The Queen of the South thread

Now 8 points clear of Falkirk is that us in 7th in league - Falkirk have St Mirren twice. Should we be looking above us and trying to go above Inverness and maybe Morton at a push. Would be nice to finish with a home win next week

53 minutes ago, queenslad said:

Now 8 points clear of Falkirk is that us in 7th in league - Falkirk have St Mirren twice. Should we be looking above us and trying to go above Inverness and maybe Morton at a push. Would be nice to finish with a home win next week

With St. Mirren having tied up the title they might let standards slip a little so Falkirk have a chance of points there.  I expect ICT to take the majority of points from their remaining games and even catching Morton may be outwith our reach.  It would be good though if Falkirk did struggle in their remaining fixtures and we stayed above them to avoid being labelled the worst full time team in the division. It would be nice to finish off our home fixtures next week  with a positive performance and hopefully a rare home win, and we certainly don't want to slip to an embarrassing defeat up at Brechin. 

Yeah it would be nice,but,can ANYONE see it happening, given this seasons' home form.Let's get back to grass!!

Nowt to do with the pitch. No complaints when we were slaying sevco on it a few years back etc.

48 minutes ago, QosLoyal said:
2 hours ago, Arsene Parcelly said:
Yeah it would be nice,but,can ANYONE see it happening, given this seasons' home form.Let's get back to grass!!

Nowt to do with the pitch. No complaints when we were slaying sevco on it a few years back etc.

Correct.

It's also difficult to lament a relatively low budget; while pining for a return to a grass playing surface.

19 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Correct.

It's also difficult to lament a relatively low budget; while pining for a return to a grass playing surface.

How much income is generated by the artificial pitch surface per year? 

An old guy new to technology! Interesting to note Scott Mercer commenting on the fact that pitch in Dumfries isn't the greatest! Great opportunity to make it an advantage. Keep it dry, get used to it and maybe like days of old when clubs watered their pitches to the point it simply prevented any ability of the better team showing off their skills in a mud bath, you have a recipe for success at home. Though it won't make for an entertaining spectacle and it does mean that the players will have to 'go down' to Dumfries to practice for a 'home' game! But hey, who knows, it may mean a few wins and encourage the Dumfries public to take the club a bit more seriously in terms of ambition. Regardless of what's ahead let's get behind the team on Saturday one last time this season and let's also give Mr Naysmith a resounding endorsement with a sing song. You know the tune, so altogether now, 'We'll win again, don't know how, don't know when, but I know we'll win at home some sunny day....'

Anyone see what Craig Barr has said about his time with us in 2009? When he tore is cruciate he had to pay it himself as the club refused to. He got the PFA involved to recoup but lost the case. He then went on to say that even now, players all over the country are putting their bonuses together to help pay for team mates operation as it's quite a few clubs refusing to pay. 

Alot of you probably already know this, I didn't but thought I'd share it anyway. 

4 minutes ago, kirkyblue2 said:

Can players get insurance for injuries?

Clubs should be paying this I think? This is one thing from Masterton's time with us, he stopped paying the insurance bill then saying that the players were lucky to play for the club at the time.

1 minute ago, Stellaboz said:

Clubs should be paying this I think? This is one thing from Masterton's time with us, he stopped paying the insurance bill then saying that the players were lucky to play for the club at the time.

Very few clubs outside the Premier pay medical insurance for player operations. The costs are prohibitive and they wont cover injuries previously suffered anyway. Its much cheaper to self insure unless you have a very high number of injuries.

Isn't there an NHS in Dumfries? Does Barr think he was playing for AC Milan or something?

Exactly what I was thinking. It was his job to play for queens, which he got paid for. If I got injured at work, I'd have to wait on the nhs to get an operation just like most people.

Can players get insurance for injuries?

I know it's totally different but when I was turning 16 I was given insurance forms by the club I was at (and it wasn't a high level tbh) and told I would need insurance after I was 16.

I'm not sure if the club was lying or if it's still the done thing but the point being I reckon there will be certain or specific companies for insuring players.

Isn't there an NHS in Dumfries? Does Barr think he was playing for AC Milan or something?

Exactly what I was thinking. It was his job to play for queens, which he got paid for. If I got injured at work, I'd have to wait on the nhs to get an operation just like most people.

Like a lot of things related to football I'd say this falls into the "It's different for football" category. I don't think the NHS would be much use in these cases due to the waiting times. I went for my initial appointment about my knees at the start of the year and still haven't had all my referral appointments. I don't think football clubs would be that patient [emoji38]

Not sure where I stand on insurance. On the one hand the players should be taking personal responsibility but on the other hand the club should surely be insuring their 'assets'.

Can't see even us messing up against Brechin. We'll probably beat them 5-0 given it's an away fixture.

Finishing above a powerhouse like Falkirk is good going though and Naysmith warrants another shot at a season with us for accomplishing this.