The Queen of the South thread

Ah well it's the Premiership who'll have to suffer watching Livi players rolling about feigning injury, chasing the ref to get opposition players booked and generally not serving up silky soccer. That being said they were effective today, but won't miss them!

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Tbf I think he was meaning over 2 games. If Thistle do indeed do well then there is a good possibility they'll bring over 1000 both times.

This. Its perfectly clear he meant over two games and its certainly possible a home game with Thistle might get a 2500 crowd though I suspect it might be slightly optimistic.

Ah well it's the Premiership who'll have to suffer watching Livi players rolling about feigning injury, chasing the ref to get opposition players booked and generally not serving up silky soccer. That being said they were effective today, but won't miss them!

I wish we had players feigning injury who chase the ref and who don't dish up silky soccer!

43 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

This. Its perfectly clear he meant over two games and its certainly possible a home game with Thistle might get a 2500 crowd though I suspect it might be slightly optimistic.

Yes I was meaning close to 5000 over the two games double what we would get if we played Livi over the two games .

If Queens are in the top 4 all season all the stay at home fans will be back amazing what you say when you have had two many drinks !!!

Guest Flash
15 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

Hopefully my odd approach will mean that Naysmith should have a bigger budget .Two home games v Livi be lucky to get 2500 Two homes games with Partick we should  get close to 5000 .

Naysmith may get a bigger budget, but so will every other manager in the league. Thistle will take more fans than Livi everywhere. So, relatively speaking, it makes no difference. And as Thistle will receive much bigger prize money than Livi, plus a £500k parachute payment, in theory they should be much stronger than the rest of the teams in the league, bar County who have huge external funding. Basically, on paper, Thistle coming down reduces our chances of going up.

Eta the difference between Thistle's prize money plus parachute and Livi's prize money will be about £1 million.

Edited by Flash

13 hours ago, BeeJay said:

received_10214996471081969.gif

32 minutes ago, Flash said:

Naysmith may get a bigger budget, but so will every other manager in the league. Thistle will take more fans than Livi everywhere. So, relatively speaking, it makes no difference. And as Thistle will receive much bigger prize money than Livi, plus a £500k parachute payment, in theory they should be much stronger than the rest of the teams in the league, bar County who have huge external funding. Basically, on paper, Thistle coming down reduces our chances of going up.

I would think Thistle, given the money the Weirs throw in there annually now, are probably better externally funded than County are, though I'm not sure how ring fenced much of it is towards their youth academy. No idea how certain any future funding from them is though which is somewhat different from County being funded by their owner.

Guest Flash

2 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I would think Thistle, given the money the Weirs throw in there annually now, are probably better externally funded than County are, though I'm not sure how ring fenced much of it is towards their youth academy. No idea how certain any future funding from them is though which is somewhat different from County being funded by their owner.

Yeah, the point was really more about the difference between Livi and Thistle. In terms of our chances, I don't think Thistle or County coming down is a cause for celebration.  Obviously, if people are more interested in atmosphere at the games and good away days than they are in promotion, that's up to them. And I also appreciate that Livi achieved promotion on a low budget, but they are the exception rather than the rule. I suspect if they hadn't been promoted, the chances of them retaining their manager to have another go at it this season would have been very low.

2 minutes ago, Flash said:

Yeah, the point was really more about the difference between Livi and Thistle. In terms of our chances, I don't think Thistle or County coming down is a cause for celebration.  Obviously, if people are more interested in atmosphere at the games and good away days than they are in promotion, that's up to them. And I also appreciate that Livi achieved promotion on a low budget, but they are the exception rather than the rule. I suspect if they hadn't been promoted, the chances of them retaining their manager to have another go at it this season would have been very low.

Agreed generally, though I'm not sure about Hopkin. He may have decided to show the loyalty to them that they showed him when he took them down. Guess it would depend what else was on offer.

I'd certainly rather Thistle had come down than County given the traveling but we got both. Thistle coming down instead of Livi doesn't do us any favours except raising the profile of the division a little bit. A lot will depend on how much change Thistle make and whether they stick with Archibald. I suspect they'll be there or thereabouts at the top if they stick with him. If they change everything then they may take a while to find their feet as Inverness did.

3 minutes ago, jakeyman said:

Top seeded teams in the South section for the forthcoming league cup group stage. Hamilton, Partick, Motherwell, Kilmarnock.

who do we fancy in our group?

Not sure it matters all that much. On the basis we'll be seeing Thistle four times in the League anyway, probably not them. Motherwell and Kilmarnock will both presumably be better than Hamilton but we had Hamilton last year and haven't had those two in years. It's more than a decade since we played Motherwell. Both would bring slightly bigger gates than Hamilton whether we played them home or away.

Top seeded teams in the South section for the forthcoming league cup group stage. Hamilton, Partick, Motherwell, Kilmarnock.

Not Thistle. But it'll be Thistle.

17 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Thistle do as they did last time they were relegated from the top flight. I'm not too concerned that it is them coming down.

I can see Partick struggle also, most teams do when relegated and some get worse. They are a mess of a team and deserve to come down, I had to laugh watching the highlights later on again and the commentators go on about playing the Thistle way.

As far as budgets mentioned with parachute payments and Roys cash at County, this league doesnt always comply to having the biggest budget = championship winners or even position in the table, only Hibs and Rangers in recent years does that apply to

2 hours ago, jakeyman said:

The draw's on Friday at 6.30pm, my stab in the dark will be away to Kilmarnock!

8 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

They claim they only put money into youth development (Weir Academy and an apparent training ground) and dont put any money into the actual club.