The Queen of the South thread

2 minutes ago, KingfaetheSooth said:

There's an argument that Gretna and their subsequent implosion was instrumental in giving Queens the impetus  to be more successful and compete at a higher level and indeed raise the clubs' profile locally and nationally. The fans came together in a way that they have possibly not done before or since and I'm sure that Gretna trying to poach fans from Dumfries with the likes of free tickets via their community programme also made the custodians of the club  more determined to take the club forward building on the work of Norman Blount.  Was certainly interesting times. 

I don't think that's an argument at all, I think it's a fact. We wouldn't be where we are now without Gretna most likely and we certainly wouldn't have reached a Cup Final and into Europe without Gretna having tempted the likes of Stevie Tosh and Neil Macfarlane to this area in the first place.

For all I hated what Gretna under Mileson stood for, they were ultimately a vital piece in our own progression.

12 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I don't think that's an argument at all, I think it's a fact. We wouldn't be where we are now without Gretna most likely and we certainly wouldn't have reached a Cup Final and into Europe without Gretna having tempted the likes of Stevie Tosh and Neil Macfarlane to this area in the first place.

For all I hated what Gretna under Mileson stood for, they were ultimately a vital piece in our own progression.

I don't think it feasible to deal in facts in such matters. You said "most likely" yourself.  Good point about Tosh and Macfarlane.  Without opening up the "training in the central belt" debate, attracting players has often been difficult for Queens due to location. 

Always thought there was a market for a book looking at Gretna's fall and demise and how it impacted Scottish football. I realise the was a TV programme and a Gretna book circa 2005, but there has not been anything more definitive as far as I'm aware. 

15 minutes ago, KingfaetheSooth said:

Always thought there was a market for a book looking at Gretna's fall and demise and how it impacted Scottish football. I realise the was a TV programme and a Gretna book circa 2005, but there has not been anything more definitive as far as I'm aware. 

I'll admit to not having read the book, but I believe that both projects were subject to pretty heavy  editorial 'guidance' from the club itself.  There was no chance we were ever going find out the true dirt on the murkier goings-on at Raydale!! 

As you say, there's definitely marketspace for a talented writer to take on the Gretna story and make a really decent read out of it.  Either that, or Robert Duvall should buy the film rights and just lightly rehash the plot from Brewster's Millions.... ;) 

39 minutes ago, BigRubberFist said:

I'll admit to not having read the book, but I believe that both projects were subject to pretty heavy  editorial 'guidance' from the club itself.  There was no chance we were ever going find out the true dirt on the murkier goings-on at Raydale!! 

As you say, there's definitely marketspace for a talented writer to take on the Gretna story and make a really decent read out of it.  Either that, or Robert Duvall should buy the film rights and just lightly rehash the plot from Brewster's Millions.... ;) 

I read the book a few months back. Here's my review. It starts from about the November of the season they won the first division.

On 18/02/2018 at 19:07, Stu said:

Just finished this. Laughably bad in places, and not just with the benefit of hindsight. The author was a Ross County fan but becomes a Gretna fan, even though it means his team going down at the end of the season. Lots of "Woe is me, think of my book" stuff as well when Gretna threaten to bottle it.

"If Gretna can somehow drag themselves over the finish line it will be the most astonishing achievement in the history of the game" must be one of the most hilarious lines ever printed. Also some great stuff elsewhere in the book from Alexander claiming the press has it in for Gretna and they're achieving everything through hard work and certainly not by spending money.

1 hour ago, Bluenortherner said:

Would like to see Carlisle for our centenary game.

image.jpeg.39a8c0a35d87c5fc4fe0f0c8dfeff803.jpeg

Get them back to Palmerston for the third leg.

Edited by TeeMan

31 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
51 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:
I'm trying to think of short legends that would get into the team.

Brian McLaughlin.

Good shout.

Derek Townsley could captain the tall legends team they take on.

9 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I can think of a goalkeeper who was unusually short, but I wasn't his biggest fan.

He was only unusually short for a keeper and even then about the same height as David Mathieson. He wasnt unusually short for a footballer.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He was only unusually short for a keeper and even then about the same height as David Mathieson. He wasnt unusually short for a footballer.

Yes, I did mean for a goalkeeper.

Obviously enough.

9 hours ago, TeeMan said:

image.jpeg.39a8c0a35d87c5fc4fe0f0c8dfeff803.jpeg

Get them back to Palmerston for the third leg.

Sorry to say I wouldn’t find that remotely interesting. Too long ago and I was at both games.  And let’s face it they were a bigger pull for us than we were for them. Seen it, done it for me and for Nordsjaelland as well i’m fairly sure. The problem as I see it is that any big English teams would likely send a young squad and any smaller teams wouldn’t be enough of a draw to make it worthwhile.  Unless the board can spin something good,  call in some real kind of  favour I can only see a bit of a damp squib tbh, especially if the aim is to bring in new punters. 

Edited by louisxiv