The Queen of the South thread

12 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Well worth £5 of anybody's money tonight, thoroughly enjoyed that. It's a friendly so can't get too critical but for me there were plenty of positives and negatives.

Negatives

- Another cross defended poorly and a goal conceded as a result. We looked shaky at a few corners as well. Really hope this isn't going to continue this season or I might combust.

- Our persistence to go long. We got a goal from it tonight but more often than not it came to nothing. Dykes isn't the kind of player who can pick the ball out the air and bring people into play yet he's being deployed this way. In games where it is completely ineffective the guy will receive pelters all game no doubt.

- Our lack of depth. If/when injuries/suspensions kick in with our better players we could be in serious trouble.

- Really don't want to have a pop but I hope our wide players are mostly Todd and Stirling. Thought Murray looked really out of his depth tonight and after playing so many games last season I think the supporters won't be as forgiving this season and will show their frustration. Definitely a player to keep but he's not up to being a regular starter IMO.

Positives

- Well for me we were comfortably the better side against a Livi team who we struggled against last season.

- When we played the ball on the deck we looked very good. This makes the long ball all the more frustrating.

- We came from 2 down which is a positive shock!

- Some of our link-up play was excellent. Harkins was quiet the first half but he took the game by the scruff of the neck in the second. I think if he turns up we'll always be in a game but if he has an off day our creativity will be seriously lacking from midfield. Dykes took his goal very well.

- We limited Livi's chances. Unfortunately they scored from their only shots on target but at least we kept them down to two.

- I thought Bell put in a decent shift when he came on as well and Mercer looked vastly improved as well.

- Edited to add that our starting 11 (swap Todd for Murray) looks like it won't have a problem competing in the league.

Not sure what to make of the CB trialists. Mainly positive from both. I thought the first half one looked good. Comfortable on the ball, strong in the tackle and won most his headers. The only two negatives were he looked lost for the first goal amd he looks to be carrying a bit of weight but that can obviously be worked on. At the very least I hope he gets another shot but if it was keep or chuck based purely on tonight I'd sign him.

The second half one didn't have as much to do. He dealt with what he had to and was extremely vocal, giving instructions to the other defenders. Another one I hope gets another run out. Would also keep him. I expect it'll be one or the other.

Great report that.  I thought the trialist held the line as the opponent was a mile behind him unfortunately the RB was also a mile behind the line. All things that can be sorted on the training ground. Thought it was a good result against a team from the Premier Division and we also hit the woodwork twice. Positive for the season? I'd say yes

Guest Flash
12 hours ago, Mr X said:

Gus McPherson went mental when the website "outed" a trialist in one of his first pre season games. The trialist was Tam Brighton. Everybody in the ground knew it was Tam Brighton.

If only leaking the name had worked and Irvine Meadow could have snapped him up before us.

38 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Dunfermline put plenty of content out during the off season, interviews with new signings, including the boys we've signed up from the academy, interviews with our sports scientist about pre season and how it's conducted, AJ would give interviews during points in pre season and now we've stared the games he gives an interview every Thursday as well as a post match interview. 

All of that helps keeps you informed and connected with the club, very decent. 

Good for you. Delighted for you. 

Meantime I got back from a week in Portugal last night and headed straight to Palmerston to assist with the game and our Media Officer is still on holiday and not back till midway through the Betfred Cup group. Our social media and website are run by volunteers, all of whom, like me and the Media Officer, have full time jobs elsewhere. 

Comparing us to clubs like Dunfermline and Falkirk off pitch is pointless. We are absolutely a part time club off the pitch. Comparing us to Alloa and Dumbarton is a more reasonable comparison. That said I am conscious Dumbarton do their social media at least better than us.

The new season can't start fast enough imho. I'd rather read about folk whinging about us losing than folk whinging about us not tweeting as much as Barcelona.

The new season can't start fast enough imho. I'd rather read about folk whinging about us losing than folk whinging about us not tweeting as much as Barcelona.
It's all about the scarves!

32 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Meantime I got back from a week in Portugal last night and headed straight to Palmerston to assist with the game and our Media Officer is still on holiday and not back till midway through the Betfred Cup group. Our social media and website are run by volunteers, all of whom, like me and the Media Officer, have full time jobs elsewhere. 

Comparing us to clubs like Dunfermline and Falkirk off pitch is pointless. We are absolutely a part time club off the pitch. Comparing us to Alloa and Dumbarton is a more reasonable comparison. That said I am conscious Dumbarton do their social media at least better than us.

Without you the club just simply wouldn't function .

45 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Good for you, delighted for you. 

No idea why you're getting such a sad on though. The poster I replied to asked, out of interest what media coverage other sides in this division have so I told him what Dunfermline have been doing. 

I can only imagine that you're getting defensive because you know that Queens are run shambolically on that side of things. Evidently you're light on numbers but if you stopped with the "woe is us" attitude you'd realise nearly every club in this division is in the same boat. Outwith our playing staff Dunfermline has five full time members of staff, our "workforce" is almost entirely made up of volunteers, however due to our boards great relationship with the fans it's far easier for them to engage and find volunteers who are good at there respective field, the Qots board won't even allow the trust a seat on the board? A closed shop mentality like that will lead to fans thinking what's the point in putting there services forward. 

Putting information out through the clubs official channels and social media accounts is easy, cheap and not especially time consuming. Someone takes a photograph of Harkins/Any new signing, shaking hands with Naysmith in your training base in Glasgow before a training session, everyone has a mobile phone nowadays. WhatsApp said photo to someone who could then phone Harkins and Naysmith and conduct a quick five minute interview, ask the manager why he's brought Harkins in, where does he see him fitting into his plans, finally ask him about whether he has any more plans to bring in players. Ask Harkins about his memories about playing at Palmerston and against Qots, ask him what he thinks his strengths will be and where he sees Qots challenging. Record this and then collate it into an article when you have some spare time. Put said article up on your website with the earlier photo. 

With today's technology it really isn't difficult, being based in Glasgow certainly isn't an excuse. Just putting simple content like that up, weekly interviews with the manger etc will keep fans ticking over and quite content. 

Edited by Grant228

2 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

No idea why you're getting such a sad on though, I couldn't care less where you've been on holiday or what you done afterwards. The poster I replied to asked, out of interest what media coverage other sides in this division have so I told him what Dunfermline have been doing. 

I can only imagine that you're getting defensive because you know that Queens are run shambolically on that side of things. Evidently you're light on numbers but if you stopped with the "woe is us" attitude you'd realise nearly every club in this division is in the same boat. Outwith our playing staff Dunfermline has five full time members of staff, our "workforce" is almost entirely made up of volunteers, however due to our boards great relationship with the fans it's far easier for them to engage and find volunteers who are good at there respective field, the Qots board won't even allow the trust a seat on the board? A closed shop mentality like that will lead to fans thinking what's the point in putting there services forward. 

Putting information out through the clubs official channels and social media accounts is easy, cheap and not especially time consuming. Someone takes a photograph of Harkins/Any new signing, shaking hands with Naysmith in your training base in Glasgow before a training session, everyone has a mobile phone nowadays. WhatsApp said photo to someone who could then phone Harkins and Naysmith and conduct a quick five minute interview, ask the manager why he's brought Harkins in, where does he see him fitting into his plans, finally ask him about whether he has any more plans to bring in players. Ask Harkins about his memories about playing at Palmerston and against Qots, ask him what he thinks his strengths will be and where he sees Qots challenging. Record this and then collate it into an article when you have some spare time. Put said article up on your website with the earlier photo. 

With today's technology it really isn't difficult, being based in Glasgow certainly isn't an excuse. Just putting simple content like that up, weekly interviews with the manger etc will keep fans ticking over and quite content. 

The job's yours.  When can you start? 

1 minute ago, Grant228 said:

I'd be banging out interviews and changing that sign that everyone complains about. 

#Vote4Grant

Only MT gets wound up by the sign to be fair.   You understand the job doesn't pay but getting to actually be near and talk to Sir Stephen Dobbie you should probably be paying us. 

26 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Only MT gets wound up by the sign to be fair.   You understand the job doesn't pay but getting to actually be near and talk to Sir Stephen Dobbie you should probably be paying us. 

Post of the year .Speak to Billy ,your on the board .

No idea why you're getting such a sad on though. The poster I replied to asked, out of interest what media coverage other sides in this division have so I told him what Dunfermline have been doing. 

Good for you mate. Hope you did a lengthy report & lots of interviews after we pumped you lot 5-2 last season?

1 minute ago, sidofthesouth said:

Good for you mate. Hope you did a lengthy report & lots of interviews after we pumped you lot 5-2 last season?

Aye there was a fair amount of post match content after that game.

Similarly we had a fair after we won  3-1 and got into the playoffs. As a QoTS fan is getting decent social media content a bigger pipe dream than finishing in the playoffs this season?

Aye there was a fair amount of post match content after that game.
Similarly we had a fair after we won  3-1 and got into the playoffs. As a QoTS fan is getting decent social media content a bigger pipe dream than finishing in the playoffs this season?

I think most of us are just hoping to avoid relegation tbh. If we do go down I’ll be avoiding all forms of social media for a while!

3 hours ago, sidofthesouth said:

I think most of us are just hoping to avoid relegation tbh. If we do go down I’ll be avoiding all forms of social media for a while!

I don’t see us being in a relegation battle to be honest. It will probably pan out the same as the last couple of seasons. 

Mind you, if we did get relegated I would imagine The Count would make a reappearance in the seaside league. 

It's too early to say where Queens will end up this season. The size of our playing pool indicates a lower table finish. Communication between the BOD and the fans will probably mean lower crowds again, people are getting pissed off with all the silence. In an age of superb marketing technology we are bottom of the class. I wish some of our "big city" supporters could help raise the bar by volunteering some of their time to help motivate us "country yokels" into being a wee bit more positive.

Out-with our playing staff Dunfermline has five full time members of staff, our "workforce" is almost entirely made up of volunteers, however due to our boards great relationship with the fans it's far easier for them to engage and find volunteers who are good at there respective field, the Qots board won't even allow the trust a seat on the board? A closed shop mentality like that will lead to fans thinking what's the point in putting there services forward. 

Brilliant post. Exactly what the majority of our fans think and feel.

If we could add in 4 quality players our squad would be more than decent. We have the 2 best players in the league already in Dobbie and Harkins. If Dykes and Marsh keep improving then they can supplement them. Then you add in solid players for our level, (Fordyce, Jacobs, Martin, Mercer) and hopefully the versatile Doyle should he sign. Then you have Bell. I know its pre season but I have been very impressed with his confidence and ability. He looks ready to provide useful cover. Stirling can provide more to now he has shed beef. Then we have Brownlie and Todd to come back. So we have a few sensational players and several decent. If we could add the correct signings (hopefully more sensational/decent) then maybe we can have a surprisingly good season.