The Queen of the South thread

2 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

How does it take us that long to sign a player ?.

Doyle would be perfect for us but it seems Naysmith and the board take forever to sign a player .

I realise money is very tight but other clubs like Morton just identify a player they want then go and sign him .

Do you get paid to mention our finances in every post? 

6 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

Doyle would be perfect for us but it seems Naysmith and the board take forever to sign a player .

I realise money is very tight but other clubs like Morton just identify a player they want then go and sign him .

Yep let`s spunk our very limited budget without having a proper look at the player. He sounds good for us but can presumably train with the team or even play in one or both of the friendlies we have between now and Tuesday. We have no idea how long other clubs take to sign a player. You do realise we signed 2 very decent players weeks ago. It`s unlikely we were the only teams interested in them but don`t let that stem your seemingly endless stream of negativity.

Doyle would be a good signing for Queens. Defensively solid enough and will run all day. He is also willing to get forward but as others have said his ability to beat a player and out a good ball into the box is limited. Our problem last season was Duffy relying on him to be our main attacking on the right which wasn't fair on him at all. Play him at right back with a natural right midfielder in front and he'll do well.

13 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

Do you ever put forward suggestions of how the club could be better run and be bigger and better? 

I would also ask, again, to stop posting such negative posts. No one minds the odd one but months and months of negativity gets on peoples nerves. The season hasnt eve started yet. God help us if we find ourselves in the relegation area. 

Cheer up

16 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

Jeez, the concept of negotiation is something totally alien to you isnt it? If you were in charge it would be "We would like to sign you, how much would you like?" Of course the entire budget would be spent on the first three players but at least it would all be done nice and quickly, eh.

Sometimes these things take time. Sometimes they happen really quickly believe it or not. 

I have no idea if we are talking to Doyle or not. He certainly wouldnt be a bad option. We need a centre back far more urgently though.

16 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

McKinnon has been speaking to Denny Johnstone since before he was even appointed manager over a month ago and we only signed him this week.

It may look that way to you but id imagine McKinnon needs to work just as hard as GN to get players in, its just we had to sign more than most as we only had 4 signed players when he took over!

41 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Jeez, the concept of negotiation is something totally alien to you isnt it? If you were in charge it would be "We would like to sign you, how much would you like?" Of course the entire budget would be spent on the first three players but at least it would all be done nice and quickly, eh.

Sometimes these things take time. Sometimes they happen really quickly believe it or not. 

I have no idea if we are talking to Doyle or not. He certainly wouldnt be a bad option. We need a centre back far more urgently though.

Doyle can play centre half as well. Wouldn't be happy with him as first choice but decent enough back up.

I understand BOTH sides of the argument .We haven't loads of money ,we have to tread carefully .

Players will be scrambling about shortly not having got what they thought by holding out .Some of them would blow our budget .The manager needs players who are adaptable .

Its close season. Volunteers need a break away from it all, to focus on family, so they can get away with all sorts during the long season ahead.

All that said the P.R. is poor .We hear  nothing from the chairman .Rumour is he wants out .

Edited by weeredbook

It saddens me deeply about our society when a football player's Twitter ability is seen as an attribute.

Granted it does seem a weird thing to mention. But some people value what the player is like as a person/character and whether he will be a good influence in the dressing room or a disruptive one.

When most players' twitter posts are predominantly 'Mon the sellick/gers' it's nice to have ones that break that mould and the content of his tweets, particularly post match, give an insight into what he is like in the dressing room as a motivator of the team.

But if that's not your bag that's fine. All you need to know is he is good defensively, runs all day, can't cross a ball.

Granted it does seem a weird thing to mention. But some people value what the player is like as a person/character and whether he will be a good influence in the dressing room or a disruptive one.

When most players' twitter posts are predominantly 'Mon the sellick/gers' it's nice to have ones that break that mould and the content of his tweets, particularly post match, give an insight into what he is like in the dressing room as a motivator of the team.

But if that's not your bag that's fine. All you need to know is he is good defensively, runs all day, can't cross a ball.
I'm just someone who doesn't 'get' this social media generation. I'm aware of the irony given where I'm posting!

I don't particularly care what someone is like off the pitch if they do a job fot us on the pitch. Lyle has gained legendary status at our club but I imagine I wouldn't want to be in his company away from the pitch. I can see why it would upset some fans if their players were posting about who they support (particularly if it was one of the manky mobs) but folk can't be in a bubble and think their players don't support other clubs. Again, as long as they're performing well for my club I couldn't care.

I expect many will enjoy that side to the game (the world even!) now but it's just a personal thing that I really couldn't care.

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I don't particularly care what someone is like off the pitch if they do a job fot us on the pitch. Lyle has gained legendary status at our club but I imagine I wouldn't want to be in his company away from the pitch. 

Very much this .

Just now, gogs said:
33 minutes ago, Qos88 said:
2-1 ht Dobbie double Harkins strolled it 4 trialists in squad

Any idea who the trialists are

Young scot Cameron Taylor centre back at Huddersfield  & lb from Motherwell. 

18 minutes ago, gogs said:
50 minutes ago, Qos88 said:
2-1 ht Dobbie double Harkins strolled it 4 trialists in squad

Any idea who the trialists are

I am not there but I would presume Charlie Exley is one. FIFA wont let us sign him till he turns 18 later this month so he is listed as a trialist for now.

22 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Results are meaningless in friendlies, I prefer to know how we looked. Anyone care to give their analysis? :)

We looked in control while Harkins and Dobbie were on but struggled to get anything going after they went off. The trialist at left back looked decent, more so when he moved to left wing. The centre half was less convincing. The one who started in midfield looked ok, some nice touches but seemed a fairly similar type of player to Harkins. All the subs who came on looked pretty young, none stood out enough to suggest they'd be signing as starters.

Other than that, Harkins strolled it, Dobbie looked sharp but Dykes looked off the pace. Stirling worked hard and had a few nice runs, so be interesting to see if he plays regularly this season. 

No real surprises, to be honest, or much new learnt