The Queen of the South thread

I thought Harkins went missing for a period in the first half but when he did get the ball he played it with so much ease. I've not been a critic of Dykes but he was awful. Leighfields kicking was poor, Stirling was okay and looks like he'll play a big part this season. Dobbies free-kick was a beauty and I thought we done well down the right hand side. 

One thing I noticed as well was Scott Hooper had a solid game and the boy Muir they've got on trial from Dalbeattie Star was a tidy player. There was times that Annan looked more comfortable on the ball, albeit that was mostly in the second half when we made all those changes. 

3 hours ago, QoS_1919 said:

One thing I noticed as well was Scott Hooper had a solid game and the boy Muir they've got on trial from Dalbeattie Star was a tidy player. There was times that Annan looked more comfortable on the ball, albeit that was mostly in the second half when we made all those changes. 

Tam Muir is Class.  I think he'll do well at Annan.

15 hours ago, Mr X said:

We looked in control while Harkins and Dobbie were on but struggled to get anything going after they went off. The trialist at left back looked decent, more so when he moved to left wing. The centre half was less convincing. The one who started in midfield looked ok, some nice touches but seemed a fairly similar type of player to Harkins. All the subs who came on looked pretty young, none stood out enough to suggest they'd be signing as starters.

Other than that, Harkins strolled it, Dobbie looked sharp but Dykes looked off the pace. Stirling worked hard and had a few nice runs, so be interesting to see if he plays regularly this season. 

No real surprises, to be honest, or much new learnt

Are u sure that midfielder weren't Owen bell. I'm almost certain it was ha. The lb Livingstone and sub Watson in midfield are worth looking at although we are OK at lb. 

Tam Muir is only about 21 as well. Remember we took Scott Milligan on trial? Think it was the season after he scored nearly 80 goals in the south league. There is really good players in the area who are playing in the South and Lowland league, 

This discussion seems to crop up on here every so often. I watched a lot of South games amd some Lowland games a couple of years back and some players stood out. At no point did I think I'd like QoS to take a look at them though. With respect to those divisions, I expect and hope for a far higher standard of player at Queens. I doubt any would cut it at Championship level tbh.

Are u sure that midfielder weren't Owen bell. I'm almost certain it was ha. The lb Livingstone and sub Watson in midfield are worth looking at although we are OK at lb. 
I was also convinced trialist midfielder was Owen Bell.
May well have been, I don't know. Why would he be listed as a trialist though?

43 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

This discussion seems to crop up on here every so often. I watched a lot of South games amd some Lowland games a couple of years back and some players stood out. At no point did I think I'd like QoS to take a look at them though. With respect to those divisions, I expect and hope for a far higher standard of player at Queens. I doubt any would cut it at Championship level tbh.

There's plenty of players in the lowland league who have played with Scottish Premiership and Championship teams on a regular basis, some on loan from them leagues. I know quite a few players who have been at a decent level of football but made the decision to take the step down for their own personal reasons, even after getting an offer from the likes of Morton and Raith. There's been 4/5 players from EDU Sport Academy who 2 championship teams and one League 1 side who have signed. 

When I said there's good players in the area, it wasn't a suggestion that we should sign them. It's just good to see them getring a chance at a higher level. 

1 hour ago, QoS_1919 said:

Tam Muir is only about 21 as well. Remember we took Scott Milligan on trial? Think it was the season after he scored nearly 80 goals in the south league. There is really good players in the area who are playing in the South and Lowland league, 

There is a gap between the two .

Danny Carmichael didn't do too bad coming the East of Scotland league. 
He was always on our radar though, similar to Reilly.

If boys are playing at that level in their 20s and it's as high as they've played you have to assume their's a reason for it. I know a couple of boys in the "what could have been" category but they never managed to make it at a higher level. I think we're in a good position with Annan at the level they're at. They can afford to take a chance on those type of players and see if it works out. If it does then you have to hope we have a good enough relationship to be given the heads up first. Another Imrie story will be extremely rare of course, but it does happen. At our level I don't think we have the luxury of taking a chance on Dalbeattie Star players though. I think if we used a wage on that then there would be a few fans pissed off that the wage couldn't go towards a player of higher quality.

There's plenty of players in the lowland league who have played with Scottish Premiership and Championship teams on a regular basis, some on loan from them leagues. I know quite a few players who have been at a decent level of football but made the decision to take the step down for their own personal reasons, even after getting an offer from the likes of Morton and Raith. There's been 4/5 players from EDU Sport Academy who 2 championship teams and one League 1 side who have signed. 
When I said there's good players in the area, it wasn't a suggestion that we should sign them. It's just good to see them getring a chance at a higher level. 

Who are the Edu players at Championship and League 1 sides btw? I watched them the most when I went to South games as they played the best football and the seethe they generated from opposition players and fans was hilarious.

I know Annan signed one of their CBs and the RWB who always looked good, but I'm not sure it worked out for him. They had a quality CM who was with them the year after as well and an absolute beast of a boy up front. He reminded me of Adebayor in looks and style of play.

He was always on our radar though, similar to Reilly.

If boys are playing at that level in their 20s and it's as high as they've played you have to assume their's a reason for it. I know a couple of boys in the "what could have been" category but they never managed to make it at a higher level. I think we're in a good position with Annan at the level they're at. They can afford to take a chance on those type of players and see if it works out. If it does then you have to hope we have a good enough relationship to be given the heads up first. Another Imrie story will be extremely rare of course, but it does happen. At our level I don't think we have the luxury of taking a chance on Dalbeattie Star players though. I think if we used a wage on that then there would be a few fans pissed off that the wage couldn't go towards a player of higher quality.

I can see both sides of this debate - the gulf in standard is enormous but that doesn't mean that individual players can't step up now and again. I haven't seen the Annan player in question so I can't comment on him.

I agree that in our financial predicament you wouldn't want to be offering players like Muir a full time contract unless you were pretty sure that you had unearthed a gem. That said a player at 21 who has had a decent number of competitive games in Lowland League and who has excelled arguably has a lot more to offer than a Dev player who has not been exposed to proper competition. If at 21 a player like Muir was prepared to give himself a year to prove his worth on a modest FT contract then it may be worth pursuing.

On the earlier subject of Danny Carmichael - is he looking at options or is he sadly "hanging up his boots"?

2 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I can see both sides of this debate - the gulf in standard is enormous but that doesn't mean that individual players can't step up now and again. I haven't seen the Annan player in question so I can't comment on him.

I agree that in our financial predicament you wouldn't want to be offering players like Muir a full time contract unless you were pretty sure that you had unearthed a gem. That said a player at 21 who has had a decent number of competitive games in Lowland League and who has excelled arguably has a lot more to offer than a Dev player who has not been exposed to proper competition. If at 21 a player like Muir was prepared to give himself a year to prove his worth on a modest FT contract then it may be worth pursuing.

On the earlier subject of Danny Carmichael - is he looking at options or is he sadly "hanging up his boots"?

As usual nail on the head Rjc .The lad is head and shoulders above anyone we have at Dev .

As usual nail on the head Rjc .The lad is head and shoulders above anyone we have at Dev .

Reading between the lines from earlier posts that is certainly the inference.

I would rather see us grabbing a couple like him and giving them an opportunity on modest terms. Depending on how much confidence they have in their own ability the players will decide whether it is worth the short term risk or not.

I would say that if Muir is good enough to be a first team regular at Annan in his first season it follows logically that at the very least he is good enough to be in our squad offering competition and cover for injuries etc.