The Queen of the South thread

1 minute ago, Mr X said:

Isaac Layne was one of the worst players against us in a woeful Brechin side last season, but you want us to pay money to sign him?

Layne done well against us up at Brechin. He holds it up well and runs in behind, wouldn't pay money for him obviously but wouldn't of been against bringing him in at end of last season as cover.

7 minutes ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

To quote the late, great, James Sanderson   " were you at the game today  ? "

Whatever his name, their number 9 was a  nuisance all game but then again to cause our defence  a  problem may not be the greatest recommendation !

He did ok, but was hardly tearing us apart and scored precisely 0 goals. As I said, he's already played at this level for the worst team the league has ever seen, yet you want to spend money on him on the back of one ok performance.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

I stead of commenting on a great 5 minutes for QoS you still look at it negatively. Seriously, do you go to the games hoping for a loss?

Same as Livi game really in that there were both lots of positives and negatives. Harkins has the potential to absolutely boss the midfield for us. I thought he was hands down our best player today. An absolute class above. It makes it all the more frustrating that we continued to hit the ball over him rather than give him it. I'd like to see Semple given a run of games and tbh I wouldn't mind seeing Fordyce dropped or at least put to RB. Him and Mercer were woeful at times today. No idea why the former didn't boot the ball out before the 2nd goal. He appears to enjoy hoofing it up the park as well.

Going forward we looked very good at times and I think we should be ok on that front. We need to cut down the silly goals and crosses though. That's the first lost of the season, I wonder how many more will come.

3 points and plenty of goals scored is the main thing. Let's hope we continue that on Tuesday but waken up at the back. Hoping for Semple to start in place of Mercer or Fordcye.

I go to games to be entertained.In the first half we were miles off the pace .Against better opposition the game would have been put to bed .NEGATIVELY  ?  as in the first sentence of your post .TAF .

Well at least we took the three points. Ok so we lost two early goals but the team took back control didn't they. We are off to a good start in the group. On a side note I think Dobbie's total goals tally is in need of adjusting. He is closing in on 2nd spot, of the all time goal scoring list. 

Sets us up now nicely. IF we beat Cylde then Edinburgh City we should be through, can't see 4 teams coming second with 10 points. Although if we play like that first 40 minutes then we will have no chance. Was a remarkable turnaround never seen a team play so poorly then score 3 in 5 minutes.

13 minutes ago, Mr X said:

He did ok, but was hardly tearing us apart and scored precisely 0 goals. As I said, he's already played at this level for the worst team the league has ever seen, yet you want to spend money on him on the back of one ok performance.

He played at this level for Alloa before that too. I like him. He is quick and appears to have good touch. He gave us the runaround in the first game at Brechin last season. He did well today in those respects too. But he doesnt score. His finishing is woeful which is why he is drifting down the divisions. He might do ok beside someone who scores regularly but if you are relying on him to score goals you are in trouble.

Lyle didnt even play today. Dykes, who carried a minor knock into the game, played pretty well and scored. Nithsdale Wanderer would still rather swap them! 

We were rotten today for 40 mins. Fordyce had his worst game for us to date probably. The entire back line was poor though blaming Marsh for losing headers to Grant Anderson is a bit harsh. He is about 6 inches shorter and we well know how good Anderson is in the air. Hopefully we will have a look at Semple on Tuesday.

Five mins of class from Harkins won it though. Goal and two assists. Stirling's goal was surely a fluke. Looked like an attempted cross to me and he looked fairly embarrassed about it. He did well to set up Dobbie for the 5th though.

Stranraer were good I thought. Started like a train and had they got it to half time 2-0 they might have won it. They will do ok this year. We dodged a bullet but the likes of Falkirk, Hamilton, Morton, Dundee Utd would have been happy to play badly and win. 

Harkins the difference. Hopefully that gets mentioned every week this season. As i say a couple more new proven faces to come in and we will compete. Important to get the win today and we did. Gives us a good chance after other results.

Weird game today, very difficult to sum up. Guess it must have been hugely entertaining for any neutrals present. Big relief when the fifth went in. One thing is for sure Dobbie has serious competition for the POTY award.  What a start for Harkins!

I go to games to be entertained.In the first half we were miles off the pace .Against better opposition the game would have been put to bed .NEGATIVELY  ?  as in the first sentence of your post .TAF .
I have no idea what the end of that post means.

Instead of seeing our 5 minute spell as a good spell for us, the predictably Negative Northfield saw it as Stranraer switching off. We were awful for the first 40 minutes but to say the last 5 was down to Stranraer doing poorly is extremely harsh on our side. The last 5 minutes of that first half is the best 5 minutes you'll see from Queens this season. If he can't give the side credit for that then he's as well not going back.

Shipping three goals to Stranraer is a little worrying but it’s WAY too early to start complaining. Winning 5-3 is a great start to the season and we have two more games now against league 2 opposition to hopefully get the defence more solid. Also the reports re Semple are very encouraging!

I would also add that we kept a clean sheet against a Hearts barrage so definitely no need to worry yet. 

50 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

If we ever manage to get Alan Martin fit I’m sure we’ll tighten up at the back.

From memory, Jack Leighfield’s goals against column won’t read too favourably. He must average around 2 goals conceded per game.

I think Alan Martin's got two Saturdays in September pencilled in for when he will be fit to play. 

From memory, Jack Leighfield’s goals against column won’t read too favourably. He must average around 2 goals conceded per game.

Several clean sheets also

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

Who’d be a goalkeeper? You get the blame for everything, whether it’s your fault or not. Young players, especially goalkeepers need support not constant critisism. Leighfield has done well considering he was basically thrown in at the deep end. Yes he’s made mistakes but it happens with all goalkeepers. With the right coaching the lad has got a chance. Martin I believe could be playing against Clyde, as he continues to build up his comeback from injury. Hopefully he will get back fit and both goalkeepers can push each other on

Not really relevant to the game yesterday,   or of any great importance,  but I was wondering why the first three sections of the East Stand have been cordoned off and the home fans are stuck in two central sections.  

1 hour ago, Come on queens said:

Who’d be a goalkeeper? You get the blame for everything, whether it’s your fault or not. Young players, especially goalkeepers need support not constant critisism. Leighfield has done well considering he was basically thrown in at the deep end. Yes he’s made mistakes but it happens with all goalkeepers. With the right coaching the lad has got a chance. Martin I believe could be playing against Clyde, as he continues to build up his comeback from injury. Hopefully he will get back fit and both goalkeepers can push each other on

Whilst it's not necessarily his fault per se, he is certainly a contributory factor.  I'm sure Flash posted average number of goals conceded by Martin and Leighfield respectively last season and the numbers speak for themselves.

Leighfield looks a bright prospect and is still very young for a goalkeeper.  It is simply a position we can't afford to have someone learning the role as they go along though.  If Martin spends much of this season crocked again, and lets face it this looks increasingly likely, I would hope the manager has learned from last season and would try to get a replacement in rather than rely on Leighfield.

This is just ridiculous, new signings, photos of signings, social media posts all over the place, superb new raffles, what are we supposed to moan about now?
Aha, shipping 3 goals to Stranraer, that'll do it

Guest Flash
47 minutes ago, Swarley said:
On 14/07/2018 at 11:29, Swarley said:
This is just ridiculous, new signings, photos of signings, social media posts all over the place, superb new raffles, what are we supposed to moan about now?

Aha, shipping 3 goals to Stranraer, that'll do it

It isn’t shipping 3 goals to Stranraer that is the issue. It is because this is a repeat of the kind of thing we saw last season. Of course, it is hardly surprising that it happened given that Leighfield, Mercer, Marshall and Fordyce were playing and they were all there last season and playing together in the period we were shipping goals for fun. 

It remains to be seen whether Semple coming in will make a difference. It might be similar to when Kerr was playing in that it will improve matters slightly. It will also allow Doyle to move to right back, so that should be an additional improvement, but we will still have Fordyce at CB. Then in January, we will have another of the culprits back.

What we really needed was an entirely new back 4 and either a fit Martin or a new goalkeeper as well. Of course, that was never going to happen. In my view, if the whole team was at the same level as Leighfield, Mercer, Marshall, Brownlie and Fordyce we would go straight down. And might not even stop when we got to League 1.