season in the space of 10 days or so. The fact that we have virtually no strength in depth probably makes his decision easier. Only players I can see us realistically resting, would be Mercer (Semple), Bell/Jacobs (Murray) and Stirling (Todd). Keeping wise fatigue shouldn’t be an issue, would still like to have Aldo in goals though.

I’d go Martin; Marshall, Fordyce, Semple, Doyle; Todd, Harkins, Bell, Murray; Dykes Dobbie

If Jacobs is fully fit I’d probably have him in for Bell, but Saturday looked nasty (+ I’m fairly sure Owen Bell is capable of dealing with John Rankin)

2 minutes ago, QoS_Blue1919 said:

Be interesting to see who/if he rests on Tuesday. Big ask for players to play 4 90 mins at the start of the season in the space of 10 days or so. The fact that we have virtually no strength in depth probably makes his decision easier. Only players I can see us realistically resting, would be Mercer (Semple), Bell/Jacobs (Murray) and Stirling (Todd). Keeping wise fatigue shouldn’t be an issue, would still like to have Aldo in goals though.

I’d go Martin; Marshall, Fordyce, Semple, Doyle; Todd, Harkins, Bell, Murray; Dykes Dobbie

If Jacobs is fully fit I’d probably have him in for Bell, but Saturday looked nasty (+ I’m fairly sure Owen Bell is capable of dealing with John Rankin)

I would have thought resting Jacobs would be a bit of a no-brainer. I agree that Semple is likely to start but could be at the expense of either Mercer or Fordyce. I'd like to see Todd start too.

Big ask for players to play 4 90 mins at the start of the season in the space of 10 days or so.

If that's too big an ask for them a this stage of the season they should be ashamed of their fitness levels!

Hoping Semple starts in place of Fordyce or Mercer, if Mercer then I'd put Fordyce at RB.

If that's too big an ask for them a this stage of the season they should be ashamed of their fitness levels!

Hoping Semple starts in place of Fordyce or Mercer, if Mercer then I'd put Fordyce at RB.

Why would you not put doyle to his favoured position of right back?

Thought it was a notable  aside from all this chat about the defence but Dykes has now scored 5 in his last 4 competitive games for Queens.  Considering his poor return in front of goal was his main criticism it would certainly go a long way to proving a lot of people wrong.

Thought it was a notable  aside from all this chat about the defence but Dykes has now scored 5 in his last 4 competitive games for Queens.  Considering his poor return in front of goal was his main criticism it would certainly go a long way to proving a lot of people wrong.

I'm not his biggest fan but at the same time I'm nowhere near his biggest critic. His lack of goals has never been something I've crticised (or his finishing in general tbh) it's the games where he looked disinterested has always been my gripe. That can't be faulted from the 2 games I've seen him in so far, whether he had scored or not.
Just out of interest, is Kyle Cameron any good? Just signed for Torquay to play in the National League South. Left footed centre back?
Shite. But players have went down south from the lower leagues up here who were poor and done well, so you never know.

1 hour ago, Sloop John B said:

His running behind the defence is causing problems and now he has two quality players in dobbie and harkins to to supply him quality balls. Also playing him as a striker helps. I seen him in games out on the wing and despite having ok games, its not his best position. Dykes, dobbie and harkins i think we will be the key men in most games.

1 hour ago, EdinburghTurkey said:

Just out of interest, is Kyle Cameron any good? Just signed for Torquay to play in the National League South. Left footed centre back?

I thought he was good in our away victory at Dundee United  but generally not impressed otherwise. Still only 21 though.

My God, just noticed that after tonight, we only have one home match between now and September 1st!
Yip. I clocked this a while back and put a LD in at work for Aug 11th for that very reason [emoji38]