The Queen of the South thread

6 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

We had this discussion before on this thread somewhere I think. I don't think we found a definitive answer but I'm sure the likes of Charlie Johnston in the 1930's was scoring goals when he was 40 or thereabouts. Ivor Broadis may have been 40 also. I expect Iain McCartney or Ian Black would know.

Of the more modern obvious suggestions, Derek Lyle's last goal for us v Montrose was when he was 36 years and 281 days old. I think Tommy Bryce's last goal for us was on 9th May 1998 when he was 38 years and 102 days old.

As far as I am aware Gavin Reilly is our youngest ever goalscorer. His goal on his debut as a sub on 31 July 2010 in a 5-1 win over Dumbarton came when he was 17 years and 82 days old.

Dean brotherston was young when he scored his first. A matter of months between him and reilly? 

18 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

Fergusson has made the biggest impact on the first team since the “golden generation” of Reilly, Holt etc.

He’ll learn far more training with Dobbie and co. every day and making the odd cameo off the bench than he would playing with Annan.

I’d happily sign him up as fourth choice striker.

Totally agree. I think he will get game time especially early on in the cups and will provide a decent third or fourth choice option. I would like us to see our players develop more rather than other clubs players. I really hoping that Thomson comes back to us. I see a half decent team being built for next season and would be fantastic if he was in it. Thomas yes but not as much a priority for me. Are we looking at offering Todd a contract. 

44 minutes ago, QoS_1919 said:

Forgot Reilly was at Gretna on loan. Did Carmichael sign with us but spend a season on loan there as well? Or did he just come straight to us? 

Carmichael was with us as a youth in the Club Academy programme but left and played for Workington and then Gretna before rejoining us. He's never been on loan anywhere.

12 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

Dean brotherston was young when he scored his first. A matter of months between him and reilly? 

Dean was already 19 when he scored against Raith in September 2017, almost two years older than Gavin was. I would think the likes of Andy Thomson was younger than Dean too. Owen Bell this season scored against Inverness just before his 19th birthday. He was younger than Dean too.

19 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

Fergusson has made the biggest impact on the first team since the “golden generation” of Reilly, Holt etc.

Biggest impact of what? If you mean of someone who has come through the Academy programme from younger than 16 then possibly, though Jack Leighfield has far more first team game time than Ross has.  They have departed since but Aidan Smith, Scott Hooper and Dean Brotherston might all argue they made more impact on the first team than Ross has so far.

If we're including those who joined us as professionals already but spent a period in the 20's then I'd probably argue Connor Murray has made a bigger impact and without a shadow of a doubt Lyndon Dykes has made a much bigger impact than any of them.

Which isn't to detract from the point that Ross Fergusson has every chance of being a big player for us if he wants to be.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Carmichael was with us as a youth in the Club Academy programme but left and played for Workington and then Gretna before rejoining us. He's never been on loan anywhere.

Dean was already 19 when he scored against Raith in September 2017, almost two years older than Gavin was. I would think the likes of Andy Thomson was younger than Dean too. Owen Bell this season scored against Inverness just before his 19th birthday. He was younger than Dean too.

Ah fair enough I really thought he was younger than that. 

With the season now finished the Queens Trust would like to say a big thank you to all who have supported us throughout the last year.

We are currently thinking of what the Queens Trust might be able to do next year and in the longer term and would really love to hear all your ideas and thoughts for its future and the role it can play.

The next Queens Trust meeting will be held on the 18th May 2018 at the Queens Arena 7.30pm and it would be great to have lots of suggestions to discuss.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Biggest impact of what? If you mean of someone who has come through the Academy programme from younger than 16 then possibly, though Jack Leighfield has far more first team game time than Ross has.  They have departed since but Aidan Smith, Scott Hooper and Dean Brotherston might all argue they made more impact on the first team than Ross has so far.

If we're including those who joined us as professionals already but spent a period in the 20's then I'd probably argue Connor Murray has made a bigger impact and without a shadow of a doubt Lyndon Dykes has made a much bigger impact than any of them.

Which isn't to detract from the point that Ross Fergusson has every chance of being a big player for us if he wants to be.

Has he been offered a contract do you know? Every guy other than him has either been released, had their loans end, snubbed new deals or signed new deals so he is the only one in the unknown category. Would be nice to hear what is happening with him

Has he been offered a contract do you know? Every guy other than him has either been released, had their loans end, snubbed new deals or signed new deals so he is the only one in the unknown category. Would be nice to hear what is happening with him

In today's standard been offered a deal but is thinking it over

With the season now finished the Queens Trust would like to say a big thank you to all who have supported us throughout the last year.
We are currently thinking of what the Queens Trust might be able to do next year and in the longer term and would really love to hear all your ideas and thoughts for its future and the role it can play.
The next Queens Trust meeting will be held on the 18th May 2018 at the Queens Arena 7.30pm and it would be great to have lots of suggestions to discuss.

Has it been discussed about getting in touch with Stagecoach? I notice in Carlisle the buses have the next 3 United fixtures plastered on the side of the buses. I'm skeptical that anything will increase crowd numbers but it would maybe be worth considering.

You’ve done a great job raising funds for the club and helping promote it throughout the years but not sure where your future lies. Meeting are attending by only a handful of people so I’m told and you actually must wonder if it’s worth the bother.
Time for a major rethink guys

27 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Has it been discussed about getting in touch with Stagecoach? I notice in Carlisle the buses have the next 3 United fixtures plastered on the side of the buses. I'm skeptical that anything will increase crowd numbers but it would maybe be worth considering.

That's a really good idea. 

1 hour ago, football maniac said:

I'm sure the manager said in his post match Brechin interview that he was waiting for answers on offers from Murray, Bell and Fergusson. If not then its certainly in the paper today that he has been offered a contract.

25 minutes ago, kleinfaethetoon said:

At a guess I would say 17 or 18 I mind seeing him scoring a double against Queens Park at Hampden around 1983

Graeme Muir was born on 2nd November 1966. Looking through old programmes it looks like his first goal was in  Skol Cup tie in August 1984. So he would have been 17 but older than Reilly was.

Not yet a week since the end of the season and we're already trawling such obscurities as "when did Graeme Muir score his first goal?". It could be a long, hard close-season for SD's spreadsheets!

(I'm loving the trivia)

Edited by TeeMan

18 minutes ago, TeeMan said:

Not yet a week since the end of the season and we're already trawling such obscurities as "when did Graeme Muir score his first goal?". It could be a long, hard close-season for SD's spreadsheets!

(I'm loving the trivia)

I am conscious I havent posted the update of all time scorers yet either. Havent been on my home pc since it was asked. Will do so soon.

15 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yeah biggest impact wasn't the correct phrase.  What I meant is of all the above you mention he has looked the most comfortable stepping into the first team.  I'm excluding Dykes as he went away and played a season or two in Australia before re-joining us so didn't transition straight from our U20s.

Very often these young boys look very much like young boys when they are thrown into first team action, and look well out of their depth.  That or the game just completely passes them by.  But I thought Fergusson hit the ground running and looked very clued up about the role he was playing.  Granted not everything he tried came off, but I can let him away with that as you at least got the impression he knew what he was trying to do.  The only real criticism was that he visibly tired, generally after an hour or so.  That is easily rectified though, and also indicated the shift he was putting in prior to that.  I'm a big fan as you can probably tell.

Scott Hooper was a curious one.  He never really put a foot wrong in the games I saw him in, and I thought could easily become a solid but unspectacular full-back of Scott Mercer's ilk.  He was a disaster a centre-half but I've seen far worse full-backs over the years.  He was on the books under a few managers though and none really trusted him to start many games so I suppose you have to take something from that.

Leighfield definitely has a chance, although after becoming an unexpected starter this season it will be interesting to see what effect going back to being a bench-warmer will have on his development.  Obviously he is still very young in goalkeeping terms.

I'm yet to be overly impressed by Connor Murray but Gary Naysmith clearly sees something in him.  I don't think his strongest position is out wide but he's never getting near the position behind the strikers while Dobbie is on the books.  In an ideal world we'd probably loan him out but he'll be needed to make up the numbers in the squad I'd imagine.  I've still not seen his supposed wonder goal against Dundee United, but ending the season with that won't have done his confidence any harm.