The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Who are the Edu players at Championship and League 1 sides btw? I watched them the most when I went to South games as they played the best football and the seethe they generated from opposition players and fans was hilarious.

I know Annan signed one of their CBs and the RWB who always looked good, but I'm not sure it worked out for him. They had a quality CM who was with them the year after as well and an absolute beast of a boy up front. He reminded me of Adebayor in looks and style of play.

I can't remember them of the top of my head but I'm sure the goalkeeper who played for Morton when they played Celtic in the cup was at EDU the season before. Would have to check though. 

I do agree with both your posts though. We're not going to send someone to watch a game like Dalbeattie Star vs Selkirk and think, 'he's a good player for the championship let's get him along.' Whereas Annan probably would. 

Did we not have a similar debate about an Annan forward who played against us a couple of years back, scored a goal. I'm sure he played a number of first team league games at Annan before moving on and I am sure that was to a lower level.

The general opinion is Muir played well and because he did it against us Queens should look at him. Does the same logic apply when we our players have good matches against Livingston and Hearts in next few days that these two teams should be looking to poach our players

I can't remember them of the top of my head but I'm sure the goalkeeper who played for Morton when they played Celtic in the cup was at EDU the season before. Would have to check though. 
I do agree with both your posts though. We're not going to send someone to watch a game like Dalbeattie Star vs Selkirk and think, 'he's a good player for the championship let's get him along.' Whereas Annan probably would. 

I don't think anybody is suggesting that we should send a pack of scouts to Lowland League games but surely we absolutely have to know who the progressive local players are. These are by far the easiest ones to pick up before the vultures circle. As I say we are maybe doing Queens a disservice - they may well have a local talent network that is first class and they have decided that Muir is not good enough.

The boy is a free agent .Why not ask him to trial in a few pre season games ?  or even play in some Reserve games  ? .Give him a go if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out .

He’s definitely worth a trial. We’ve nothing to lose

Short memories guys. Remember a couple o years back a wee livewire called Smart  Osadolor looked quite tasty against us? Many Queens fans were were advocating that we sign him immediately on the basis of one performance in a friendly. Last I heard he left Clyde on a free to join Queens Park. A cautionary tale perhaps.

1 hour ago, Jan mosniack said:

Short memories guys. Remember a couple o years back a wee livewire called Smart  Osadolor looked quite tasty against us? Many Queens fans were were advocating that we sign him immediately on the basis of one performance in a friendly. Last I heard he left Clyde on a free to join Queens Park. A cautionary tale perhaps.

Its a slightly different scenario. A few people on here will have seen Muir quite a bit over the last couple of seasons and aren't basing it solely on the friendly on Saturday. 

If you want to give local players who look a bit alright a try,  it would be much easier if we trained in our local area. Get them in and have them train,  a bounce game or two and see what they are like. As it is, that can't happen because if they work or attend some kind of education they will struggle to attend our training. 

1 hour ago, Spring Onion said:

If you want to give local players who look a bit alright a try,  it would be much easier if we trained in our local area. Get them in and have them train,  a bounce game or two and see what they are like. As it is, that can't happen because if they work or attend some kind of education they will struggle to attend our training. 

That SHOULD  be the benefit of the reserve league. A striker who absolutely destroys a visiting centre half (who is just short of 200 first team games ) .A left winger from Castle Douglas who their opposition  cant get the ball off .  You can find a player in that environment . Trialists at EVERY game .

Edited by weeredbook

19 minutes ago, weeredbook said:

That SHOULD  be the benefit of the reserve league. A striker who absolutely destroys a visiting centre half (who is just short of 200 first team games ) .A left winger from Castle Douglas who their opposition  cant get the ball off .  You can find a player in that environment . Trialists at EVERY game .

Who's the left winger from CD? 

Well considering how depleted our squad is I was abit dissapointed so few trialists were on show. Of the 5 listed one was Bell, one was Exley and the other 3  included a guy whos probably no more than a youth squad filler Watson.  Taylor was pretty awful and Livingstone as Ive said looked decent but surely w could/should be looking at more given how much we need new players. At the end of the day who cares how good/bad they are in these games. As theres nothing to lose we should be looking far and wide to try and see if we can unearth a hidden gem as it looks as though its going to be an almighty struggle with our budget this season. 

Are we expecting more experienced players to play now it is reserves over development?

The name has changed but surely most of the same boys will play as clubs don’t have the extra budget for players.

Will Queens be in with the other FT clubs or still in with the PT ones like the last few years?

45 minutes ago, Brother Grimm said:

Are we expecting more experienced players to play now it is reserves over development?

The name has changed but surely most of the same boys will play as clubs don’t have the extra budget for players.

Will Queens be in with the other FT clubs or still in with the PT ones like the last few years?

Teams from the Premiership ( St.  Johnstone and Livi still to confirm)  along with Partick Th.,  Ross County,  Dunfermline,  Dundee Utd,  Falkirk,  Morton and QoS from the Championship, making 17 teams at present,  will make up the Reserve League.  Games played on Monday afternoons starting go in August.  Not sure about age restrictions.  SD can obviously give more detail. 

5 minutes ago, kleinfaethetoon said:

Some talk here in Perth that the Saints are going to send Kerr back out on loan till Christmas

That would be great cover until Brownlie is fit.  Better if we could keep Kerr longer obvs.  Thought he was doing OK back at Saints tho.