The Queen of the South thread

I don't understand the negativity towards Leighfield by some fans.  He's an adequate enough keeper for this level of football.  Yes he's made mistakes,  so has Martin and so did Robinson when he was here.  Leighfield has actually pulled off a few remarkable saves in the last three or four games which prevented even more goals against us.  Hypothetical I know,  but would we be any points better off if Robinson was still with us? The problem is what's playing in front of him. 

Agree the problem is the entire defence rather than just simply the keeper. However if you have a keeper who needs protection that’s not a great basis on which to push for the playoffs. FWIW I don’t think Leighfield is ready for the responsibility at this level but also don’t think I’ve seen anything in him that suggests he’s good enough for the Championship. Simply doesn’t look imposing enough. Montrose reserve keeper was better than either of ours when we played them.

Binning Robinson was the correct decision.  Playing Martin whilst injured was the mistake.  It costs us goals and points at the time, and has likely contributed to his ongoing injury problems.  If we had played Leighfield when Martin was first injured and given him time to recover he would likely have been fit now and we wouldn't be chucking in the amount of goals we are at present.  Leighfield probably wouldn't have been at fault for many more goals than a half-fit Martin was, and would certainly have been able to make saves he couldn't.

17 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Binning Robinson was the correct decision.  Playing Martin whilst injured was the mistake.  It costs us goals and points at the time, and has likely contributed to his ongoing injury problems.  If we had played Leighfield when Martin was first injured and given him time to recover he would likely have been fit now and we wouldn't be chucking in the amount of goals we are at present.  Leighfield probably wouldn't have been at fault for many more goals than a half-fit Martin was, and would certainly have been able to make saves he couldn't.

By Robinson I meant an average Championship keeper who could be relied on to start 95% of our games. Martin didn't look fit right from the start of the season even before he got injured. Hindsight it a brilliant thing :)

Edited by TeeMan

Maybe Naysmith should have done as we have in the past and gone directly to SPL teams to get an emergency loan of a youngster when Martin was first out. Maybe we should accept that in most cases a young keeper at Queens is really only going to play in the youth teams and sit on the bench. Most teams at our level will rely picking up keepers as they drop down the ranks having failed to make a breakthrough. When was the last time we brought through a young keeper? David Matheson? Even he was superseded by Colin Scott.

Edited by TeeMan

5 hours ago, steakpiegravy said:

Agree the problem is the entire defence rather than just simply the keeper. However if you have a keeper who needs protection that’s not a great basis on which to push for the playoffs. FWIW I don’t think Leighfield is ready for the responsibility at this level but also don’t think I’ve seen anything in him that suggests he’s good enough for the Championship. Simply doesn’t look imposing enough. Montrose reserve keeper was better than either of ours when we played them.

I think Leighfield is adequate enough as a backup keeper but because of Martin's injury problems he has probably featured more than he should.  I don't think he has cost us any more goals than the keeper he is standing in for or our regular keeper last season. The Montrose keeper,  although at a lower level,  has probably had  more game time to gain experience than Leighfield,  also he is their 1st choice keeper not backup. Does Leighfield need any more protection by his defence than Martin does,  I haven't seen much evidence of this,  and if he does they are certainly not doing it very well at it. 

I quite like Leighfield, we know he's young and inexperienced, apart from defending free kicks on the edge of the box he's done ok. The game time and experience of playing will be priceless to him, Zander Clark is a prime example of this.

18 hours ago, TeeMan said:

By Robinson I meant an average Championship keeper who could be relied on to start 95% of our games. Martin didn't look fit right from the start of the season even before he got injured. Hindsight it a brilliant thing :)

Hey what's your problem? everyone should be happy , loads of goals for the fans to see, Jack gets first team football and continue to satisfy Naysmiths lump it up the pitch somewhere and we will win half the balls, Alan gets his money for nothing and will  and without doubt get his 4th payoff of his career and the "difficult to manage"? Robinson's has the shackles off and appears to be enjoying his football .

Naysmith keeps his job because he hides behind the fact that it's a young team ( who is it that brings in / chooses the players and bins the experienced ones) 

He consistently blames individual mistakes for the reasons of defeat .

The fans are doing the talking with there feet ,foot fall is declining rapidly.

Edited by Besty

Huge gamble now keeping Naysmith  ...Do we keep him in the hope that we improve next season or sack him now  The problem with that he has another year to go so would cost the club a lot of money to get him out  .

In today's Sun they have a story about Chris Doig who is assistant manager at Shrewsbury would someone like him do a better job .

It can't be a easy job being the Queens manager with the budget he had but look at what can be done with a similar budget at Livi with the right man in charge 

If he re-sign Rankin I'll be picking and choosing my games next season. I'm completely fed up with the shite we're being dished up. I can appreciate we are never going to be a club battling at the top and we've been spoiled for the last decade or so but expecting our defence to be able to mark isn't exactly a big demand.

I feel we'll be stuck with Naysmith next season as we probably can't afford to sack him. Ideally the chairman would sack them then step down himself. We can but dream.

Surely we will have a clear out with Rankin 1st out the door

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

If he re-sign Rankin I'll be picking and choosing my games next season. I'm completely fed up with the shite we're being dished up. I can appreciate we are never going to be a club battling at the top and we've been spoiled for the last decade or so but expecting our defence to be able to mark isn't exactly a big demand.

I feel we'll be stuck with Naysmith next season as we probably can't afford to sack him. Ideally the chairman would sack them then step down himself. We can but dream.m

I feel we'll be stuck with Naysmith next season as we probably can't afford to sack him. Ideally the chairman would sack them then step down himself. We can but dream.

If that were to happen then which games you would you choose to attend? Next season looks like it could be tougher than this so just wondering how you would choose.