The Queen of the South thread

Has Jordan Marshall signed for anybody yet? If we (and he) are still searching about, surely (unless we're too proud to ask) a deal could be mutually reached to re-sign him?

I may be wrong but I suspect that the main issue for Jordan is geography. He has done a vast amount of travelling for modest income - he probably did this to try and get on the football ladder in the hope of a decent upgraded move. With no disrespect to any other Championship side a move to a Falkirk/Dunfermline etc is not solving the geography and the financial compensation is hardly going to be a game changer.

Probably more likely to see him head closer to home or down south but if he can't secure an up graded move he may decide that full time football for modest income plus travelling is simply not worth the hassle.

I hope I'm wrong but I think we will really struggle to replace him with someone of equal ability. I dread the prospect of us shuttling Mercer to LB but I suspect that will be an option depending on how other recruitment pans out.

Talbot is possibly available but his disciplinary record needs no introduction here so not a prospect that will appeal to many.

That being said LB is a position that GN should know what to look for given his own career pedigree.

15 hours ago, virginton said:

If you weren't spunking your budget on a has-been like Dobbie then you could  afford to have a decent team instead. 

Ha,ha. You were creaming yourself over Gavin Gunning.  Apparently the best player Morton have had in decades. Yet he left you to play in the English diddy league. Even then he was released after a season. He could only dream of cleaning Dobbie’s boots.

14 games for Grimsby Town. Me and you would get more games for them.

Admit it VT, you be over the moon if you had Dobbie in your team.

Edited by qos_75

21 hours ago, football maniac said:

Ballantyne impressed during his trial at us but the Daily Record reports hes set to go part time at Dumbarton instead

Why when we had the chance did we not just sign Ballantyne .

Why bring him in in trial according to Montrose fans he was outstanding for them .

Then he does well on trial then we still don't offer him a deal Ballantyne then gets offered a part time contract at Dumbarton no trial can't gamble on us offering him anything so he signs for Dumbarton .

Have to hope Naysmith has better lined up time will tell 

Why bring him in in trial according to Montrose fans he was outstanding for them .
Then he does well on trial then we still don't offer him a deal Ballantyne then gets offered a part time contract at Dumbarton no trial can't gamble on us offering him anything so he signs for Dumbarton .

Shut up

40 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

The fact that he (Ballantyne)  prefers a deal at a part-time League 1 club maybe tells you more about the players ambition/attitude than it does about Naysmith's failure to sign him. Did he do well on trial,  how do you know? Montrose fans may be complimentary about the player,  that doesn't mean he would necessarily fit in with Naysmith's plans. Maybe Naysmith wanted more time to assess the player and the player wasn't prepared to wait.  No doubt you would be one of the first on here to slate the Manager if he signed him and he turned out to be a misfit. Everyone accepts that the player budget is tight which means the Manager has to be sure he is not wasting any of it.  He will stand or fall by his judgment and if he fails you can at least have the satisfaction of coming on here with the "I told you so's".  Minus any punctuation of course. 

O/T: Article about James Fowler in today's Sunday Mail. 

So just under 3 weeks until the start of a new season and not a lot of good vibes or exciting noises coming from the club so far. How do you rate the comings and goings so far and what's a priority before we start our first game. A couple at the back? Maybe we are waiting for some teams returning from the world cup group stages and then we will kick on with some signings. :unsure:

6 minutes ago, Spring Onion said:

So just under 3 weeks until the start of a new season and not a lot of good vibes or exciting noises coming from the club so far. How do you rate the comings and goings so far and what's a priority before we start our first game. A couple at the back? Maybe we are waiting for some teams returning from the world cup group stages and then we will kick on with some signings. :unsure:

A complete defence.. 

We have lots of work to do before the season starts. Right now our team would be Gk Martin, Lb Mercer (if hes fit yet) Cb Fordyce, Cb Harvey, Lb Gourlay,  Lm Stirling, Rm Murray, Cm Harkins, Cm Jacobs, Striker Dykes, Striker Dobbie. Subs Leighfield, Fergusson, Bell, Tremble and 3 others. My days we will need to be busy. Will be attending Galabank next saturday with interest as there surely will be loads of trialists. 

55 minutes ago, football maniac said:

We have lots of work to do before the season starts. Right now our team would be Gk Martin, Lb Mercer (if hes fit yet) Cb Fordyce, Cb Harvey, Lb Gourlay,  Lm Stirling, Rm Murray, Cm Harkins, Cm Jacobs, Striker Dykes, Striker Dobbie. Subs Leighfield, Fergusson, Bell, Tremble and 3 others. My days we will need to be busy. Will be attending Galabank next saturday with interest as there surely will be loads of trialists. 

You've missed Josh Todd. Mercer is fit as far as I know.

7 hours ago, Brother Grimm said:

Surely the boy from Dundee U/Montrose has made the decision to go PT himself? Work/studying opportunities?

Northfield will still make out its Naysmith's fault that part-time suited the player.

On 6/23/2018 at 12:14, QoS_1919 said:

For being a has-been, scoring about 50 goals in 2 season's isn't too bad is it? 

On 6/23/2018 at 12:18, Doonhamer doon south said:

Has been top goalscorer who helped keep queens above your goodselves and out of trouble. Not a bad investment i would say.

In the last two seasons Morton have made the promotion play-offs and reached the semi-finals of the League Cup - a pretty major money-spinner for any club at this level. The most that Queens can show for it is, err... 'we finished 6th, got papped out of every cup early doors and didn't get relegated' - congrats on that utter mediocrity. You failed to reach any credible targets in both seasons and will be absolutely nowhere near the promotion mix again this time round.

That's an absolutely terrible investment then, that also goes some way to explaining why you can't compete with the rest of the division in signing other targets. 

6 minutes ago, virginton said:

In the last two seasons Morton have made the promotion play-offs and reached the semi-finals of the League Cup - a pretty major money-spinner for any club at this level. The most that Queens can show for it is, err... 'we finished 6th, got papped out of every cup early doors and didn't get relegated' - congrats on that utter mediocrity. You failed to reach any credible targets in both seasons and will be absolutely nowhere near the promotion mix again this time round.

That's an absolutely terrible investment then, that also goes some way to explaining why you can't compete with the rest of the division in signing other targets. 

281017%2039%20dobbie%20celebrates%20his%