The Queen of the South thread

16 minutes ago, JessieField said:

How does the loan system work next season Skyline?

As I understand it:

There are no emergency loans any longer EXCEPT for a goalkeeper and then only on a week by week basis with a Doctor's certificate to show genuine injury or illness.

All loans are now what was previously described as a Development Loan which means the player on loan can play 1st team only for the borrowing club but can play reserves for the lending club also. No age restrictions on loans.

All loans are to be window to window.

Maximum of 4 loans at once (one from any club in the same division and two at most from a club in another division).

League 1 & 2 clubs can bring in a loan player in September and February also, effectively a one month extension on both windows. We can't bring one in outside a window but we could lend one out downwards obviously.

None of this affects international loans which are technically temporary releases since their Registration moves unlike domestic loans where the registration doesn't move. So you can still have half a dozen loans from England if you want.

So we can have up to 4 domestic loans at a time of any age. It's not all that different to last season other than the inability to bring in emergency loans. What it probably means is we can't so readily afford to allow our young fringe players out on loan as they might be needed to cover the first team as you can't go out and get someone else in to do that. We had 6 domestic loans in the second half of last season (Thomas, Thomson, Todorov, Lyle, Todd, Beerman) so we wouldn't have been allowed to bring in Todd if the rules had existed last year. We'd probably have been able to get Lyle in as Martin was injured, albeit he played once at Morton.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I got "agitated" specifically at pammy cammy's comment about lacking "joined up thinking" as he recommended something we've been doing since about 7 years before he suggested it. I haven't commented on your posts at all. I made my point to him and left it.

For what it's worth though, notwithstanding the lack of logos on them, probably because they tend to be published very quickly post match, any filming by Malcolm is sponsored by Wilsons who provide the equipment to do it. This includes post match interviews.

There is no sponsorship of the live updates, you're right. At this precise moment though there are also no Live Updates as the individual who did them last year won't be doing them moving forward. Whilst it's a fair point that we've probably never tried to sell sponsorship of them, we basically can't do so while we don't necessarily have a product to sell.

We don't generally do a lot with online advertising. The website carries basically the adverts the SPFL and SFA require it to carry along with one for BDS (new stand sponsors) and one for SSAFA which I think is there on a charitable basis but it may be linked to their hoardings both in the Arena and at Palmerston (not sure). Other than BDS it doesn't carry commercial advertising. The Facebook page doesn't either. I'm not on Twitter or Instagram but not conscious we promote anything digitally there either. Personally I'm quite pleased about that but fair enough, it's an area we could actively look at better. I do suspect though that it's unlikely the pool of advertising cash would get any bigger. It would likely just see people move away from programme ads and hoardings towards online ones if it was more widely available.

Just to be clear my initial post wasn't intended to come across as a dig at the club, but was in response to Monkey Tennis who commented that extra sponsorship was akin to us selling our soul.  I then made two off the cuff suggestions that I didn't think equated to "selling our soul", and that would actually benefit all parties concerned.  It was then pointed out that one of the suggestions is already implemented and has been for a long time, and not at the cost of anyone's soul as far as I am aware.  Great!  I stand corrected on that one, well done Alex Wilson for the gesture and well done whoever organised it all.

I think I've commented before that I don't envy your position on this forum, as "unofficial, official spokesman".  As one of the few, or possibly only, posters with any great insight to the goings on at the club you probably feel obliged to highlight when people are talking rubbish.  One of the primary purposes of forums such as this is for talking rubbish though so it's a thankless task.

There are one or two trolls, but in the main we're all in it for the same reasons and any criticism or suggestions are meant with the best intentions of trying to improve the club's fortunes.  We all know we have a small budget and a small fan base and a small number of non-playing staff and volunteers.  That's why maximising what we do have is so important.

Guest Flash
1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I got "agitated" specifically at pammy cammy's comment about lacking "joined up thinking" as he recommended something we've been doing since about 7 years before he suggested it. I haven't commented on your posts at all. I made my point to him and left it.

Only quoting the relevant part of your post as the rest of it is fair enough.

Although you didn’t comment on my posts, you also didn’t just make your point to pammy cammy. You referred to “the way people go on”. As pammy cammy and I were the only ones “going on” about online sponsorship (and I had instigated it) following the post by the Dunfermline fan, I think it was fairly reasonable to conclude that your comment was intended to include me. Certainly looked like a comment applying to more than just pammy cammy.

On 12/06/2018 at 10:56, Skyline Drifter said:

You were also desperate to suggest the commercial dept of lacking the "joined up thinking" to organise such a thing though. The way people go on you'd think people at the club sit on their fingers wondering what to do with their day until someone who knows much better points them in the right direction!

Not a big deal. But maybe take better aim next time. :)

5 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Just to be clear my initial post wasn't intended to come across as a dig at the club, but was in response to Monkey Tennis who commented that extra sponsorship was akin to us selling our soul.  I then made two off the cuff suggestions that I didn't think equated to "selling our soul", and that would actually benefit all parties concerned.  It was then pointed out that one of the suggestions is already implemented and has been for a long time, and not at the cost of anyone's soul as far as I am aware.  Great!  I stand corrected on that one, well done Alex Wilson for the gesture and well done whoever organised it all.

I think I've commented before that I don't envy your position on this forum, as "unofficial, official spokesman".  As one of the few, or possibly only, posters with any great insight to the goings on at the club you probably feel obliged to highlight when people are talking rubbish.  One of the primary purposes of forums such as this is for talking rubbish though so it's a thankless task.

There are one or two trolls, but in the main we're all in it for the same reasons and any criticism or suggestions are meant with the best intentions of trying to improve the club's fortunes.  We all know we have a small budget and a small fan base and a small number of non-playing staff and volunteers.  That's why maximising what we do have is so important.

Yes, I get that. And I know it was meant constructively as most of your posts are (and Flash's on the subject also were). However, I make no apology for bristling particularly at the "joined up thinking" remark which very much read as a dig at the existing arrangements when you went on to suggest something we've been doing for years and clearly hadn't even looked to check it first (the archived highlights mostly have Wilson's logo on them, I know because I went to double check after I read your post and before I replied to it). It was so long ago incidentally that I think Eric Moffat actually first organised it when he was still Secretary and we were still in the SFL. It may have seen renewed equipment at some point since though. Not sure, Malcolm will know obviously.

There are incidentally also bins on the terrace already too (not as far as I know sponsored). You can't unfortunately make people use them though!

6 minutes ago, Flash said:

Only quoting the relevant part of your post as the rest of it is fair enough.

Although you didn’t comment on my posts, you also didn’t just make your point to pammy cammy. You referred to “the way people go on”. As pammy cammy and I were the only ones “going on” about online sponsorship (and I had instigated it) following the post by the Dunfermline fan, I think it was fairly reasonable to conclude that your comment was intended to include me. Certainly looked like a comment applying to more than just pammy cammy.

Not a big deal. But maybe take better aim next time. :)

I can see how you read it that way but I wasn't specifically talking about online sponsorship (and cammy's post which also involved bins wasn't limited to it). There have been plenty of posts in the last week or so about not organising photos with scarves and general pr. I was more referring to that.

There's a massive area of untapped potential for advertising and sponsorship. Its slap bang in the middle of Palmerston, about 8,400 square yards in size, bright green....

palmy.png

Gary Irvive has a choice to make  Head back up to the Highlands sign for either Ross County or Inverness or sign for Queens wonder what he will choose  time will tell 

Really?

How underwhelming.

11 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

Gary Irvive has a choice to make  Head back up to the Highlands sign for either Ross County or Inverness or sign for Queens wonder what he will choose  time will tell 

if that's an indication of the standard  we are after, its not looking good .