The Queen of the South thread

23 minutes ago, Flash said:

I very much doubt that the police would show up voluntarily at games when they could insist on having paid for officers there if they wanted to. And you keep mentioning “specials” as though they are free. According to the article, they are £24 per hour. Is that not correct?

In any event, you can’t dispute the numbers which are provided by Police Scotland themselves. So, despite all the supposedly police-free matches, we still have policing costs almost 3 times as much as Dundee United’s and nearly double St.Mirren’s, for example. That seems odd.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/490812/response/1180998/attach/html/2/18 1438 Response.pdf.html

Its far from unheard of for commanders to show up voluntarily at games which are officially police free. Specials have been free prior to the coming season as far as I know.

I havent attempted to dispute any numbers. £13k or so seems slightly high for last season without checking but as I am away on holiday I am in no position to check it. Thistle was certainly the biggest cost game. We also had three home games v United after the abandonment debacle. 

United presumably have limited away crowds and much more significant stewarding costs which will offset. Comparing the costs of policing our crowd at Thistle for instance is pretty unrelated to the cost of policing their crowd at us regardless of the total gate. The size and expected behaviour of away support is more relevant than the total gate.

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Charges for policing are set at a national level but the numbers required are set locally. Everybody in Scotland pays the same rates but not necessarily for the same number of officers. Not everyone you see in uniform is a charged officer, some are specials.

We were police free last season v Brechin, Dumbarton, Livingston, Inverness, Morton and Dunfermline. Matches v St Mirren, Dundee Utd and Falkirk were policed. As of course was the Scottish Cup tie with Thistle.

Its about local risk. Morton were police free for all games except St Mirren. They havent had any issues with United.  We have had issues with Dundee Utd every time they come so we need policed. No idea why they insist on policing Falkirk as cant recall the last issue we had with them.

Very interesting. Out of interest is it only the police who have powers of arrest at the stadium or can the stewards also "locally" arrest. I have no idea by the what the stewards can and cannot do. 

Guest Flash
15 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Its far from unheard of for commanders to show up voluntarily at games which are officially police free. Specials have been free prior to the coming season as far as I know.

I havent attempted to dispute any numbers. £13k or so seems slightly high for last season without checking but as I am away on holiday I am in no position to check it. Thistle was certainly the biggest cost game. We also had three home games v United after the abandonment debacle. 

United presumably have limited away crowds and much more significant stewarding costs which will offset. Comparing the costs of policing our crowd at Thistle for instance is pretty unrelated to the cost of policing their crowd at us regardless of the total gate. The size and expected behaviour of away support is more relevant than the total gate.

I don’t imagine Dundee U, St. Mirren and Falkirk have significantly lower away crowds than we do. And if increased stewarding costs offset the police costs, why do clubs try to minimise the number of police?

However, I imagine I’ll get even less sense out of you than normal with you being on holiday. :P Switch off yor device and relax. 

7 minutes ago, Flash said:

I don’t imagine Dundee U, St. Mirren and Falkirk have significantly lower away crowds than we do. And if increased stewarding costs offset the police costs, why do clubs try to minimise the number of police?

However, I imagine I’ll get even less sense out of you than normal with you being on holiday. :P Switch off yor device and relax. 

Meh sitting in a hotel in Portugal having got out of the pool to drink free beer and watch Sweden v Switzerland on the big screen while checking P&B.  Place will be rammed with English tourists shortly no doubt!

:thumsup2

8 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

Anyone at the friendly tonight?

2-0 to the South Dykes and Dobbie so far. Team Martin, Mercer trialist Fordyce Stirling Harkins Jacobs Murray Dobbie Dykes. 

Josh Todd is he out with a injury not involved in the friendly games so far .
Who was the trialist  center half tonight ?

Naysmith said he had a slight thigh strain (im sure) after Annan game, and he wouldn’t be risked tonight which I think is sensible.

Guy from fife that was reporting, said it was Dean Watson or at least described him.

On 02/07/2018 at 10:30, kleinfaethetoon said:

Some talk here in Perth that the Saints are going to send Kerr back out on loan till Christmas

On 02/07/2018 at 14:36, kleinfaethetoon said:

I only go watch the saints if for some reason I can’t get to see QOS. A friend of mine who has his ears close to the ground all things saints has heard this, bit pie in the sky a million pound for him though !!

Your friend is either winding you up, or you're winding QOS fans up. 

Theres absolutely zero chance Jason Kerr will be at QOS next season. There's zero chance we'll loan him out to any team below us in the league structure. He was our best CH last season and has been watched by numerous English Championship clubs for the past year. 

Your friend is either winding you up, or you're winding QOS fans up. 
Theres absolutely zero chance Jason Kerr will be at QOS next season. There's zero chance we'll loan him out to any team below us in the league structure. He was our best CH last season and has been watched by numerous English Championship clubs for the past year. 

As predicted Zero chance of this happening- what about Liam Gordon?

Just now, Rjc-1988 said:

As predicted Zero chance of this happening- what about Liam Gordon?

It's far more likely but I wouldn't get your hopes up. We've started switching between a back four and back three, and we've only got four senior centre halves if you include Gordon.

Manager has publicly said what he wants and a centre back wasn't on the list. Which suggests he's happy with the defensive options.