The Queen of the South thread

Ordering Queens to go back up to Dundee Utd to play the postponed game on Tuesday 6th March is lunacy, but not unusual for the SPFL. Would they instruct the Old Firm to do so? I think not. Have these clowns not realised that the current weather conditions over Scotland have not gone away and it is highly unlikely that we'll have a Spring evening, whatever that is, by Tuesday night. Queens are well within their rights to complain in the strongest possible terms about this. Clearly United aren't that bothered. 

3 hours ago, BeeJay said:

Ordering Queens to go back up to Dundee Utd to play the postponed game on Tuesday 6th March is lunacy, but not unusual for the SPFL. Would they instruct the Old Firm to do so? I think not. Have these clowns not realised that the current weather conditions over Scotland have not gone away and it is highly unlikely that we'll have a Spring evening, whatever that is, by Tuesday night. Queens are well within their rights to complain in the strongest possible terms about this. Clearly United aren't that bothered. 

I heard on the radio that Queens are angry and protesting.

I don't really get it myself.  If it's suitable for the game to go ahead, it will.  If not, it won't.  I don't see that a lovely spring evening is necessary for a football match to happen.

I heard on the radio that Queens are angry and protesting.
I don't really get it myself.  If it's suitable for the game to go ahead, it will.  If not, it won't.  I don't see that a lovely spring evening is necessary for a football match to happen.

But 4 days notice for team and fans is not enough

7 minutes ago, danord said:

But 4 days notice for team and fans is not enough

It used to happen that way all the time with Cup replays.  It certainly happens with Cup ties that get postponed several times.

If the weather allows, get it played.

There is a difference between a Scottish Cup tie where everyone knows in advance it will be replayed or rearranged at short notice and a needless forced early rearrangement of a League match.

In any event the main point here is not really the notice of it (though if the League were going to insist on us playing on Tuesday they should have confirmed so on Wednesday morning when United first requested it and not left it 48 hrs to Friday to tell anyone). The main point is the fact that with continued snow predictions and travel warnings over the next few days, not one of the other twenty or so League games postponed in the last three days has been rearranged for the coming week, but this one has despite only one club being wanting it and there being more than enough spare midweeks to mean it wasnt necessary.

6 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

There is a difference between a Scottish Cup tie where everyone knows in advance it will be replayed or rearranged at short notice and a needless forced early rearrangement of a League match.

In any event the main point here is not really the notice of it (though if the League were going to insist on us playing on Tuesday they should have confirmed so on Wednesday morning when United first requested it and not left it 48 hrs to Friday to tell anyone). The main point is the fact that with continued snow predictions and travel warnings over the next few days, not one of the other twenty or so League games postponed in the last three days has been rearranged for the coming week, but this one has despite only one club being wanting it and there being more than enough spare midweeks to mean it wasnt necessary.

I'll buy the idea that we look like a bit of an anomaly, which in turn raises questions regarding process.

Is it really such bad news for us though?  

5 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'll buy the idea that we look like a bit of an anomaly, which in turn raises questions regarding process.

Is it really such bad news for us though?  

Tell you what, you go ask the Travel Club guys who actually travelled on Tuesday past and intended to travel again to the rearrangement if its really such a big deal.

Its a much bigger inconvenience for them than it is for the actual club. 

Perhaps there will be a major (& currently unpredicted) thaw before Tuesday and there will be no issues. Or perhaps it will become apparent very early that the game has no chance and will be postponed. But more likely it will just mean either a call off when people are already on route again or it goes ahead because the ground is playable but the journey back is a treacherous one in the early hours with drifting snow in places. Lest we forget both the main roads from the M74 to Dumfries  were closed and impassable just last night. Is it really such a stretch given the current forecasts that it could be similar overnight on Tuesday? It will likely be ok but its a thoroughly needless risk and one our players and fans shouldnt be asked to take.

3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Tell you what, you go ask the Travel Club guys who actually travelled on Tuesday past and intended to travel again to the rearrangement if its really such a big deal.

Its a much bigger inconvenience for them than it is for the actual club. 

Perhaps there will be a major (& currently unpredicted) thaw before Tuesday and there will be no issues. Or perhaps it will become apparent very early that the game has no chance and will be postponed. But more likely it will just mean either a call off when people are already on route again or it goes ahead because the ground is playable but the journey back is a treacherous one in the early hours with drifting snow in places. Lest we forget both the main roads from the M74 to Dumfries  were closed and impassable just last night. Is it really such a stretch given the current forecasts that it could be similar overnight on Tuesday? It will likely be ok but its a thoroughly needless risk and one our players and fans shouldnt be asked to take.

Yeah, fair enough.

Other dates might have made more sense, but if travel from here to Dundee remains difficult, then fans can surely choose not to travel, even if they'd rather be present.  I actually expect the roads between the towns to be clear by then, but we'll see.  

I'm sorry, but I also struggle with the idea that the club is upset here on behalf of the put upon fans.  I can think of instances when that's not seemed a primary concern.

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yeah, fair enough.

Other dates might have made more sense, but if travel from here to Dundee remains difficult, then fans can surely choose not to travel, even if they'd rather be present.  I actually expect the roads between the towns to be clear by then, but we'll see.  

I'm sorry, but I also struggle with the idea that the club is upset here on behalf of the put upon fans.  I can think of instances when that's not seemed a primary concern.

How many away games do you attend in a season?

9 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

From where I'm standing it looks an awful lot like you are the one displaying a complete indifference to travelling fans, not the club. 

Cant help but feel your attitude would be very different if you were a regular traveller. Meanwhile, over on the Travel Club site, a very different and pretty unanimous opinion exists.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

From where I'm standing it looks an awful lot like you are the one displaying a complete indifference to travelling fans, not the club. 

Cant help but feel your attitude would be very different if you were a regular traveller. Meanwhile, over on the Travel Club site, a very different and pretty unanimous opinion exists.

I didn't suggest that the club was displaying a complete indifference to traveling fans.

Anyway, if this one gets called off, I'd be amazed (and even sympathetic) if it happens this time with only a couple of hours to spare.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

21 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I didn't suggest that the club was displaying a complete indifference to traveling fans.

Anyway, if this one gets called off, I'd be amazed (and even sympathetic) if it happens this time with only a couple of hours to spare.

Again, thats not really the point is it? If it gets called off on Monday morning there will still be fans who have arranged to take an afternoon off needlessly, two coach companies mucked about needlessly (who would be within their rights to make a cancellation charge but probably won't).

In all likelihood it wont be off on Tuesday. They will either get the pitch cleared Monday or they wont. A yellow alert for snow Tuesday is unlikely to render it unplayable if its already playable. It might but its a long shot. If that did happen then both Dundee United and the SPFL would be left looking very silly. Its not really about whether the game is on or not, its about the travelling conditions for people getting back to Dumfries in the early hours. It may well be fine but its a needless risk.

And I didnt suggest the club was displaying complete indifference to traveling fans either. I said you were, and you continue to do so.

2 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Again, thats not really the point is it? If it gets called off on Monday morning there will still be fans who have arranged to take an afternoon off needlessly, two coach companies mucked about needlessly (who would be within their rights to make a cancellation charge but probably won't).

In all likelihood it wont be off on Tuesday. They will either get the pitch cleared Monday or they wont. A yellow alert for snow Tuesday is unlikely to render it unplayable if its already playable. It might but its a long shot. If that did happen then both Dundee United and the SPFL would be left looking very silly. Its not really about whether the game is on or not, its about the travelling conditions for people getting back to Dumfries in the early hours. It may well be fine but its a needless risk.

And I didnt suggest the club was displaying complete indifference to traveling fans either. I said you were, and you continue to do so.

You're struggling a little with that last bit.  

I didn't suggest that you suggested that the club was displaying indifference.  I instead suggested that you were suggesting that I was suggesting that the club was displaying indifference.  I made no such suggestion.